• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Castrol 5w-40 on sale

Although it may be recommended by the manufacturer for some applications, does anyone else here think 5w base stock might be a little light for motorcycle engines, especially in consideration of some recent cam lobe issues?
I believe the 40w rating at operating temperature is due to chain polymers, which are gradually broken down by gears and other high shear areas, eventually resulting in lower viscosity at operating temperature over time.

I realize it is a personal choice based on older motorcycle ownership experience, but i still will not use less than a 15-40 oil in a bike.

Although it may be recommended by the manufacturer for some applications, does anyone else here think 5w base stock might be a little light for motorcycle engines, especially in consideration of some recent cam lobe issues?
I believe the 40w rating at operating temperature is due to chain polymers, which are gradually broken down by gears and other high shear areas, eventually resulting in lower viscosity at operating temperature over time.

I realize it is a personal choice based on older motorcycle ownership experience, but i still will not use less than a 15-40 oil in a bike.

I'm not sure. Using 0W20 in my car and cams are fine.

I use what the manufacturer recommends. They are the engineers so that works for me.

But as noted everyone has his/her thoughts on oil. My original post was simply a heads up on a great price if you prefer to use Castrol.

I use what the manufacturer recommends. They are the engineers so that works for me.

But as noted everyone has his/her thoughts on oil. My original post was simply a heads up on a great price if you prefer to use Castrol.

Yes. Thank you for sharing the good price.
Now, back to our regular programming ...

This Castrol I've used in my RT, but also had the cam problem. It looks like the same specs as the Advantek. At any rate doing a 3,500 mi. cycle of oil changes.

I just ordered from Amazon another 6 pack for $42.36 plus tax.

Last edited:
Over $50 again.

If the coupon is still there and you did not use it ... sometime Amazon will let you cancel the order if it has not shipped and they you can just reorder with the coupon.

Just checked and coupon is still there!!

Back