• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 23-25, 2021

Sounds good

I already received info from the resort confirming my previous reservation was moved to these dates. FYI
Ron

I'm a new member. I first learned of this event on Facebook. It was at the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort. Did it switch to this (better) place?

I'm pretty enthused now, this place appears to be much better. I tried calling and no answer so I'll try again. Any comments are welcome!

I'm a new member. I first learned of this event on Facebook. It was at the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort. Did it switch to this (better) place?

I'm pretty enthused now, this place appears to be much better. I tried calling and no answer so I'll try again. Any comments are welcome!

When did the BMW MOA hold an event at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort?

Fontana Getaway -- Filled

I called today to see if I could sign up -- Nope! I attended the last one (two years ago), and asked (the woman on the phone at MOA) if she knew how they were handling Covid-19. She didn't have specific information but suggested they may have cut the number of allowable attendees. I wasn't going to go unless I had received the vaccine, and now I have, but I wonder how others are approaching this. Based on my previous experience with this event, avoiding the three "C's" of Covid spreading (Contact, Crowds, inClosed spaces) would be very difficult, so I'm curious as to the attitude of others. :scratch

I called today to see if I could sign up -- Nope! I attended the last one (two years ago), and asked (the woman on the phone at MOA) if she knew how they were handling Covid-19. She didn't have specific information but suggested they may have cut the number of allowable attendees. I wasn't going to go unless I had received the vaccine, and now I have, but I wonder how others are approaching this. Based on my previous experience with this event, avoiding the three "C's" of Covid spreading (Contact, Crowds, inClosed spaces) would be very difficult, so I'm curious as to the attitude of others. :scratch

Indeed the "big question."

I think it's a mix of whatever the local and state governments have in place, the policies of the resort and the obligation of the individual to exercise best practices all working together to make an event like this work.

I'm all for folks making the best decision for themselves and the public around them. The beauty of getting the vaccine or being anti-body positive is the need to worry about someone else's decisions is pretty much moot.

My wife & I will be there. We'll have our masks when we need to, keep a safe distance and have FUN. We went to the Pine Mountain Getaway this past Sept. Limited to 50 people and everyone played it safe and was respectful. Have to say we had an absolute blast.:clap

To those who will be in attendance, I wish you safe and joyous riding and bonding. Some of my greatest memories are from this getaway at this location.

Rhonda and I will be attending Orange Beach next weekend, to get the Getaway season kicked off right!

Fontana MOA Getaway.... Spots were still available as of 2/9/2021

Hmmm.... Not sure why you were told that it was full, but we were able to register online last night (2/9/2021) for the Getaway in Fontana. Received our confirmation notification by email. The resort still has open rooms in the lodge and/or cabins available to rent.

We'll be bringing all the necessary equipment in order to remain safe.

Traveling from the Winston Salem, NC area.

Last edited:
Anyone from the Triangle area in NC attending?

This will be my first MOA event and wondering if anyone from the greater Chapel Hill, NC area attending that might want to ride to the event together.

Thanks,
Gary

Hey Gary - I’m in Durham and am considering it, but not sure if I can go on the first day. Have you joined our local club? I just joined this week and met some folks on the second Tuesday dinner this week. There may be folks from the club that are going to.

https://www.tarheelbmw.org/

This will be my first MOA event and wondering if anyone from the greater Chapel Hill, NC area attending that might want to ride to the event together.

Thanks,
Gary

I just discovered them last week and I am meeting some tomorrow at Carolina Brewery off 64 at 10:00 for the first time. I will probably join the group.

Hey Gary - I’m in Durham and am considering it, but not sure if I can go on the first day. Have you joined our local club? I just joined this week and met some folks on the second Tuesday dinner this week. There may be folks from the club that are going to.

https://www.tarheelbmw.org/

I just discovered them last week and I am meeting some tomorrow at Carolina Brewery off 64 at 10:00 for the first time. I will probably join the group.

You guys are going to have a great time there! I've attended three times in the past but will miss it this year. A great spot with some great riding. Lucky you!

Thanks!

My wife & I will be there. We'll have our masks when we need to, keep a safe distance and have FUN. We went to the Pine Mountain Getaway this past Sept. Limited to 50 people and everyone played it safe and was respectful. Have to say we had an absolute blast.:clap

Bill,

Thanks for the kind words about Pine Mountain. The KY Crew and I tried hard to make it a fun event and I feel like we did a pretty good job, while following the national and state COVID protocols.

I hope you'll be attending this years Pine Mountain Getaway. We've got some more great routes scouted out to share and even a GS specific route for our knobby tire brethren!

Take care and ride safe,
Daryl Casey
Pine Mountain Getaway Co-Host

Bill,

Thanks for the kind words about Pine Mountain. The KY Crew and I tried hard to make it a fun event and I feel like we did a pretty good job, while following the national and state COVID protocols.

I hope you'll be attending this years Pine Mountain Getaway. We've got some more great routes scouted out to share and even a GS specific route for our knobby tire brethren!

Take care and ride safe,
Daryl Casey
Pine Mountain Getaway Co-Host

Hey Daryl,

You & the crew did a great job! We cant wait to come back.

Plan is to do Fontana, Dillard, GA and of course Pine Mountain, KY this year. See you soon :beer

I've been going to the K1600 (Now BMW) TTD at Iron Horse for the last 5 years, but have not been to an MOA gathering since I was a kid riding with my dad (in the 70s/80s). I look forward to meeting new friends at Fontana.

Good news for those attending today the NC Governor relaxed restrictions on gatherings, restaurants and bars. Not at 100% but getting there. I don’t think TN really closed anything, at least not in the tourist areas. At the end of the season last year there was a sign on the door at Deals Gap MC MC resort stating if you were not wearing a mask they assumed you have a medical condition which they are not allowed to ask about. Enjoy the event. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article250141814.html

At the end of the season last year there was a sign on the door at Deals Gap MC MC resort stating if you were not wearing a mask they assumed you have a medical condition which they are not allowed to ask about.

A few merchants in Texas say the same idiotic thing. They mean they don't care.

New Member Attending fm Western North Carolina

Have made all the reservations and being a new member looking forward to attending. I'm in Hickory, North Carolina and if anyone is passing through or in the general area and might be interested in riding together, please just give a shout.

Back