Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Timing chain rattle on start up

Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Cam chain guides are not expensive (<$50 for all) and anecdotally can be replaced without much more labor than a valve clearance check, meaning you don't need to open up anything else besides the valve cover. Again, anecdotally speaking, but you'll hear valve chain noise when when the engine is hot before you should need to worry about the guides. The chain can be replaced with top end only work and that would be the time to replace guides.
    That might actually be true for an F800. I am not sure because I never had to do it. But on Voni's R1100, by the book it requires removing the engine and splitting the engine cases which is a bit more than checking the valve clearances. I know because I had to do it, or junk the bike. Some folks have now figured out a workaround breaking off a part of an oil baffle but breaking engine cases is not something I thought of at the time. So I stand by my caution that if you hear prolonged clatter fix it before something else breaks. YMMV.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    That might actually be true for an F800. I am not sure because I never had to do it. But on Voni's R1100, by the book it requires removing the engine and splitting the engine cases which is a bit more than checking the valve clearances. I know because I had to do it, or junk the bike. Some folks have now figured out a workaround breaking off a part of an oil baffle but breaking engine cases is not something I thought of at the time. So I stand by my caution that if you hear prolonged clatter fix it before something else breaks. YMMV.
    Well this post is in the F-twin forum specifically for the model and year I used to own. I never had to do it, but I had looked into it as a possible job for the future. Regardless, the F-twins have cam chain rattle, it's well documented and not worth worrying about until it shows up on a hot engine at idle/running.

Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Well this post is in the F-twin forum specifically for the model and year I used to own. I never had to do it, but I had looked into it as a possible job for the future. Regardless, the F-twins have cam chain rattle, it's well documented and not worth worrying about until it shows up on a hot engine at idle/running.
    I am amazed it is as simple as a valve adjustment since I would have assumed that it would require removing the head, which also mean removing the cams and draining the coolant, etc. but I am glad to know how easy it is if I ever need to do it to our F800S.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

You still have that F800S?

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    You still have that F800S?
    No but I fix it for its current owner when he breaks it.

I wouldn’t call checking the valves on a F800GS simple. You need a surgeon’s chest spreader just to get to the valve cover.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I wouldn’t call checking the valves on a F800GS simple. You need a surgeon’s chest spreader just to get to the valve cover.
    Agree! The Wedge 1200/1300 is a smidge harder, but getting to the valve cover is close in things to remove on the twins
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

In the beautful foothills of the Ozarks, Southeast Missouri.
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Nailed that one for sure! The last time I checked the valve adjustment on the my F650GS, I learned a new vocabulary and "swore" it would never be done again. At least by me it won't. Also, Al Jesse of Moto Manufacturing installed his cam chain tensioner on my bike at a rally one time. He showed me how to adjust it and it is very simple to do. Also there is no more noise on start up like there was with the hydraulic tensioner. Time will tell how it works out, but so far I am very pleased with it.
    Last edited by SirRonny; 02-26-2021 at 01:33 AM.
    Ron Morris
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    2009 F650GS
    AMA, BMWMOA #153389, IBMWR and NRA