Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 23-25, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by DBCasey View Post
    Bill,

Thanks for the kind words about Pine Mountain. The KY Crew and I tried hard to make it a fun event and I feel like we did a pretty good job, while following the national and state COVID protocols.

I hope you'll be attending this years Pine Mountain Getaway. We've got some more great routes scouted out to share and even a GS specific route for our knobby tire brethren!

Take care and ride safe,
    Daryl Casey
    Pine Mountain Getaway Co-Host
    Hey Daryl,

You & the crew did a great job! We cant wait to come back.

Plan is to do Fontana, Dillard, GA and of course Pine Mountain, KY this year. See you soon
    Bill Rorke #200394
    Chesnee, SC
    2019 R1250 RT
    2009 R1200 GSA

I've been going to the K1600 (Now BMW) TTD at Iron Horse for the last 5 years, but have not been to an MOA gathering since I was a kid riding with my dad (in the 70s/80s). I look forward to meeting new friends at Fontana.
    Converted Harley Davidson rider.

Good news for those attending today the NC Governor relaxed restrictions on gatherings, restaurants and bars. Not at 100% but getting there. I donít think TN really closed anything, at least not in the tourist areas. At the end of the season last year there was a sign on the door at Deals Gap MC MC resort stating if you were not wearing a mask they assumed you have a medical condition which they are not allowed to ask about. Enjoy the event. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/co...250141814.html
    Marc Kitts
    2010 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by krazyhank View Post
    At the end of the season last year there was a sign on the door at Deals Gap MC MC resort stating if you were not wearing a mask they assumed you have a medical condition which they are not allowed to ask about.
    A few merchants in Texas say the same idiotic thing. They mean they don't care.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

New Member Attending fm Western North Carolina

Have made all the reservations and being a new member looking forward to attending. I'm in Hickory, North Carolina and if anyone is passing through or in the general area and might be interested in riding together, please just give a shout.

Tinels,
    Welcome to the club. Enjoy your Getaway in Fontana... itís one of the best. Iíll be attending the Riding into History event in Saint Augustine, FL that weekend, running a recruitment booth.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Passing thru Hickory in route to Fontana

Quote Originally Posted by tlnels View Post
    Have made all the reservations and being a new member looking forward to attending. I'm in Hickory, North Carolina and if anyone is passing through or in the general area and might be interested in riding together, please just give a shout.
    Hey tlnels,

Our route will take us thru Hickory on the way to Fontana. We're taking secondary highways and trying to avoid I40.
    Leaving the morning of the 23rd. Can't check into the Lodge until 4, so there's no real hurry to get there.
    We're coming out of Winston so it should be about 6 hours (depending on traffic) according to Google.
    I've been to other rallies by myself, but this is the first MOA Getaway, and first with having my spouse along for the ride.

Dave
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524
    Past Bikes: BMW F650CS

Quote Originally Posted by dsdragt View Post
    Hey tlnels,

Our route will take us thru Hickory on the way to Fontana. We're taking secondary highways and trying to avoid I40.
    Leaving the morning of the 23rd. Can't check into the Lodge until 4, so there's no real hurry to get there.
    We're coming out of Winston so it should be about 6 hours (depending on traffic) according to Google.
    I've been to other rallies by myself, but this is the first MOA Getaway, and first with having my spouse along for the ride.

Dave
    Have you planned your route past Hickory? I live in Rutherfordton and may try to join you on route.

Doug H

Quote Originally Posted by douginnc View Post
    Have you planned your route past Hickory? I live in Rutherfordton and may try to join you on route.

Doug H
    Hi Doug,

Yep.... our planned route (mostly Rt 70) takes us through Hickory. The closest stop to you would probably be Old Fort.
    Which is about 3 hours 42 minutes (from our start point) with traffic per Google, no traffic is about 3 hours 12 minutes.
    Our goal is to leave the house between 8:00 & 8:30. Based on Google, that would put us in Old Fort between 11:45 & 12:30.

Old Fort Rt 70.JPG
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524

Fontana Getaway

Well I'm looking forward to the Fontana Getaway this coming weekend! I'll be riding up from GA. I have been riding that area for many years and I know the roads are awesome. Should be a lot of fun if the weather stays good. I will look forward to meeting this year's attendees.

dp

Hi Doug,

Yep.... our planned route (mostly Rt 70) takes us through Hickory. The closest stop to you would probably be Old Fort.
    Which is about 3 hours 42 minutes (from our start point) with traffic per Google, no traffic is about 3 hours 12 minutes.
    Our goal is to leave the house between 8:00 & 8:30. Based on Google, that would put us in Old Fort between 11:45 & 12:30.

Old Fort Rt 70.JPG
    Thanks for the info. I just realized Iíll already be there. Iím traveling onto Fontana on the 22 nd.

Lunch in Old Fort

Hey Dave,

I’ve got a place in Old Fort, so I’ll be leaving early on Friday morning from there... that being said, as you come to the stop light in Old Fort- turn left across the train tracks, about two blocks on your right is the Old Fort Ride House (coffee shop and meet up place for cyclists). Big gravel parking lot behind - and next door is Hillman Brewery - the food is fantastic! Lot of open air seating. I’ll be eating dinner here Thursday night. Highly recommended!

...Line

Hi Doug,

Old Fort Rt 70.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by nctouring View Post
    Hey Dave,

Iíve got a place in Old Fort, so Iíll be leaving early on Friday morning from there... that being said, as you come to the stop light in Old Fort- turn left across the train tracks, about two blocks on your right is the Old Fort Ride House (coffee shop and meet up place for cyclists). Big gravel parking lot behind - and next door is Hillman Brewery - the food is fantastic! Lot of open air seating. Iíll be eating dinner here Thursday night. Highly recommended!

...Line
    nctouring.... Thanks for the info! Hillman looks like a cool place to eat! We'll check it out for lunch. That's just over our halfway point, so that would be a great time to stop for a break.

Dave
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524

Quote Originally Posted by douginnc View Post
    Thanks for the info. I just realized Iíll already be there. Iím traveling onto Fontana on the 22 nd.
    Doug,

No problem.... Safe travels!
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524

Quote Originally Posted by nctouring View Post
    Hey Dave,

Iíve got a place in Old Fort, so Iíll be leaving early on Friday morning from there... that being said, as you come to the stop light in Old Fort- turn left across the train tracks, about two blocks on your right is the Old Fort Ride House (coffee shop and meet up place for cyclists). Big gravel parking lot behind - and next door is Hillman Brewery - the food is fantastic! Lot of open air seating. Iíll be eating dinner here Thursday night. Highly recommended!

...Line
    That place looks great! Thanks for sharing. We're not heading through there Friday, but will definitely check that place out in the very near future
    Bill Rorke #200394
    Chesnee, SC
    2019 R1250 RT
    2009 R1200 GSA