• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thinking of switching from my '15 RT to a '21 GSA...

Tell me I'm crazy. Lots of commuting (Vegas) with occasional long trips, IBA rides. I love my RT, but I've always wanted a GSA and lately, the Triple Black with gold wheels has just been calling to me.

Anybody out here made this switch?

If you are looking to lose weight and get the newer twin, throw a leg over an R or RS as well...

I traded a 15 RT for a 16 GSA low, best move I ever made. More comfortable, longer range (no worries on the way to Alaska or on the Trans Lab). Noisier because no fairing, but that helps me keep the speed down (I can use the help). Also, the lack of a fairing translates to increased air flow around me: not as good in cold weather but better when it gets warm.

I traded a 15 RT for a 16 GSA low, best move I ever made. More comfortable, longer range (no worries on the way to Alaska or on the Trans Lab). Noisier because no fairing, but that helps me keep the speed down (I can use the help). Also, the lack of a fairing translates to increased air flow around me: not as good in cold weather but better when it gets warm.

I've read that the kickstand is unchanged on the low, making it more upright when in use which can be problematic. Thoughts?

I have both a 2009 GSA and a 2019 RT. It really depends on what your using the bike mostly for. I bought my RT mostly because I ride 2-up 80% of the time. GSA was getting tough for my wife to climb up on. Plus, we wanted something with better wind protection. So in just under a year with both I find that the GSA does everything well...But the RT is a better ROAD bike. I always thought the GSA had decent wind protection. We put over 60,000 on it in 5 years. But now if I don't ride it for a while I'm amazed at the amount of wind noise vs the RT. I'll do a 300+ mile day in the mountains on the GSA and I feel more tired at the end of the day vs. the RT

We went to the dealer looking to buy a 2019 GSA LOW. Thinking the low would be easier for my wife (which it was). While we were at the dealer we decided the try the RT as well....and the difference was more than we expected. Hands down the RT was a better choice for us. Both are great bikes and still love my GSA. I'll ride it when Im solo in warmer weather....And really LOVE that 9 gallon tank! Biggest adjustment when getting the RT was now having to pay more attention to fuel level. Im 6' 1" so getting back on a sport touring bike took a little adjusting too. But now that its all set up I have to say I personally prefer the RT. But if you never owned a GS then give it a try.....Only live once and in your region could be the better choice.

WAAAAAY Subjective, but ....

When I ride the RT, I feel like I am wrapped in a cocoon of quiet and comfort, but when I ride the GSA, I feel like I am on a motorcycle. I like both quite a lot. I never ride two-up, so that is not a factor. Huge fan of the GSA’s fuel range; on x-country trips, I easily cover 325+ miles without even thinking about stopping. That is why I bought it instead of the GS, even though the bike is a little larger and heavier. I have not had an opportunity to ride the shift cam 1250 in either model, but envy the 1250’s torque curve over my 1200’s.

Tell me I'm crazy. Lots of commuting (Vegas) with occasional long trips, IBA rides. I love my RT, but I've always wanted a GSA and lately, the Triple Black with gold wheels has just been calling to me.

Anybody out here made this switch?

Do you like apples or oranges? If you’re jonesin’ for the GSA, then I think you know the answer.

Most BMW dealers encourage long test rides. Go to your local dealer and demo a GS for a few hours...be cautious about taking your checkbook. :D

Good luck!

I've read that the kickstand is unchanged on the low, making it more upright when in use which can be problematic. Thoughts?

Kickstand is shorter, it's the appropriate hight for the lowered suspension and it doesn't stand the bike straighter. The shape of the foot is actually different so if you get a sidestand foot be sure to get the one for the low suspension.

I won't lie, based on where I live, it's a couple hours in ANY direction of 90mph freeway riding to get anywhere. And that is the strength of the RT. I would miss not being able to do that and not be beaten to death while doing it.

I did this back in '11, going from my '04 RT to a '11 GS. I have done everything on the GS from cross country touring to riding unpaved forest roads in the mountains. The GS is a great all around bike.

In short, plusses for the RT are long range comfort and terrific wind and weather protection. Pluses for the GS are more airflow in hot weather and the ability to go see what is down that unpaved road without bottoming out or worrying about dropping it. Both bikes handle very well on the road albeit a little differently.

Last year I started to consider another RT for touring two up. I ended up with a '20RT and love it. I kept the GS though and it still get's ridden regularly in the mountains.

If I was only going to have one it would probably be a GS but doing a long ride, especially with the wife on the back, The RT can't be beat.

Riding buddy has an 2015 RT/I have 2017 GS. My observations . . .

My observations on difference between 2015 RT and 2017 GS,

1. My riding buddy's RT has about 100 miles more range (around 325 miles) which is about 100 more than my GS has. GSA probably has similar range to RT, I speculate.

2. RT is a more refined bike with better wind protection. Just more polished and refined. One thing that is an annoyance with our relative year models is that his heated grips are much more adjustable (not sure how that relates to current models.)

3. GS/GSA are, with the crash bars,resistant to damage from being dropped. RT has delicate fairings, does not like to be tipped over. I had an F800GT prior to my GS and traded it in to get away from the delicate-fairing problems.

4. GS/GSA can be obtained in factory-lowered configuration, important for many (Indeed, the main reason I ended up with a GS, instead of another brand of ADV bike.) I do not believe a lowered configuration is available in the RT.

5. I think the GS is more easy to maneuver at very low speeds, such as in going around cones for a motorcycle endorsement test (haha.)

6. My friend has had two RTs before his current one, which now has 40,000 miles, and plans to trade-in and upgrade in the Spring to the newest model, so you can see he is very happy with his RTs.

7. Except for the fact that 1) I tip my bike over on occasion, and need a bike much less prone to damage than an RT, 2) I occasionally go off-road, and 3) I really need a factory-lowered version, I would prefer to have an RT. RT's are really nice bikes.

1. My riding buddy's RT has about 100 miles more range (around 325 miles) which is about 100 more than my GS has. GSA probably has similar range to RT, I speculate.

2. RT is a more refined bike with better wind protection. Just more polished and refined. One thing that is an annoyance with our relative year models is that his heated grips are much more adjustable (not sure how that relates to current models.)

3. GS/GSA are, with the crash bars,resistant to damage from being dropped. RT has delicate fairings, does not like to be tipped over. I had an F800GT prior to my GS and traded it in to get away from the delicate-fairing problems.

4. GS/GSA can be obtained in factory-lowered configuration, important for many (Indeed, the main reason I ended up with a GS, instead of another brand of ADV bike.) I do not believe a lowered configuration is available in the RT.

5. I think the GS is more easy to maneuver at very low speeds, such as in going around cones for a motorcycle endorsement test (haha.)

6. My friend has had two RTs before his current one, which now has 40,000 miles, and plans to trade-in and upgrade in the Spring to the newest model, so you can see he is very happy with his RTs.

7. Except for the fact that 1) I tip my bike over on occasion, and need a bike much less prone to damage than an RT, 2) I occasionally go off-road, and 3) I really need a factory-lowered version, I would prefer to have an RT. RT's are really nice bikes.

I would add: The GS bikes are easier to perform routine maintenance because they have much less plastic to get out of the way.

I would add: The GS bikes are easier to perform routine maintenance because they have much less plastic to get out of the way.

That is a valid point. But...I've taken all of that tupperware on and off so many times, it doesn't even bother me anymore.

For your seat height concern, the BMW website specs list the difference only .2" from the lowered GS to the RT. Virtually the same.

I rode my RT over 250 miles of gravel roads on my trip to Alaska a couple years ago. It handled it fine. If you ride rutted roads or really rough stuff the GS will have more suspension travel, although you give up some of that with the lowered model.

I've been told that by a bud that working on his 2020 GS is harder because he needs to remove BMW protection bars to get at the valves.

Back