• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Castrol 5w-40 on sale

I had to clear my Amazon cookies to see the 20% off coupon without having to "subscribe & save". I'll admit that I've purchased the same thing from Amazon using the straight 20% off coupon several times in the past so perhaps that has something to do with it (tailored response).

*Update: as soon as I log into my Amazon account it switches back to a subscribe & save 20% discount. I suppose it really doesn't matter because you can cancel the subscription right after you place the order if you like (or anytime before it's refilled automatically).

I had to clear my Amazon cookies to see the 20% off coupon without having to "subscribe & save". I'll admit that I've purchased the same thing from Amazon using the straight 20% off coupon several times in the past so perhaps that has something to do with it (tailored response).

*Update: as soon as I log into my Amazon account it switches back to a subscribe & save 20% discount. I suppose it really doesn't matter because you can cancel the subscription right after you place the order if you like (or anytime before it's refilled automatically).

Odd for sure as mine defaults to the 20% off one time purchase coupon. But it does tell me I’ve purchased a dozen times in the past. Mine automatically logs me in.

Odd for sure as mine defaults to the 20% off one time purchase coupon. But it does tell me I’ve purchased a dozen times in the past. Mine automatically logs me in.

I have you beat. Mines shows 22 times :)
A few times when it was really cheap I ordered a couple 6 packs at a time.

I have you beat. Mines shows 22 times :)
A few times when it was really cheap I ordered a couple 6 packs at a time.

Right now I have about 28 quarts on hand but will probably use 8 or 12 qts by August.
I’m good to get thru 2021 and beyond. Good news is while both my bikes are 1200’s the 1250 uses same oil. So even if I upgrade I’m good 😉

I never bought the idea oil could have any significant affect on shifting quality based on the fact the forces involved are just too great to have a lubricant come into play. I bought 6 quarts of the Castrol for my '16 RT and have to say shift quality deteriorated. This became confirmed when I changed to LiquiMoly all PAO base oil and I'm convinced it definitely improved shifting quality. Maybe his has more to do w/ the wet clutch than anything else. As a result I plan to stick w/ LiquiMoly:
Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 6.38.22 PM.jpg

I never bought the idea oil could have any significant affect on shifting quality based on the fact the forces involved are just too great to have a lubricant come into play. I bought 6 quarts of the Castrol for my '16 RT and have to say shift quality deteriorated. This became confirmed when I changed to LiquiMoly all PAO base oil and I'm convinced it definitely improved shifting quality. Maybe his has more to do w/ the wet clutch than anything else. As a result I plan to stick w/ LiquiMoly:
View attachment 84188

What works best for you is what matters but PLEASE let’s not make this an “oil thread”.
Intent was simply to share a good deal for those using Castrol.

Now Ed you do know that Castrol will void your extended warranty?:laugh
LMAO .... I’ll take my chances but thank you for looking out for me.

For years Castrol was listed in the owners manual .... there may even have been a 20% off coupon included.

:rofl

LMAO .... I’ll take my chances but thank you for looking out for me.

For years Castrol was listed in the owners manual .... there may even have been a 20% off coupon included.

:rofl

I know I think it was the recommended oil prior to 'Advantec Ultimate' which I used until the OEM warranty expired then went to LiquiMoly at LAF's recommendation, then to Castrol, now back to LiquiMoly.

Nice to see BMW is coming out w/ their own extended factory warranty which is exactly what I opined for some time back. Perhaps they're reading the forums after all! If true, maybe I will hear about the really old people's RT I will want some day: all the same power, features, tech, etc in a 100lb lighter package, complete w/ electric screen....ALL the features, save the boxer as I don't think you could get the same P:W with a smaller boxer but I'm not sure.

I don't care what oil you use but this sale comes about seemingly every time I need an oil change. It's a great deal and I don't think I've ever had to pay full price for their oil.

Although it may be recommended by the manufacturer for some applications, does anyone else here think 5w base stock might be a little light for motorcycle engines, especially in consideration of some recent cam lobe issues?
I believe the 40w rating at operating temperature is due to chain polymers, which are gradually broken down by gears and other high shear areas, eventually resulting in lower viscosity at operating temperature over time.

I realize it is a personal choice based on older motorcycle ownership experience, but i still will not use less than a 15-40 oil in a bike.

The oil on sale is a 4T blend, meaning it is designed for bikes with common lubrication between the engine and transmission, and a wet clutch. It is not a good choice for any dry clutch BMW. As for the SAE weight specification go with what the manufacturer recommends.

Note that Castrol makes a few different "4T" oils, not just different weights but also petro, blended, and full synthetic versions.
In Kurt's comparison several years ago (and things may well have changed since), their 20-50 varieties came out as "middle of the pack" and was SG rated, inferring that it was OK for airheads and oilheads.

Note that Castrol makes a few different "4T" oils, not just different weights but also petro, blended, and full synthetic versions.
In Kurt's comparison several years ago (and things may well have changed since), their 20-50 varieties came out as "middle of the pack" and was SG rated, inferring that it was OK for airheads and oilheads.

Actually, Kurt's article was published in the March 2013 ON and he tested a 20-50 Castrol 4T petroleum (not synthetic) oil. Although Castrol said it was and SG/SH oil, it has only 758ppm of Phosphorus and 924ppm of Zinc - well below the often quoted minimum of 1,000ppm of Zinc and Phosphorus, with 1,500ppm of each considered "ideal". That last reference was from an earlier article in the ON about oils authored by Matt Parkhouse and referenced by Kurt. Currently, Mobil1 15W-50 automotive oil has 1,200 ppm of Phosphorus and 1,300ppm of Zinc, so is good for any flat tappet BMW dry-clutch engine. Their "V-Twin" 20W-50 has 1,600 and 1,750ppm of Phosphorus and Zinc respectively. Certainly a good oil but likely no significant advantage over the automotive blend for the much higher cost per quart. However, many newer generation BMW engines specify lower viscosity oils, and some "4T" motorcycle specific oils. Follow those requirements is my recommendation.

I have spent a lot of time researching lubricants and in my opinion when it comes to what is the "right" engine oil for older BMW flat tappet dry-clutch engines you must research the product information sheets of a motor oil to know if it has high enough levels of Zinc and Phosphorus. You can *not* go by what you used 20 years ago. Oil specifications have changed greatly in the direction of modern automotive engines with catalytic converters.

Back