• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Manual GPS complete with overview and constant zoom. 2021 edition

That works sometimes if you travel on interstates.
Arkansas does a good job of having welcome centers with maps on 2 lane roads.
A motel we stayed at in Arkansas this year had a big stack of state maps in the lobby.

We got pulled over one Sunday morning by small town Arkansas LEO, no infractions, just a hello and an offer of free maps. We took the maps, asked of local eatery he pointed to down a side street and off we went. Still smile thinking of that encounter.

My encounter with an Arkansas LEO was nothing like that. Or the one in South Dakota, Illinois, and Missouri. Hmmm, 46 left to go. :)

My encounter with an Arkansas LEO was nothing like that. Or the one in South Dakota, Illinois, and Missouri. Hmmm, 46 left to go. :)

:whistle

I have had others as well... this one was just out of the blue friendly. And a free map! I asked a fella in Kentucky if he had a map being a smartass and he wasn’t so friendly:banghead

I have another of H taking a selfie somewhere in Arkansas as we made a dash to outrun a cold front, he told her to ease up until the TX border. No map...no citation either! Helps when she’s lead pilot/navigator and I’m wingman.

great news about the new manual gps. I always like to look at where I'm going , so I have a good picture in my head, so I always have a copy with me. It's not that I don't trust my NavIV, but technology does fail. Met too many people stuck in the snow on cross country trail telling me that the GPS brought them this way.

The best navigation setup I had was my wife when she used to ride on the back.
She always had a map in a waterproof holder and would give me directions. Since she did not have to watch the road she could take a close look at the map and tell me the distance to the next town and tell me if it looked big enough for gas, motel, ect. She also has a great internal compass and knows if we are headed in the wrong direction.
It was great going through a city on the interstate, she would watch the road signs and I watched the traffic.

What I like with paper is you know where you are, with a gps you are just “here” in the center always riding to the top of the screen.

What are dimensions?

Amazon:
Large scale: Spiral Binding 264 pages Dimensions: 10.375" x 15.375", $17.96

Standard scale: Dimensions: 10.875" x 15.375", $13.45

Mid-size: Dimensions: 8” x 10.8”, $9.95

Standard scale with vinyl cover: $16.16

What I like with paper is you know where you are, with a gps you are just “here” in the center always riding to the top of the screen.

And- with the map, I have “seen” an overview of my travel path. I don’t think I could run a GPS while I ride......not in this area with the traffic and drivers thinking nothing of taking the exits from the third lane.
OM

Thought mine was a Rand McNally, but it's the National Geographic map of the US states. Big spiral bound, like others, take the pages necessary for planned trips as back up to the Nav4.

Have others noticed the Rand McNally Easy Read state maps have less detail than the normal scale?
Fever roads are shown on the Easy Read maps.

Zoom

My zoom lenses are not working as well as they use too. I have to pull over and use my 2.5 magnifying lenses:gerg

+1 on the Butler maps. I use them to find the good roads, then use basecamp and gps to get to them.

Likewise in my case... excellent planning and execution stratagem. If you see me on the side of the road with a bike betwixt me legs and I have a map pulled out I’m lost. My GPS failed, my smart phone failed, my wingman left me, I took a wrong turn and haven’t seen a road sign in miles.

We were doing a rideabout on double-letter roads in south central Missouri. The road we were on was going generally from east to west, but was quite curvy and also it did some jogs. We jogged into a small town going north and I missed the sign where ZZ or whatever the road designation was turned left to head more generally west. We proceeded north out of town and then the road veered to the east. I quickly figured out my error and signaled Voni we were doing a U-turn. When we got to a stop sign in town she looked over at me and declared, "Two GPSs and a map and you still get lost." :)

Available on Amazon and places like Staples, The latest Manual GPS is now available!

e1c8fe7a-e002-4950-a153-1c9c5c74c13d.__CR0,11,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Always charged, basically theft-proof (people have forgot the real value) with easily copied pages for mark-up.

Start dreaming of you next adventure
Rand McNally Road Atlases

For generations, Rand McNally has been compiling accurate, detailed maps and travel information into the ultimate road trip accessory.

The 2021 editions feature fully updated maps, mileage charts, road construction and tourism information, city detail maps, and more.

It's no wonder savvy travelers take the wheel with our Road Atlas by their side.

ISBN-10: 052802244X

Thumbwheel and bluetooth not needed.

Enjoy knowing where you are.

Oh yeah, only $18.00 bucks on Amazon.

OM

I've got that road atlas, hate to tear the pages out and won't. It's just too big to take on a trip. Not to mention I only need 4-5 states maps I'll be traveling through on a trip.

I've got that road atlas, hate to tear the pages out and won't. It's just too big to take on a trip. Not to mention I only need 4-5 states maps I'll be traveling through on a trip.

I probably mentioned it earlier in the thread. I copy sections of state maps I think I may need on trips. Theses single pieces of paper are easy to fold to fit in my tank bag map case.

I probably mentioned it earlier in the thread. I copy sections of state maps I think I may need on trips. Theses single pieces of paper are easy to fold to fit in my tank bag map case.

That's a good idea, I may do that on next summers trip. Thx

Back