• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gofers the new 2021 RT

Well, consider, if you need rear breaking to do 'control-drifting' around corners, you should probably be riding a Ninja or some other racing bike.
That kind of riding is too sophisticated to be done on an RT with bags, fairings, etc. Sportstouring bikes are typically a compromise of a fairly good handling bike for touring. Compromise that often leads to mediocrity. IE: the FJR is more of a sports than touring but neither, the Wing is more of a touring, the C14 is a rocket but by sports bike standard a pig to handle, just like the Wing.

I have never been able to understand why people hot-rod on Wings, K16, RT nor any other touring or otherwise bike not made for that purpose.

It’s not a case of sophistication, or Hot Rod. A lot of riders have been riding long enough to know how to use two individual brakes, and like using the rear brake on occasion – while we still have the choice. Some of us like to be able to use the rear brake in good twisties if needed, but I use it most often in slow speed maneuvers, and slow speed stops.

I like Technology as much a anyone, but I would rather operate the bike than have the computer operate it. Technology should have its limits. And, I never did like Ninjas.

This is just my opinion. And, I only used the quote because I think it is interesting that it is attributed to Mark Twain, although there is absolutely no proof of it. Like the so-called alternative facts, I guess it is an alternative quote. :)

"it is easier to fool people than to get them to admit they have been fooled"
Attributed to Mark Twain, but without any proof he ever said it.

Last edited:
Mind you, I ain't no expert on racing...

...but I thought I read somewhere that braking the front would cause the bike to sink into a curve and the opposite happens when you break the rear around a curve--think vector-physics here. breaking the rear around the curve is not the correct thing to do--I thought. I could be wrong about this. I am sure the racing wizards will come out of the woods to correct me if that be the case.

Speaking of the 2021 RT and brakes, one small point to note is that the ‘21 models come with fully integrated braking, like the ‘04 RT had. The ability to use the rear brake alone in low-speed maneuvers is very important to some users, which begs the question of whether the authority models will have fully integrated braking. Just a thought...

Best,
DeVern

I didn't like this feature on my 04RT and damn sure I wouldn't want it on a 2021RT. What was BMW thinking when they decided to bring this crap back on the 2021RT ? How about putting a switch on the RT so if you want to turn off the fully integral brakes you can, I believe the GS had this feature so why not the RT ? My current 18RT has over 90K miles on it and was thinking of getting a 21RT next summer but may have to find a low mileage 20RT instead.

Mind you, I ain't no expert on racing...

...but I thought I read somewhere that braking the front would cause the bike to sink into a curve and the opposite happens when you break the rear around a curve--think vector-physics here. breaking the rear around the curve is not the correct thing to do--I thought. I could be wrong about this. I am sure the racing wizards will come out of the woods to correct me if that be the case.

There are reasons to use the front or rear brake in the twisties. I just can not remember any more! Although I remember dragging some rear brake coming down the east side on the Big horns on 14. My riding buddy was in front and he decided to pass a car right before a corner, so of course I had to follow him. Only I had less room so I needed more speed to make the pass so ended up getting past the car and dragging rear brake to scrub off some speed before I ran over my buddy! Afterwards he told me how he was all out going around that corner, leaned over dragging the footboard on his Harley. He is a pretty decent rider. Then he looked in the mirror and I was catching him. He was on an '08 Ultra, I was on a '10 Ultra. He was riding solo, I had mama on the back plus we were loaded for a week. Harley changed frames in 2009 and there was a big difference in handling, still crappy handling, but a better crappy!

Precisely. Watch a motor officer training course and see how much the rear brake alone is used in low-speed tight maneuvers. And, it’s not just parking lot maneuvers. I can think of several campgrounds and resorts I’ve ridden in and out of where steep gravel roads, wet surfaces, and similar issues created rear-brake-only spots.

The only electronics BMW could add to make this workable is an “OFF” switch, which is pretty much what they did after the ‘04 RTs were panned over this issue.

I’m wondering if this is a response to an EU safety regulation?

DeVern
Hum, wonder if my 2005 r1200rt has linked brakes....thinking not but it does have that power assist brake thing plus the ‘free’ bonus...have to replace the fuel sensor strip crap...which I have yet to do but need to.

Hum, wonder if my 2005 r1200rt has linked brakes....thinking not but it does have that power assist brake thing plus the ‘free’ bonus...have to replace the fuel sensor strip crap...which I have yet to do but need to.
The 2005 R1200RT has partial linked brakes like all RTs up to the 2021 RT. Sometimes I wonder if the Germans are smoking crack when they make decisions like this. To the best of my knowledge, no one was asking for a return to the past with fully linked brakes. Maybe it's the same people who asked for an electronic gas cap with no manual key backup in case of failure that costs over $600 in parts and labor when it fails. BMW did deliver on some features people were asking for, but it always seems like they have to find a way to muck it up. In 2005 you got partially integrated brakes but you had to keep the cursed servo setup. Today, here's the goodies you asked for on the 2021 RT but we are taking away the partially integrated brakes you have loved so much and replaced it with the crappy fully linked brakes that you hated. I wonder if full servo brakes are next up in 2022... :banghead

I didn't like this feature on my 04RT and damn sure I wouldn't want it on a 2021RT. What was BMW thinking when they decided to bring this crap back on the 2021RT ? How about putting a switch on the RT so if you want to turn off the fully integral brakes you can, I believe the GS had this feature so why not the RT ? My current 18RT has over 90K miles on it and was thinking of getting a 21RT next summer but may have to find a low mileage 20RT instead.

BMW: "Wir wissen, was das Beste für Sie ist." :german

... In 2005 you got partially integrated brakes but you had to keep the cursed servo setup...I wonder if full servo brakes are next up in 2022... :banghead
Darn, now that just hurt. Wish mine did not have them but it is what it is.
So what % partially integrated are the 2005 brakes I wonder...he types as he fails to do a Google search.

Ok, I can learn to Fish myself lol. Indeed I like my brake setup, well save for the Servo and dam ‘broken’ fuel strip.

only the front lever action is linked with the rear brake—the rear pedal just applies the rear brake.

Someone please tell me bmw no longer used that cursed ‘old’ Fuel Strip in the current 2020 nor new 2020 r1250rt models? It would be enough to make me not buy one if they do. For that matter what years did/does bmw use that Fuel Strip?
Ride safe all

Darn, now that just hurt. Wish mine did not have them but it is what it is.
So what % partially integrated are the 2005 brakes I wonder...he types as he fails to do a Google search.

Ok, I can learn to Fish myself lol. Indeed I like my brake setup, well save for the Servo and dam ‘broken’ fuel strip.

only the front lever action is linked with the rear brake—the rear pedal just applies the rear brake.

Someone please tell me bmw no longer used that cursed ‘old’ Fuel Strip in the current 2020 nor new 2020 r1250rt models? It would be enough to make me not buy one if they do. For that matter what years did/does bmw use that Fuel Strip?
Ride safe all

It's been a while. I believe the RTs got regular fuel sensors as of model year '10.
Re integrated brakes, my old fjr had the rear partially integrated with the front. IIRC one piston out of three up front was linked. It was never an issue except one set of pads out of three would wear faster. You could swap them around to even the wear. LOL
I also rode Goldwings GL1800 with integrated brakes and those too weren't a problem.
So, I guess, it all depends on how "integrated" the new brakes are and probably if you ride like you're on a race track or something. I don't, so not an issue.

Communication System

Hey Folks

Did any of you get the BMW communication system with your 2021RT? Are you using it? How does it compare to Send?

Thanks.

Ken

I'm going to wait and see just how BMW integrated the front brake with the rear pedal before I pass judgement. The RT now has a lean angle sensor, so it's possible the system will be smart enough not to apply the front brake when leaned over at slow speeds.

Back