• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where does it go???

art1100

Greetings fellow Oilheads! I recently had the clutch cable break on my y2k RT. While removing the old one (it broke at near the lever) a tubular felt piece fell out from somewhere in vicinity of the the lever. I went ahead and installed the new cable without it. Now I'm hearing this omission could lead to premature failure of the new cable. I kept the felt piece but have no idea where it goes. Any advice is appreciated!

Regards,
-Art

Last edited:
Greetings fellow Oilheads! I recently had the clutch cable break on my y2k RT. While removing the old one (it broke at near the lever) a tubular felt piece fell out from somewhere in vicinity of the the lever. I went ahead and installed the new cable without it. Now I'm hearing this omission could lead to premature failure of the new cable. I kept the felt piece but have no idea where it goes. Any advice is appreciated!

Regards,
-Art

The diameter of the perch where the cable enters is larger than the cable. It matches the outside diameter of that little felt cylinder. With the cable disconnected at the bottom (easiest) pull the cable sheath back that 3/4 inch or so and put the felt around the cable. Then with your fingers push it into the lever perch. Reattach the cable at the bottom and you are good to go.

The diameter of the perch where the cable enters is larger than the cable. It matches the outside diameter of that little felt cylinder. With the cable disconnected at the bottom (easiest) pull the cable sheath back that 3/4 inch or so and put the felt around the cable. Then with your fingers push it into the lever perch. Reattach the cable at the bottom and you are good to go.

This answer is one of the reasons I Love this Club!

Thanks Paul!

One of the contributors to failure of the clutch cable near the lever is the inability of the cable barrel to rotate in the lever. The barrel is the metal (usually lead) cylinder at the end of the cable. This piece fits in the lever with a slot through which the cable passes. When the lever is pulled tension is placed on the cable and ideally the barrel will slightly rotate as the angle between the lever and the cable changes. If the barrel can't rotate the cable is forced to bend a bit. Over time this bending or flexing of the cable leads to failure.

One of the periodic maintenance steps should include removal of the clutch lever, cleaning of the barrel hole and slot, and re-applying some grease. As mentioned previously if the clutch cable is disconnected from the end nearest the clutch first (and reconnected last) the clutch cable and lever are easier to remove and service.

The BMW clutch cables have a teflon lining and do not benefit from addition of a lubricant directly into the cable. This lubrication into the cable was necessary with older cables found on other bikes, but can lead to accumulation of dust/dirt, wear of the teflon liner, and difficulty in operation. Some bit of grease to the barrel after cleaning is beneficial.

Back