• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 R1250 RT Sirius XM Bluetooth connectivity

bones181

Top O the marnin' to ya's, Deano needs some schoolin'
I have a Sirius XM subscription on my RT and it works fine through the on board speakers, which I never use while I'm riding. I do however like to listen privately through my helmet speakers via my Cardo Packtalk bold. Problem is, when I pair the cardo with TFT the quality of the XM signal diminishes to the point of BS.
I've seen a video recommending not to do that and to pair phone to nav VI and nav VI to cardo. probably mw but I haven't had mush success there either. TFT to nav VI?
HELP Please

I listen to Sirius/XM via bluetooth to Cardo Packtalk Bold with the JBL speakers. And I don't think that any loss of fidelity is related to the wireless link to the headset. But helmet speakers are not great at reproducing that signal as high-fidelity audio. The JBL speakers that come with the PTB are better than most of the ones I have used for years. But Cardo does sell a slight upgrade for them. And several other brands are available as replacements.

With respect to the specific sequence of connections to the head unit or the NAV... I've tried it a few ways, and haven't noticed any difference in fidelity. In my opinion, the only reason to swap connections to the Nav is to distribute your limited number of bluetooth connections among your phone, your headset, and your intercom. On older bluetooth intercoms, there was typically only two channels, and you needed one channel for the intercom. So, with your other channel, you could connect to your phone, or your RT head unit, but not both. So, to get around that, you could connect your phone to the Nav, and your second headset channel to the head unit. That worked OK, but not great.

With your PTB, you don't need to do that, as you have a mesh intercom and 2 bluetooth channels. So, you can pair your PTB primary channel to the head unit, and your secondary bluetooth channel to your phone. Nav guidance is transmitted via the head unit to your primary bluetooth channel, and you will hear it interrupt your media or your intercom conversations.

Cap

Top O the marnin' to ya's, Deano needs some schoolin'
I have a Sirius XM subscription on my RT and it works fine through the on board speakers, which I never use while I'm riding. I do however like to listen privately through my helmet speakers via my Cardo Packtalk bold. Problem is, when I pair the cardo with TFT the quality of the XM signal diminishes to the point of BS.
I've seen a video recommending not to do that and to pair phone to nav VI and nav VI to cardo. probably mw but I haven't had mush success there either. TFT to nav VI?
HELP Please

Back when I first got my 2019 RT, 2+ years now, I successfully paired my phone, Nav VI and bike on the first try. Amazing. Everything worked great. But, like you said, the SXM audio quality sucks through the headset. My solution? I did not continue the SXM after the trial period ended. I continued to route the phone through the Nav VI for a little while longer, but eventually stopped. Why? Constant effing interruption from weather alerts. You can't disable the damn alerts when connected to Garmin Smartlink, which I use for the traffic info. So I now use just my phone and Sena 50s.

If your SXM subscription includes internet streaming, and you have a good data link where you are, the audio quality of the internet stream is higher than the satellite radio link. Stream directly through your phone rather than using the satellite receiver.

Sirius XM Connectivity

Deano, please see the attached article which draws heavily on an instructional video by TBD and my own experience. While this uses a Schuberth (by Sena) SC1A as the communicator, it should work the same for a Cardo Packtalk Bold. Good luck!

Kent

Motochello

I had the same expereince and ended up installing a Moto Chello Speaker Bridge. https://www.motochello.com/shop/speaker-bridge-posi-tap-connectors/. It bypasses the dash speakers and lets you plug in wired headphone. I have an extension cable and let the headphone plug dangle just below the seat where I can reach down and plug in my earbuds. It was a little unerving cutting the wires to do the install but the instructions were clear and accurate. I am happy with it. I also bought a $20 bluetooth reciever that I leave in the storage box plugged into the aux in port. I can connect my phone and listen to that in aux mode.

I had the same expereince and ended up installing a Moto Chello Speaker Bridge. https://www.motochello.com/shop/speaker-bridge-posi-tap-connectors/. It bypasses the dash speakers and lets you plug in wired headphone. I have an extension cable and let the headphone plug dangle just below the seat where I can reach down and plug in my earbuds. It was a little unerving cutting the wires to do the install but the instructions were clear and accurate. I am happy with it. I also bought a $20 bluetooth reciever that I leave in the storage box plugged into the aux in port. I can connect my phone and listen to that in aux mode.

Thank you all for a better understanding and options.

Thank you to everyone who responded. I have a better understanding and options.

If your SXM subscription includes internet streaming, and you have a good data link where you are, the audio quality of the internet stream is higher than the satellite radio link. Stream directly through your phone rather than using the satellite receiver.

If I use the streaming feature through my phone will I be using up my data?
I have streamed SXM through the phone a bit but was affraid that I'd use up too much data.

Deano, please see the attached article which draws heavily on an instructional video by TBD and my own experience. While this uses a Schuberth (by Sena) SC1A as the communicator, it should work the same for a Cardo Packtalk Bold. Good luck!

Kent

Hi Kent, I don't see the attached article

If I use the streaming feature through my phone will I be using up my data?
I have streamed SXM through the phone a bit but was affraid that I'd use up too much data.

Yes, it will use data, but I've only ever exceeded a 10GB plan once when the wife accidentally turned on photo backup the first time while away from home wifi...

I stream music a lot, and rarely exceed 4 GB.

Motochello

The poor quality of your audio is likely due to the outdated Bluetooth system on your RT. I have a 16 RT and experienced a similar issue. I installed the Motochello Audio Speaker Bridge and utilize a Sena SM 10 to send a bluetooth signal to my helmet (Schuberth C4 Pro w/ SC1 Advanced audio system). The installation is easy and the quality of the sound is excellent.
Below is a link to a couple of videos that detail the installation process.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SQx-dSW37g&feature=youtu.be

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XScziTi5GLc&feature=youtu.be[/RIGHT]

Back