• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Servus from Svabia Germany

bigntall

Hello folks,
my name is Pete i am from germany riding nearly 40 years on motorcycles.
I am planning to visit northamerica in the next two or three years for a minimum of 6 months using my own motorcycle.
I hope to find informations here about US and Canada for my trip of the life.
Not really clear what motorcycle i will use then im riding a 2016 african twin. Before someone will kill me i have worked as an engineer/freelancer
for BMW motorcycle in germany on K1300,K1600 and big scooter engines.

See you sometimes
Pete

Welcome to the forum!
Hopefully we will be on the other side of the virus problem by the time you get here.
Good luck.
Gary

Pete,
Welcome to our forum! I think your trip will be one of a lifetime, and I'm sure there are many here who will help with whatever information you would like, including were to get good beer (at least good beer for America). :beer All you need to do is ask.

grüß gott Pete! Thanks for checkin into the MOA forum from Germany!

Everyone's plans have been upset by this global pandemic, so you've got some time to look around this BMW website and shop for travel ideas. Not everyone in the world expects to visit Alabama, but I'd recommend you budget a full day to visit the Barber Motorsport Museum in Leeds, AL! You Will Love it, I promise! https://www.barbermuseum.org

We live two hours north in Huntsville, a growing township (now #2 in AL) along the way to other destinations like Nashville, TN (Country Music Capital of the Universe) or Lynchburg, TN (home of Jack Daniels Whiskey). We happen to have the largest space museum in the world (because it contains a horizontal Saturn 5 Rocket that you can eat & dance under). Stop by on a Thursday in the summer for a poor imitation of a Biergarten and some respectable bier & wine. This is where NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center operates; where they designed and built Apollo Rockets and now the big honkin SLS. https://rocketcenter.com

Museum-rocket.JPG

Happy Holidays! :thumb
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

'14 K-GT -- '09 650GS-twin
'75 R90S -- '82 R100CS

Welcome. I spent lots of time in that area of Germany in the late 60's/early 70's. My dad was in the Army stationed in Bitburg/Spangdahlem and Kaiserslautern and I was in high school at the time. Many fond memories. You will make the same during your trip over here.

Welcome Pete! I'm also confident you will get plenty of good advice from the BMWMOA members regarding any questions you may have in planning your trip. As Greg said, just ask...

Welcome to the forum Pete.
Maybe 6 months before your trip let us know what parts of the US and Canada you may visit and we'll point out interesting places or good roads.
Will you camp or motel, or a mix of both?

See you sometimes
Pete

Visit us in the western North Carolina mountains!

Ian

i-4kxssJp-XL.jpg

USA Southwestern Route

Hi Pete,

I live in Arizona and several years ago we met two riders from Belgium. They researched their trip for nearly a year and decided to visit the southwest, including the Grand Canyon, Utah National Parks, Las Vegas, and even up to San Francisco.

They had a wonderful trip and sent me their ride plan, which is very detailed. See the attached file.

I've ridden to all of these places as well and invite you to explore the wide-open spaces of the southwest.

Bob

Attachments

• USA2012bezieswaardigheden (Automatisch opgeslagen) (version 2).pdf
    67.1 KB · Views: 12
Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome and the first lead

I will plan my route as a red yarn but only as a raw guide for time and milage planning always looking left and right of the route.
For sure i will visit highlites of nature
Mostly of time i try to camp.
For my experience you get in better contact with local people and good stories while drinking beer at a campfire.
Also to keep in my budget

First problem seems to find a cheap insurance for the bike this changes in the last 2 years for foreigners

Pete

Hi Pete, we're opening a B&B for touring motorcycles with tent space. I am biased but I truly believe Newfoundland has the nicest scenery on the continent and I can speak from experience having lived, worked and travelled all over it.

If you're bored you can read my build thread about what we've been up to building it.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/newfoundland-two-wheel-inn-campground-under-construction.1234815/

Did a little time in Hamburg and Dusseldorf working some years ago, fun country with plenty of good beer.

Feel free to PM me for more info regarding Newfoundland and Canada.

Back