• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

No spark

No indication the motor is cooked.

At 192-196, if you get a few more PSI, it might run on Diesel!!

If your guy is capable, doing a valve overlap check will give you the relationship to crankshaft timing to camshaft timing.

If your engine still labours after the starter replacement and you have that high of compression, I would go straight to timing.

It's pull, push, bang, blow in the same place at the right time.

I don't understand the bit about the bike not starting but the plugs are still turning black. If the bike were in my shop, I would:

0) check the air filter and muffler for clogging (hold hand up to tailpipe while cranking and feel for distinct puffs of air).

1) time the ignition. It's probably close enough to run, but there's no reason to ever reinstall one in anything but the perfect position.

2) check fuel pressure.

3) observe the pulses of fuel spray at the injectors to see if they look normal.

4) replace the fuel with fresh if it is old.

That's the low-hanging fruit. If it still wouldn't run I'd come up with the next plan. Mis-timed valves and stuff like that happens but it's very uncommon. It's not that hard to get these bikes to run. It's far more likely that something you have already looked at is actually wrong, than that the problem is something that has only affected this one bike ever.

I did not take the air filter out nor did I look in the muffler. Something could have crawled in there and has clogged it up. I assume the mechanic at the shop checked this, but I will ask.
I appreciate al this help.
it really is confounding us both right now.

The symptoms really are 100% consistent with a clogged muffler. It's not something anyone looks for until they learn about it as a problem. Of course it could be something else but it's a good enough match and SO easy to check that it's first on my list.

I had a bike in my shop with this, I didn't look for it and I didn't find it. It was a puzzle because everything checked out but the bike just didn't run. It coughed once or twice but that was all. The owner said thanks for trying and took the bike to the dealership. They were equally puzzled until one of the mechanics (not the one working on it) happened to walk past the lift when the bike was cranking and brilliantly noticed that he wasn't feeling the expected puff-puff against him as he passed by. The muffler was packed full of dog food. The emptied it out and the bike was back to normal. R1200GS. In retrospect, I realized that I did smell something a bit sweet from the exhaust, but I assumed it was the particular gasoline he used combined with the incomplete combustion.

Anyway, go through that list with the mechanic and report what you find. If it still doesn't run, we'll come up with the next step. If you have good compression, the fuel pump and stuff like that works, the bike is fundamentally fine and you just need to find the relatively small problem that's crippling it.

Solved

I’m writing this here, as a lesson to us all. This has me completely pissed off at myself. I sent the bike to a mechanic because I could not get it to run as I posted he ran through all the same things I did and couldn’t get it to run and pronounced the motor “toast.” I put the bike on Facebook marketplace it’s sold that day and the new owner got it running that night.What was wrong? The lower pulley was not indexed with the hall sensor so it was not firing on time.

I put in the rebuilt hall sensor so it is my fault. I did not think to check my work once it wouldn’t run I just assumed I did everything right. That’s my big lesson. Now this guy down the street has this beautiful 17,000 mile or 1150 RT that I bought to be my new cruiser.

On to the next but…damn do I feel stupid.

Timing was the right call on the diagnosis. I knew that but couldn’t solve it. Damn…

Thank you all.

Thank you very much for posting your findings. A lot of people wouldn't have done that. If nothing else, it'll be a good example to some future member who is being told "this is simple" but for whatever reason is reluctant to see it through.

That said, and as a mechanic I am very reluctant to badmouth other mechanics, what the everlasting heck? How can someone diagnose a mistimed spark as a "toasted motor"? What on earth were they looking at that indicated anything beyond basic tune-up stuff? Not understanding how a motor works isn't license to tell someone the motor is toast, especially when the owner is going to make a financial decision based on your input.

Back