Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I edit a post on mobile?

Why can't I edit a post on mobile?

If I create a post on my phone and want to edit on my phone, it always deletes it. The button that comes up says delete. And there's no edit button. What gives?
    2004 R1150R Rockster | 1981 R100 | 2019 KLX250 | 1980 R65 (sold)

Ok there is an edit button but if you click anywhere on the screen it just deletes it.

I've not really had a problem with my Android phone. Acts just like my regular computer. Are you using any of the specialized skins for your forum view?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I've not really had a problem with my Android phone. Acts just like my regular computer. Are you using any of the specialized skins for your forum view?
    I guess it's the mobile view. I took a screenshot but can't upload it.

Steve -

OK, I went to my phone and selected the default mobile skin which I presume is what you were looking at. I found a test post of mine somewhere and went to edit it using the small pencil in the lower right. And you're correct, it comes up with the screen to delete the post. That's not how it's supposed to work I would think. I found a short discussion of this problem in a vBulletin forum, but there was no answer to the person's question.

Those are skins which are provided by vBulletin. Not sure we have the skills to debug it. I can see that the Mobile skin is a bit cleaner in appearance which might be attractive. Personally, I use one of the other skins on my phone and larger laptop just so I see the same thing no matter what device I use.

Not sure what to tell you other than to switch to another skin. If we find some more information, we can post it here or maybe fix it but I'm thinking this is a very difficult problem to solve.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Ok. Glad I'm not alone in this issue.

Thanks for looking into it.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I took a run through the “mobile” view as well. I prefer to see the same view on all the devices I use to view the forum. There have been some instances where people get used to viewing the “desktop” version when using a desktop and “mobile” when using their phone.
    This forum, using the default “skin”, will render the same on all devices if you want it to. You may have to log out and log back in to change the”cookie”.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    FYI, vbulletin3 skin omits the header picture which saves some real estate for a mobile view. I use it on all devices.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    FYI, vbulletin3 skin omits the header picture which saves some real estate for a mobile view. I use it on all devices.
    Yeah, I think I created that for you, Mike! I update all the other skins with the pictures every so often. But I don't touch the vBulletin 3 skin and have left the link out to the picture.

For those of you that are not sure what the “skins” are- in the lower left hand corner of the page you will see a box.
    Most will see vB4 default style along with the arrow to select a change. Some of these “skins” are fully functional as Kurt spent some time “tweaking” them. Some only half render.....pretty easy to tell once you start going.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Yeah, I think I created that for you, Mike! I update all the other skins with the pictures every so often. But I don't touch the vBulletin 3 skin and have left the link out to the picture.
    Gracias amigo

Wow, this thread is simultaneously informative and enraging. I've been using the default web view on my phone since forever, wondering why the forum software - unlike most others - couldn't figure out I was on a phone and choosing an appropriate layout. So I've been zooming, and rotating, and so on just to see things. Now I find that there's a mobile view (yay!) but the only thing I can do to a post is delete it instantly, without confirmation. I can't even save without change, just opening in edit mode and closing again will delete the post. (enraging).
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    Wow, this thread is simultaneously informative and enraging. I've been using the default web view on my phone since forever, wondering why the forum software - unlike most others - couldn't figure out I was on a phone and choosing an appropriate layout. So I've been zooming, and rotating, and so on just to see things. Now I find that there's a mobile view (yay!) but the only thing I can do to a post is delete it instantly, without confirmation. I can't even save without change, just opening in edit mode and closing again will delete the post. (enraging).
    The “full site” is the way to go as you get to see everything. How often do you edit your posts?
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    The “full site” is the way to go as you get to see everything. How often do you edit your posts?
    OM
    Only when my pearls of wisdom aren't fully polished in my original post.

In other words, not often. I'm a member on another site that doesn't allow editing AT ALL, OK, those are the rules, I grumble (along with plenty of others) but can live with that because there's no pretense. If the MOA mobile skin doesn't allow editing, OK, but there shouldn't even be an "edit" button. My feeling is that, if there's an "edit" function available, it should work as advertised.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low