• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendations for repairing instrument panel: 2010 F650GS

The usual symptoms: first, nothing lighting up on the instrument panel, but the bike would start; then, no starting at all. My friendly, family-owned dealer can replace the panel, which costs $945, but have also offered to pull it if I can find somewhere to send it out for diagnosis and repair, and likely save some of that high up-front cost. Like so many other things, being electronic, it's easiest to replace it rather than have someone take the time to figure out what element might be the issue. I doubt that every single part of the panel electronics is beyond use, right?

Does anyone have familiarity with instrument panel failure . . . and a shop that could look into it for possible repair? Tom, Miami (where the perfect riding season has just begun)

Why you think it's the instrument unit?

If the instrument unit is dead you should still be able to start the engine.

When you said 'not starting', does it turn over?

/Guenther

I've replaced the battery and, yes, can start it, but the panel appears dead (somewhere within at one or more points) and that lack of function has been confirmed by the service tech.

My understanding of the problem may be off, but first-
I would check the fuses and grounds.
Next I would look at the connector(s), make sure they are clean.
If all looks good and it seems that everything should be working-
I would set a bag of ice on the display for half an hour and see what happens when the key is turned on.
Next, I would repeat with heat to the display- being careful.

Further- was the display left in direct sunlight for extended periods? I have had the sun wreck displays.
Good luck.
OM

fuses and grounds and connectors: a good start

Thanks, Omega Man; I'll ask the service manager, but assume that these elements have been checked. Still, your sense is my sense: the malfunction is probably due to one or perhaps two elements in the systems within the instrument panel. I never leave the bike uncovered; however, I live in Florida, and the bike is undercover and under a roof, but subject to heat and humidity, and I suspect the latter has led to corrosion. I appreciate your insights. Tom

Great :thumb
I'm currently working on a MX-250 transfer switch that the sun has baked the screen out of. I have also started protection on some other 325KW CAT generators where the screen is in direct sunlight most of the day. CAT has finally (I think) wised up and stopped putting windows in the enclosure doors....it's an $850.00 repair :hungover

Back to the corrosion possibility, I read a recommendation her on the forum for DeoxIT for cleaning terminals and contacts and have now switched to that product. I have used many others in the past, all which have worked pretty good but this seems to be best all-around.
I have also used a rifle bore cleaning brush in a drill to clean things up. A bore brush may be to big for what you are doing.
Let us know how you make out.
OM

The instrument cluster is connected with a 5-pin connector:

pin 1: Canbus wire/black+white
pin 2: Canbus wire/brown+white,
pin 3: 12V/red
pin 4: ground/brown
pin 5: to alarm control unit/green

If you find the connector you may check for battery voltage between pin 3 and pin 4. If there is power then I guess it's and internal problem in the instrument panel.

I think your problem is described in here about a faulty capacitor on the instrument cluster board:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/f800gs-instrument-cluster.1060506/

/Guenther

Last edited:
Back