• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shoei RF1400 Helmet

Shoei RF1400 Helmet

I'm interested. Own an RF1100 and RF700.

Tried on a RF1400 and sizing (XL) is basically the same.

Watched many YouTube reviews.

Most don't mention that vents have a middle position now (I think).

Most don't mention that the center latch is so the seal is evenly squeezed when latched.

Salesman showed me that when you hit the center button the shield pops out enough to unlatch and then you simply lift it with either hand, I think it's going to become simple.

Seal squeeze has a two position lever buried on each hinge side, might find it before winter rides or monsoon rides.

The sales guy showed me the pinlock effect by exhaling close to a pinlock shield and the fog was on the border but not the pinlock area, awesome.

An automatic darkening shield is expected in 2021.

I'm sorry if there is a thread elsewhere already, I'll move this to there.

Good info. I've been a Shoei fan for decades, and currently have an RF1200 and a Neotec II. A Shoei large fits my head shape perfectly. It's like they took a mold of my head while I was sleeping. I'll have to see if my local dealer has an RF1400 in stock.

Full face vs modular

Good info. I've been a Shoei fan for decades, and currently have an RF1200 and a Neotec II. A Shoei large fits my head shape perfectly. It's like they took a mold of my head while I was sleeping. I'll have to see if my local dealer has an RF1400 in stock.

I currently have an RF 1100 which is getting tired. Considering a 1200, 1400 or a Neotec II. Not sure if the 1400 is better enough to justify the added cost over a 1200 which should drop in price once the 1400's become available? Also thinking about a Neotec as an alternative and curious about how much you change between your 1200 and Neotec and what drives your decision to use one over the other.

Thanks for your comments !

I bought my RF-1200 (as a replacement for an older Shoei) because I need a Snell certified helmet for SCCA autocross and for motorcycle track days. I bought the Neotec II for touring because I wanted the built-in communicator.

Thanks Karl.

Do you find a significant difference between your 2 helmets based on the weight and aerodynamic aspects of each? I appreciate the different functionalities that the Neotec offers but wonder what the cost is, if any ?

Bill

The biggest difference I've seen is wind noise. Not the loudness, but the differences in noise level due to head position (head up or tucked down). The differences are small, and I often have music playing through the speakers installed with the communicator in the Neotec, so it's really hard to say one is better than the other.

So it seems it cpmes dpwm to the functionality of the helmet. I'll decide on that basis with a slight consideration of the $ factor.

Thanks again Karl !

Bill

I am also interested in the 1400 since my 1200 is over the 5 years mark. Still unsure if I buy into the 5 year replacement recommendations, but I hesitate to argue against guidance I have nothing but opinion to base opposition on.

I continue to have riding buddies tell me I am missing out by not getting a modular helmet, so the Neotech II is my other primary consideration. Shoei’s fit my head and have been my go to for my last several street helmets. One other helmet has really caught my interest though, the AGV Sport Modular. Problem is I’m not sure where I can try one on and as of yet I have not received any feedback on them beyond the Revzilla video. Any insights on the AGV?

O. Poster here: Loving my RF-1400 after 4 or so cold weather rides (30 deg F).

Shoei RF-1400: Just put my Sena SMH-10 on my RF-1400, even put the ear covers back in over the speakers (minus the foam which I cut off, but the 4 tabs stay on the fabric to hold it back in).

You can separate the hard foam lining slightly away from the shell and slip the clamp in and the wires in. And the speaker boom hops under the chin curtain, just right. The clamp and unit gets near the shield but misses it. No extra ear pinching and I'm so happy. It has a lot of features, even a lever to snug up on the faceshield when the seal gets baggy.

Oh and the air openings each have a midway detent (setting).

The center lock seals very well and getting your thumb near it can easily release it to lift it.

The pinlock is awesome, I don't need to open the shield even for gas fill ups, or slow physical gravel and ditch riding.

The full time rear exhaust sucks in air when you lift your chin up on a fairingless dual sport. If you don't click the front it leaks the slightest amount of air which is good.

It's quieter than my RF-1100, its warmer. The Sena works great although it's a half inch further forward.

RF 1400 in Hot Weather

My RF1400 worked for 4 weeks over 90 deg F sometimes to 110.5 F however:

On my R1200GS LC with stock screen up or down in two helmet mode the 1/2" and 1" open detents would not hold, since I eat small carrots en route, I used one sometimes to hold the visor open a 1/4 sometimes.

When the shield was cracked bugs would enter, go along my temples in the "giant" grooves for eyeglasses leading to bugs crawling around in my ears 5 or more times in 4 weeks.

The front vents put no flow on your face, even though there is flow, it doesn't feel like it until the visor is opened up.

Never used the mid way point on each of 4 vents.

The top two outside vents seemed to be the noisiest but not bad.

Back