• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Why can't I edit a post on mobile?

R65_Steve

If I create a post on my phone and want to edit on my phone, it always deletes it. The button that comes up says delete. And there's no edit button. What gives?

I've not really had a problem with my Android phone. Acts just like my regular computer. Are you using any of the specialized skins for your forum view?

Steve -

OK, I went to my phone and selected the default mobile skin which I presume is what you were looking at. I found a test post of mine somewhere and went to edit it using the small pencil in the lower right. And you're correct, it comes up with the screen to delete the post. That's not how it's supposed to work I would think. I found a short discussion of this problem in a vBulletin forum, but there was no answer to the person's question.

Those are skins which are provided by vBulletin. Not sure we have the skills to debug it. I can see that the Mobile skin is a bit cleaner in appearance which might be attractive. Personally, I use one of the other skins on my phone and larger laptop just so I see the same thing no matter what device I use.

Not sure what to tell you other than to switch to another skin. If we find some more information, we can post it here or maybe fix it but I'm thinking this is a very difficult problem to solve.

I took a run through the “mobile” view as well. I prefer to see the same view on all the devices I use to view the forum. There have been some instances where people get used to viewing the “desktop” version when using a desktop and “mobile” when using their phone.
This forum, using the default “skin”, will render the same on all devices if you want it to. You may have to log out and log back in to change the”cookie”.
OM

FYI, vbulletin3 skin omits the header picture which saves some real estate for a mobile view. I use it on all devices.

FYI, vbulletin3 skin omits the header picture which saves some real estate for a mobile view. I use it on all devices.

Yeah, I think I created that for you, Mike! I update all the other skins with the pictures every so often. But I don't touch the vBulletin 3 skin and have left the link out to the picture.

For those of you that are not sure what the “skins” are- in the lower left hand corner of the page you will see a box.
Most will see vB4 default style along with the arrow to select a change. Some of these “skins” are fully functional as Kurt spent some time “tweaking” them. Some only half render.....pretty easy to tell once you start going.
OM

Wow, this thread is simultaneously informative and enraging. I've been using the default web view on my phone since forever, wondering why the forum software - unlike most others - couldn't figure out I was on a phone and choosing an appropriate layout. So I've been zooming, and rotating, and so on just to see things. Now I find that there's a mobile view (yay!) but the only thing I can do to a post is delete it instantly, without confirmation. I can't even save without change, just opening in edit mode and closing again will delete the post. (enraging).

Wow, this thread is simultaneously informative and enraging. I've been using the default web view on my phone since forever, wondering why the forum software - unlike most others - couldn't figure out I was on a phone and choosing an appropriate layout. So I've been zooming, and rotating, and so on just to see things. Now I find that there's a mobile view (yay!) but the only thing I can do to a post is delete it instantly, without confirmation. I can't even save without change, just opening in edit mode and closing again will delete the post. (enraging).

The “full site” is the way to go as you get to see everything. How often do you edit your posts?
OM

The “full site” is the way to go as you get to see everything. How often do you edit your posts?
OM
Only when my pearls of wisdom aren't fully polished in my original post. :type

In other words, not often. I'm a member on another site that doesn't allow editing AT ALL, OK, those are the rules, I grumble (along with plenty of others) but can live with that because there's no pretense. If the MOA mobile skin doesn't allow editing, OK, but there shouldn't even be an "edit" button. My feeling is that, if there's an "edit" function available, it should work as advertised.

OK....for those concerned about this mobile edit thing-

Using the mobile skin, to edit your post, try-

Tap on the edit pencil-

Tap on the actual post- the box will become highlighted-

Make your desired changes-

Use the "save" button.

You should be good to go :dance

had to think about it for a while ;-0

OM

Back