Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gofers the new 2021 RT

Gofers the new 2021 RT

How many of you are going for the 2021 RT model and why?

I am because I traded my perfectly good running 2018RT (my 4th one) for a 2019 Wing...and I miss the sheetatta my RT
    "...whether is clear to you or not, the universe is unfolding as it should"

Quote Originally Posted by Wethead View Post

I am because I traded my perfectly good running 2018RT (my 4th one) for a 2019 Wing...and I miss the sheetatta my RT
    Waiting to see a 2021 R1250RT on the floor, available to purchase, wearing Brembo. 'Till then, I have my eye on several nice airheads on the market. Apples and oranges, but the latter may be had for <$10K, I can work on them myself, and I grew up on 'em.
    "Solσ el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM

Interesting. What didn't you like about the Wing?
    Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun...but Mama, that's where the fun is!

2009 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic (aka Champipple), 2007 Honda VFR RWB

Quote Originally Posted by langoptc View Post
    Interesting. What didn't you like about the Wing?
    I like the Wing and it is an excellent bike...especially to ride cross country....I guess I am getting older and want a lighter bike. Also, I deem both the Wing and the RT excellent rides; but basically, I just like the characteristics of the RT better.

Be that as it may, I would still say that riding from coast to coast: The Wing is best.

I spend Summers riding cross country, but then I spend the other 9 months riding in a city where the RT is a more fun bike...and, dont get me wrong, I can travel on the RT also that's not problem. I done Diego to NY several times on RT/s. I had four of them.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with 2 bikes 🏍 🏍
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Nothing wrong with 2 bikes 🏍 🏍
    OM
    I just don't have that luxury. I am too busy to mind 2 bikes during the year, and I am too poor to maintain 2 of them, and I am too dumb to maintain them myself plus I wouldn't have time even if I could. I am a slave teacher...err, I mean, school teacher.

In BMW terms, my '18 RT is just getting broke-in. Right now I'm interested in reading about how the BMW Motorrad leaking brake, cam failure, and technology issues are working out. Also, just got another two-wheeler - a Turbo Vado SL 4.0 Eq. My aging legs need some help getting up these hills, and with news of the vaccine I'm beginning to plan a long RT trip.

May God bless school teachers, and first responders...

E.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 1957mpd View Post
    Waiting to see a 2021 R1250RT on the floor, available to purchase, wearing Brembo. 'Till then, I have my eye on several nice airheads on the market. Apples and oranges, but the latter may be had for <$10K, I can work on them myself, and I grew up on 'em.

don't think you'll be able to purchase any new R1250RT (GS, etc), 2020 or 2021, with other than Brembo brakes on them. The stop sale bikes will be converted before a customer could buy them and the 2021s will come with them. The '21 RT has vastly improved electronics (TFT, etc.) and complete LED lighting. The 2020 is a bit more conservative with it's TFT/conventional instrument panel. If you're ok with that than it's the same bike as the 2021. You will, however, most likely get a better deal on a 2020 since they have to get them sold before they can really market the 2021s. Just my opinion
    2020 R1250RT 719
    2013 F800GT
    2017 Goldwing Prowler RT Trike

Quote Originally Posted by Wethead View Post

Not me. My 2019 R1250RT only has about 13,500 on it and I love it. I'm not chomping at the bit to get the 2021 for the new electronics, especially not until I hear how they are in the wild. But, I would love the have the adaptive LED headlight and LED high beams.

I think going from a 1200 wethead RT makes a lot more sense. The 1250 engine is one of the sweetest ever made for the street.
    Scott Taranovich
    McKinney, Texas
    2019 R1250RT

Speaking of the 2021 RT and brakes, one small point to note is that the ‘21 models come with fully integrated braking, like the ‘04 RT had. The ability to use the rear brake alone in low-speed maneuvers is very important to some users, which begs the question of whether the authority models will have fully integrated braking. Just a thought...

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Speaking of the 2021 RT and brakes, one small point to note is that the ‘21 models come with fully integrated braking, like the ‘04 RT had. The ability to use the rear brake alone in low-speed maneuvers is very important to some users, which begs the question of whether the authority models will have fully integrated braking. Just a thought...

Best,
    DeVern
    Spot on...

George R. Lambright
    "it is easier to fool people than to get them to admit they have been fooled"
    Attributed to Mark Twain, but without any proof he ever said it.

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Spot on...

George R. Lambright
    "it is easier to fool people than to get them to admit they have been fooled"
    Attributed to Mark Twain, but without any proof he ever said it.

Well, consider, if you need rear breaking to do 'control-drifting' around corners, you should probably be riding a Ninja or some other racing bike.
    That kind of riding is too sophisticated to be done on an RT with bags, fairings, etc. Sportstouring bikes are typically a compromise of a fairly good handling bike for touring. Compromise that often leads to mediocrity. IE: the FJR is more of a sports than touring but neither, the Wing is more of a touring, the C14 is a rocket but by sports bike standard a pig to handle, just like the Wing.

I have never been able to understand why people hot-rod on Wings, K16, RT nor any other touring or otherwise bike not made for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Speaking of the 2021 RT and brakes, one small point to note is that the ‘21 models come with fully integrated braking, like the ‘04 RT had.
    I'm surprised to see that. I hope BMW does not start using fully integrated brakes on other models.
    I'm used to using rear brake only for slow tight U turns.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I'm surprised to see that. I hope BMW does not start using fully integrated brakes on other models.
    Didn't BMW add braking software so the bike wouldn't stand up in a corner, maybe it will help during slow maneuvers?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Precisely. Watch a motor officer training course and see how much the rear brake alone is used in low-speed tight maneuvers. And, it’s not just parking lot maneuvers. I can think of several campgrounds and resorts I’ve ridden in and out of where steep gravel roads, wet surfaces, and similar issues created rear-brake-only spots.

The only electronics BMW could add to make this workable is an “OFF” switch, which is pretty much what they did after the ‘04 RTs were panned over this issue.

I’m wondering if this is a response to an EU safety regulation?

DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138