• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 23-25, 2021

Tinels,
Welcome to the club. Enjoy your Getaway in Fontana... it’s one of the best. I’ll be attending the Riding into History event in Saint Augustine, FL that weekend, running a recruitment booth.

Passing thru Hickory in route to Fontana

Have made all the reservations and being a new member looking forward to attending. I'm in Hickory, North Carolina and if anyone is passing through or in the general area and might be interested in riding together, please just give a shout.

Hey tlnels,

Our route will take us thru Hickory on the way to Fontana. We're taking secondary highways and trying to avoid I40.
Leaving the morning of the 23rd. Can't check into the Lodge until 4, so there's no real hurry to get there.
We're coming out of Winston so it should be about 6 hours (depending on traffic) according to Google.
I've been to other rallies by myself, but this is the first MOA Getaway, and first with having my spouse along for the ride.

Dave

Hey tlnels,

Our route will take us thru Hickory on the way to Fontana. We're taking secondary highways and trying to avoid I40.
Leaving the morning of the 23rd. Can't check into the Lodge until 4, so there's no real hurry to get there.
We're coming out of Winston so it should be about 6 hours (depending on traffic) according to Google.
I've been to other rallies by myself, but this is the first MOA Getaway, and first with having my spouse along for the ride.

Dave

Have you planned your route past Hickory? I live in Rutherfordton and may try to join you on route.

Doug H

Have you planned your route past Hickory? I live in Rutherfordton and may try to join you on route.

Doug H

Hi Doug,

Yep.... our planned route (mostly Rt 70) takes us through Hickory. The closest stop to you would probably be Old Fort.
Which is about 3 hours 42 minutes (from our start point) with traffic per Google, no traffic is about 3 hours 12 minutes.
Our goal is to leave the house between 8:00 & 8:30. Based on Google, that would put us in Old Fort between 11:45 & 12:30.

Old Fort Rt 70.JPG

Fontana Getaway

Well I'm looking forward to the Fontana Getaway this coming weekend! I'll be riding up from GA. I have been riding that area for many years and I know the roads are awesome. Should be a lot of fun if the weather stays good. I will look forward to meeting this year's attendees.

dp

Hi Doug,

Yep.... our planned route (mostly Rt 70) takes us through Hickory. The closest stop to you would probably be Old Fort.
Which is about 3 hours 42 minutes (from our start point) with traffic per Google, no traffic is about 3 hours 12 minutes.
Our goal is to leave the house between 8:00 & 8:30. Based on Google, that would put us in Old Fort between 11:45 & 12:30.

View attachment 83229

Thanks for the info. I just realized I’ll already be there. I’m traveling onto Fontana on the 22 nd.

Lunch in Old Fort

Hey Dave,

I’ve got a place in Old Fort, so I’ll be leaving early on Friday morning from there... that being said, as you come to the stop light in Old Fort- turn left across the train tracks, about two blocks on your right is the Old Fort Ride House (coffee shop and meet up place for cyclists). Big gravel parking lot behind - and next door is Hillman Brewery - the food is fantastic! Lot of open air seating. I’ll be eating dinner here Thursday night. Highly recommended!

...Line

Hi Doug,

View attachment 83229

Hey Dave,

I’ve got a place in Old Fort, so I’ll be leaving early on Friday morning from there... that being said, as you come to the stop light in Old Fort- turn left across the train tracks, about two blocks on your right is the Old Fort Ride House (coffee shop and meet up place for cyclists). Big gravel parking lot behind - and next door is Hillman Brewery - the food is fantastic! Lot of open air seating. I’ll be eating dinner here Thursday night. Highly recommended!

...Line

nctouring.... Thanks for the info! Hillman looks like a cool place to eat! We'll check it out for lunch. That's just over our halfway point, so that would be a great time to stop for a break.

Dave

Hey Dave,

...Line

That place looks great! Thanks for sharing. We're not heading through there Friday, but will definitely check that place out in the very near future

That place looks great! Thanks for sharing. We're not heading through there Friday, but will definitely check that place out in the very near future

Bill,

I hope we meet this weekend. We basically live down the road from each other. I’m in Rutherfordton.

Doug Haddock
2014 GSA

Weather forecast calling for 100% chance of rain Saturday, up to 1 inch. Looks like it might be a day drinking kind of day!
DC

Bill,

I hope we meet this weekend. We basically live down the road from each other. I’m in Rutherfordton.

Doug Haddock
2014 GSA

Hey Doug,

We're in your area quite often. I'll be there tomorrow w/my wife Nicole (2-up) on our white R1250RT. See ya soon.

Weather forecast calling for 100% chance of rain Saturday, up to 1 inch. Looks like it might be a day drinking kind of day!
DC

Fingers crossed hoping things change for the better. Nothing showing up on radar yet so ya never know. But if its a washout, we'll be at the bar :drink:buds

Back