• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New purchase 1986 K75 running poorly

tonysuburb

Put some new NGK plugs in and bike runs like sh*t. Putting original plugs back in. Now it's fine.

Last edited:
Put some new NGK plugs in and bike runs like sh*t. Putting original plugs back in. Now it's fine.

Is it possible that with the new plugs one of the plug wires was loose, but when putting the old plugs back in the wire did clip solidly into place?

Tony,

Did you check the gap on the NGKs before you installed them?

Are the NGKs resistor plugs?

:dance:dance:dance

NGK PLUG5-D7EA

T’aint the plugs if those are for your model too.

I’ve been using them for 20-25 years in ‘90’s models K75s.
Can’t remember, but gap may be .026”. Check the ‘86 Specifications.

(Have installed new plug wires on a bike or two also)

Charlie

1986 K75 sputtering till warmed up

I was having a problem with my K75 on start up. It starts and runs fine for the first 15 seconds then starts sputtering and popping. I changed out the temperature sensor and plugs and it still does the same. I then opened the top of the airbox and lifted the lid about 1" and the bike seems to run better and about 100 RPM higher. I'm stumped. Is the problem in the air delivery?

Put a set of Bosch plugs in, still runs poorly.

OK. So spark plugs don't seem to be the problem. Plug wires still might be but from here I would suspect fueling. "Runs poorly" can mean a lot of things. A more detailed description of the issues might allow us to bemore help.

That said, I would do two things. I would put aa few ounces of Isoheet (red bottle) to the fuel to absorb any water in the gas that might be present. If this is the issue the results would be evident very quickly. Next, I would add Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner per the instructions to a tank of fresh gas and go for a ride. If partially clogged fuel injectors are the issue it will take time and miles to get them cleaned up this way.

It's a clue, but doesn't necessarily point to the actual problem: in a fuel-injected system, more air will typically raise the rpm.

Have you already checked the valve clearances and throttle body sync? And, older K bikes are known to need new hoses in several places.

MODS - Can you merge this with his other thread...

[merged in from other thread!]

Last edited:
I was having a problem with my K75 on start up. It starts and runs fine for the first 15 seconds then starts sputtering and popping. I changed out the temperature sensor and plugs and it still does the same. I then opened the top of the airbox and lifted the lid about 1" and the bike seems to run better and about 100 RPM higher. I'm stumped. Is the problem in the air delivery?

Tony,

Sounds like an air leak.

Check the 2" diameter 90 degree hose between the top of the air filter box and the intake plenum or cracks or improper connection (most likely at bottom on the plenum end).

Also check the crankcase vent hose for cracks.

It could also be cracks in the rubber manifolds above or below the throttle bodies.

Will be combining these two threads soon.

:dance:dance:dance

Back