• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which GPS for my ‘09 GS???

limrik

I’m new to this forum and would just like to say it’s good to be on here, Ive been browsing around the last couple of days and there is some great stuff on here. Now I’m going to ask a question that might have been addressed already, but I would grateful for any advice you guys might have.
I recently purchased a 2009 R1200GS (my first BMW) and would like to get a gps for it. I have been searching the usual sites for used ones and seen a few BMW Navi V models as well as various Garmin Zumos. I’m not sure that the BMW Navi will pair with my bike as it does with newer models, and if not would I be just as well off buying a Zumo? And then which Zumo?
I have no prior experience with a motorcycle gps and would appreciate any advice you guys have to offer.

I’m new to this forum and would just like to say it’s good to be on here, Ive been browsing around the last couple of days and there is some great stuff on here. Now I’m going to ask a question that might have been addressed already, but I would grateful for any advice you guys might have.
I recently purchased a 2009 R1200GS (my first BMW) and would like to get a gps for it. I have been searching the usual sites for used ones and seen a few BMW Navi V models as well as various Garmin Zumos. I’m not sure that the BMW Navi will pair with my bike as it does with newer models, and if not would I be just as well off buying a Zumo? And then which Zumo?
I have no prior experience with a motorcycle gps and would appreciate any advice you guys have to offer.

The biggest factor in your decision may be whether or not your bike already has a mount for a BMW Navigator unit. If it does, then a used Nav V or Nav VI would be a good choice. It would power on/off with the bike, and plugs into a connector on your wiring harness so you get a data screen on the bike that reads and displays selected bike and trip data. But if you have to buy the mount as well as the Nav, it gets expensive.

If you look at a Zumo the Zumo XT looks like a good bet. It can be wired into the bike so on/off is controlled via the ignition switch, various mounting setups are available ranging from low $$ like RAM pieces or high $$ like Touratech mounts. And in my opinion it offers better Bluetooth connectivity with phones and headsets than does the BMW Nav.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/679804

HTH,
DeVern

Last edited:
Just recently picked up a used NAV6 cradle which my NAV4 will fit. After reading about all the issues with NAV6's and their ghosting screen issues, it was possible to find a 4, 5, or 6 cradle which all accept my NAV4 [ backward compatible ].

My NAV4 has been flawless for 8 years, so why take the chance with a used 6 unit and cradle. As GTRider mentioned, many other models fit various cradle like Zumo's. So there's other options available to you.

The biggest factor in your decision may be whether or not your bike already has a mount for a BMW Navigator unit. If it does, then a used Nav V or Nav VI would be a good choice.

If you look at a Zumo the Zumo XT looks like a good bet.

I would pass on the Nav VI because of all the problems with it.
Nav V is a good unit and used ones can be found in the $300 to $350 range on Adventure Rider forum.
Zumo XT also looks like a good choice.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the GS got the GPS Prep mount and wonderwheel until 2013.

My preferred GPS is a $150 Garmin. All I have used for years.

It really depends what you expect out of a GPS. Some riders want it all. Satellite radio, Bluetooth, traffic, whatever. I just want to find the next town or gas stop so whatever is on sale works fine for me.

I would pass on the Nav VI because of all the problems with it.
Nav V is a good unit and used ones can be found in the $300 to $350 range on Adventure Rider forum.
Zumo XT also looks like a good choice.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the GS got the GPS Prep mount and wonderwheel until 2013.

No wonderwheel until 2013, but the ‘09 bikes had a gps mount bar option that would hold the 4-button cradle for the Nav IV. That cradle also works with the V and VI units. I agree that a used VI is a gamble due to reports of erratic screen activations; the V is a safer bet but has it’s own issues in the Bluetooth and MP3 functions.

My own Nav VI has had no screen activation issues, but since there’s a 5yr warranty I’m not too concerned. Once out of warranty if it fails I’ll jump to the Zumo XT. It’s hard to go wrong with the XT—for $450 you get a quality gps with 5.5” screen and a motorcycle mount included.

Best,
DeVern

I just ordered a Garmin from their outlet store Monday. Reconditioned with built in dashcam & 1 year warranty. 80 some dollars.

Thanks to all for the replies. Sounds like Garmin might be the way to go, I don’t have a mount and do realize the wonderwheel is one of the big attractions of the BMW Navi set up. There is a wiring harness wrapped up under my front fender not attached to anything and I believe it is for a gps. It does however have a funny looking plug in attachment at the end of it. The male and female sides of that plug are there and the wire on the loose end had been cut and was at one time spliced to something else. That wire has a sticker on it that has both a BMW and a Garmin logo on it, leading me to believe it’s for a gps. Maybe if I purchase a Garmin it will plug directly into this wire??

Thanks to all for the replies. Sounds like Garmin might be the way to go, I don’t have a mount and do realize the wonderwheel is one of the big attractions of the BMW Navi set up. There is a wiring harness wrapped up under my front fender not attached to anything and I believe it is for a gps. It does however have a funny looking plug in attachment at the end of it. The male and female sides of that plug are there and the wire on the loose end had been cut and was at one time spliced to something else. That wire has a sticker on it that has both a BMW and a Garmin logo on it, leading me to believe it’s for a gps. Maybe if I purchase a Garmin it will plug directly into this wire??

That sounds like the previous owner had used the BMW accessory plug (part# 83 30 0 413 585) to power a gps from the factory gps connector on the wiring harness. That part looks like this:
74F7E360-BE85-4E51-AC4F-D4B73FB87C91.jpeg 4A2D45EB-A350-43A1-B45A-5F9E6D8A1107.jpeg

Check for 12v at the two wires with the ignition on—if present and controlled by the ignition switch you can use those wires to power your Garmin.

Best,
DeVern

Thanks, I’ll pull it out at the weekend in the daylight and have a closer look at that wire. And check it for power.

That sounds like the previous owner had used the BMW accessory plug (part# 83 30 0 413 585) to power a gps from the factory gps connector on the wiring harness. That part looks like this:
View attachment 81329 View attachment 81330

Best,
DeVern

That's what I used on the K1300S. I spliced it to a Garmin power cord, then plugged into the factory BMW plug.
My electronic knowledge is poor and it was still easy for me.

FWIW - If push came to shove, I could live without the wonder wheel option on my RT (with a Nav V). I use the WW only because it’s there, and don’t find it critical. I use an older and discontinued Garmin Montana mounted on my other bikes. That’s all I needed for my ex-2010-GS. That Montana unit now lives on a smaller non-BMW Adv bike. I agree with what PoorUB alluded to... it depends what you want out of the GPS, as sometimes the simplest task can be infuriatingly difficult.

Back