• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MSF, or whoever

Shiloh*534

Hi Folks,
Happy weird 2020 to you all! I know the MSF was the go to for training and for folks just getting their M tag, but are they still "The One"? By passing their course, you didn't have to take the riding test for the DMV, but I think I remember that all changing. Anyone have info on this?
Thanx

This depends on the state in which you reside.

In Washington, I know MSF is still the contract holder with the DMV (or was the last I checked a year or two ago.) In Cali and a bunch of others, Total Control Training now holds the contracts for the training and is expanding slowly.

Your state DMV page should have info on what courses are available, and who the training is organized by.

I don't know what Nevada's requirements are, but here in NC as with many other US states, passing the Basic Rider Course or Returning Rider Course *does* waive the requirement to take the state driving/skills test. In fact, during the first months of covid, that was the only way of getting through the driven test in NC, as the state stopped performing all driven/skills tests. And though I think they are performing some limited testing now, I suspect it's far quicker to go through the MSF route. In NC, you still have to take the written test, as MSF's theory doesn't necessarily fully align with local laws or beliefs. In my personal opinion, I would highly recommend taking the MSF course, even if for some reason your state doesn't recognize the MSF skills test.

The MSF course is offered by the College of Southern Nevada or by Las Vegas Harley Davidson (Acadamy).

Last edited:
Comply with the “requirements” of your state licensing agency... afterwards, apply for the Paul B Scholarship through the BMW MOA Foundation and follow up with some high quality follow up training available through multiple vendors. I recommend the BMW Performance center. I have yet to read a single comment or talk to a single person who attended the training that didn’t say it was the best motorcycle training they’ve ever received.

I'd ride that far for breakfast too but I'd get cranky if I had to wait 4 hours after I wake up before I get something to eat.

Coffee covers my first 100 miles... 200 miles would be stretching it. Motorcycles and their riders both need fuel periodically.

Back