• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Winter Riding

jhall

BMWMOA #24809
Today brought a chance I'd been waiting for, to ride in winter weather conditions and ascertain the Airhead alternator's ability to keep up with electrics' demands. It was 36F when I left, and 34 upon return home, about 1.5 hours and 60 miles later. I rode with headlight off, on Kentucky rural roads, mostly 3rd and 4th gear to keep RPM at 4000+ for max charging. I wore electric jacket and pants, wired together, and initially turned them on LOW and the heated grips on LOW; at this rate, the volt meter read about 13V to 13.2. With clothing and grips both on HI, it only read 12 to 12.2. I experimented with various other combos of settings and, with heat turned down, could usually keep the volt meter at or near 12.4V to 13V. But in today's conditions, anything less than HI on both the clothing and grips was more perseverance than pleasure. My feet were not cold, but not toasty either. To be toasty, I'da needed my electric socks, which woulda needed more electricity which, unfortunately, is not available from the Airhead's OEM charging system. Simply put, my winter electric gear needs, far exceeds the 240 watt system capability, never mind adding extra lights, or even turning the headlight on. I pretty much knew this already, but today removed any doubt. So it appears I have some tough choices to make regarding the Omega 600 amp system.

Upon arrival home, there was about 1/2" of slush on the windshield and frontside of the bike, and woulda made an excellent picture. But my phone's battery was dead. Awhile later, after charging the phone, I came back out to take pics and, to my dismay, saw the Kenda rear tire is now down to the cord. After only a bit over 3500 miles, this tire has gone from new to toast. The front Kenda is now wavy, so I plan to order another front today. The rear has been on order a few days, and should be here soon. I shoulda kept a closer eye on the rear Kenda, but will not leave the driveway again without first replacing it. 20201130_121521.jpg20201130_121257.jpg

Last edited:
Tires only wear if you ride

LOL, tires only wear if you ride and if you don't they dry rot. At least you got your money out of that one.

I can say for certain, in my case the Omega system has been worth the money. I haven't gotten electric sock yet but I have the jacket, pants, and heated grips. I also plan when the bike is back together to add more lights. While I am using LED headlight replacements in my stock reflector, I have yet to see what the beam pattern will be in the dark. I have not ridden a bike in the dark in a long time.

Final lights for the front will be the Stock headlight with an LED insert, the parking light bulb in the main headlight reflector, (I added the wires and have an LED bulb there). The parking light in the fairing above the main headlight, also converted to LED, and two 5 inch LED Piaa Driving lights always on in the day time. I may just add two fogs down the road.

I believe in the highest amount of visibility I can get. Even so, a lot of people are blind to motorcycles. St.

3500 miles on that rear tire is really low. I'd look at something else after that.
Several years ago I had a Conti-Go that went like that.
Nick
1978 R-80

Okay Jay! You lived to ride another day; that much U learned.
And when it comes to BMWs, the rider is the 'cheapest thing' on the bike!

At least with an Airhead, you'll be able to swap tires pretty easily. Simple by Design... :thumb
Just remember J, U get what U pay for...

Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

'14 K-GT -- '09 650GS-twin
'75 R90S -- '82 R100CS

What do you wear over the heated gear? It make a huge difference. I have a pair of ski bibs I wear on long rides in the cold, I don't have heated pants, but I have separate rain gear I will wear over the top to block the wind and it make a huge difference. I put on 750 miles one30F to 45F day wearing my jeans and a t-shirt, heated jacket, mesh jacket and rain pants and jacket for the first part of the day, then I stopped in a sporting goods store and bought the ski bibs, put them on and my rain pants over the bibs. Short rides I will put on my heated jacket and just my rain gear and can ride for a couple hours in 40F temps. I have ridden at -20F for a couple hours so I believe I have a good opinion of what works!

Another thing with heated gear, you only want a light layer of clothing under the heated gear. My wife would put on three shirts, jeans and tights, then her heated gear. I finally got her to ditch most of it and wear a shirt and jeans and she is warmer.

More layers over the top of the gear the warmer you will be.

Last edited:
Avon Roadriders On Order

I would never purposely wear a tire down to cord like that, and this time was due to my negligence. I shoulda kept a closer eye on that tire, as I'd already noted it was wearing very quickly. It also worries me that I did some pretty spirited riding yesterday. I did notice a bit of squirreleyness, but dismissed it. I need to learn from this.

The bike came with new Kendas, front and rear. I had no experience with Kenda, but do now, and you could not give me another one. I have 2 new Avon Roadriders coming, bought off Ebay, front and rear. Curiously, I found AM26 for the rear, but had to settle for an MK-II on the front. The AM26 fronts were all located offshore, with expensive shipping. Possibly because I wanted a 100/90 instead of 90/90 on the front. In any case, both the AM26 rear and MK-I front are Roadriders, so hopefully they will complement each other.

As for clothing layers, for bottom: electric pants or thermal long johns, then rain pants, and Darien (Aerostich) pants. For top: t'shirt, then electric jacket, sweat shirt, rain jacket, and Darien coat. I use a pull on muffler to seal between coat collar and helmet. In real cold weather or longer rides, I add a balaclava. I also tape up all ports in the (FF) helmet each fall, and taped mine about a month ago; that reduces draft into the helmet and keeps the head warmer.

All the above clothing is because I have weakened in older age (now 68), and also lost 60 pounds almost 3 years ago, and maintaining at 160-165 pounds ever since. The extra layer of fat provided good insulation, but I am just gonna have to live without it. I am back to my weight at 17 years old, and loving it. LOL

I bought hand guards from a GS model and and fit them to my 85 R80RT.
They keep the wind off of my hands and not blowing up my sleeve..
That could save the power draw of your heated grips

It was 75F here in coastal Texas all last week... my charging system did fine. :stick It's in the 50s F this week... I may get to use my heated grips. Sorry couldn't resist (because... heated gear... resistors...:p). Carry on.:beer:lurk

Today brought a chance I'd been waiting for, to ride in winter weather conditions and ascertain the Airhead alternator's ability to keep up with electrics' demands. It was 36F when I left, and 34 upon return home, about 1.5 hours and 60 miles later. I rode with headlight off, on Kentucky rural roads, mostly 3rd and 4th gear to keep RPM at 4000+ for max charging. I wore electric jacket and pants, wired together, and initially turned them on LOW and the heated grips on LOW; at this rate, the volt meter read about 13V to 13.2. With clothing and grips both on HI, it only read 12 to 12.2. I experimented with various other combos of settings and, with heat turned down, could usually keep the volt meter at or near 12.4V to 13V. But in today's conditions, anything less than HI on both the clothing and grips was more perseverance than pleasure. My feet were not cold, but not toasty either. To be toasty, I'da needed my electric socks, which woulda needed more electricity which, unfortunately, is not available from the Airhead's OEM charging system. Simply put, my winter electric gear needs, far exceeds the 240 watt system capability, never mind adding extra lights, or even turning the headlight on. I pretty much knew this already, but today removed any doubt. So it appears I have some tough choices to make regarding the Omega 600 amp system.

Upon arrival home, there was about 1/2" of slush on the windshield and frontside of the bike, and woulda made an excellent picture. But my phone's battery was dead. Awhile later, after charging the phone, I came back out to take pics and, to my dismay, saw the Kenda rear tire is now down to the cord. After only a bit over 3500 miles, this tire has gone from new to toast. The front Kenda is now wavy, so I plan to order another front today. The rear has been on order a few days, and should be here soon. I shoulda kept a closer eye on the rear Kenda, but will not leave the driveway again without first replacing it. View attachment 81317View attachment 81318
What does that quarter panel belong to?

Quarter Panel

What does that quarter panel belong to?
Hi John,
I could have you guess, but it belongs to a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk. I have owned the car since 1986, and about 165,000 miles now. It was the fastest USA production car in 1956, bar none, so said the 1956 mag reviews by Speed Age, Car Life, Motor Trend, Hot Rod, etc.. Mine still has the 352 Packard V8, which runs about like a standard SBC 350. Not a warmed 350, just standard, still, in 1956 that was phenomenal. They would run about 130 MPH, top end. A test car driver, in 1956, drove one round and round a 2.5 mile track and averaged 121 MPH. GM and Chrysler caught up the next year, but 1956 was the Golden Hawk's year. Probably more than you wanted to know. LOL

Back