Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No spark

No spark

Hello Oilhead Hive Mind,
    I did a search but I think I'm doing something wrong because when i search "no spark" i get posts from every forum and I don't see No Spark in any of the collected threads.

That aside, I hope I can get a check list /work flow for discovering the no spark issue.

2002 R1150Rt 17k miles. Was running 8 months ago, quit. Wouldn't start again, they sold it to me. The bike is just spotless.

Sidestand up, clutch pulled in, kill switch in center position, crank but no spark.

Is there a way to test the Motronic, HES and coil? I assume it's on of those. Though from what I did read, they were not common fail issues on the 1150Rt. The side stand and clutch switches could be a problem I know, how would I test for those?

Please point me in the right direction or to the posting where this has been discussed. I'm dying to try this bike out. Thank you!

Markus
    2000 R1100RT 118k mi
    2001 R1100RT 35k
    2002 R1150GS 80k
    2002 R1150RT 17k

Markus -

Generally the forum software search function is pretty poor. Your search found all threads with the word "no" and/or "spark" in them. So no wonder it was confusing!

While waiting for the experts, try this. Go to google and type in the search box site:forums.bmwmoa.org "no spark" ...include the quotes around no spark to find where these two words occur together. There might be some further reading there.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Step 1 would be to determine if it has just lost spark or whether it has also lost squirt. You can do this by removing one of the injectors but leaving the plumbing and wiring connected. Aiming the injector into a suitable container, crank the engine and observe the spray pattern. A nice spray is good. Dribbles are bad.

Your 2002 1150 is probably early enough that it was built with the early HES wiring which always fails. If the HES wiring fails you will lose both squirt and spark, or might get very erratic bits of both.

Do this test and let us know what you find.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Step 1 would be to determine if it has just lost spark or whether it has also lost squirt. You can do this by removing one of the injectors but leaving the plumbing and wiring connected. Aiming the injector into a suitable container, crank the engine and observe the spray pattern. A nice spray is good. Dribbles are bad.

Your 2002 1150 is probably early enough that it was built with the early HES wiring which always fails. If the HES wiring fails you will lose both squirt and spark, or might get very erratic bits of both.

I gotta second that comment after you have checked all your fuses, actually pulled them out and looked at them and pulled every relay and re-installed. Then you can confirm all your grounds are good and start looking for something more onerous.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Markus -

Generally the forum software search function is pretty poor. Your search found all threads with the word "no" and/or "spark" in them. So no wonder it was confusing!

While waiting for the experts, try this. Go to google and type in the search box site:forums.bmwmoa.org "no spark" ...include the quotes around no spark to find where these two words occur together. There might be some further reading there.
    Thank you for this! I have a new habit now.

Okay, so when I turn the bike on, I get a spray of fuel out of the injector, fine mist. When I crank, nothing. No fuel mist. Twist throttle, still no mist. This means HES is bad?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    How old is the battery?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    How old is the battery?
    OM
    Brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by mykrs View Post
    Okay, so when I turn the bike on, I get a spray of fuel out of the injector, fine mist. When I crank, nothing. No fuel mist. Twist throttle, still no mist. This means HES is bad?
    It is a very strong indication that the HES wiring bundle is bad. I recommend you PM GSAddict who can provide good advice and he does rewire these HES.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mykrs View Post
    Brand new.
    Great. Down on the lower left you can search HES in the Tag Cloud.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

It is a very strong indication that the HES wiring bundle is bad. I recommend you PM GSAddict who can provide good advice and he does rewire these HES.
    Thank you Paul.
    Considering the low mileage (17k) I am doubtful that the wiring is bad enough yet to cause the issue.
    That being said, although rare, is could be a faulty upper sensor. (which is replaceable)
    I would be glad to test the unit on my rotating tester and do a heat test on both sensors.
    Either way the wiring should be upgraded as it will fail at a later mileage.
    Reto
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

MORE help Needed!

The hall sensor did the trick and there is spark!
    Now...

There was no fuel, so I replaced the fuel pump, filter and hoses. The small hoses in the tank were shot, so I thought that was my problem, fixed.

Still wouldn't start, would chug a bit but wouldn't run.

I adjusted the valves, intakes were good. Exhaust were too tight. Both sides.

Checked fuel injectors, left side no action, right side some action. So I replaced the fuel injectors with used, but working, fuel injectors and both sides spit fuel, so installed them, and gave it a crank...

STILL won't start. It allllllmost starts, it sounds like it's gonna start, that cough of ignition, and sorta runs for just a second, but won't just catch and run.

What's left? What have I missed?

To remind you; This is a 2002 r1150rt with 17k miles that I bought not running from a guy who said it was idling, stopped and wouldn't start again, and it sat then for 8-10 months before he sold it.

All ideas are welcomed...it's got me beat right now. Thank you!

Markus
    2002 GS
    2000 RT
    1999 Funduro
    2001 RT

Go back to the beginning. Smarter folks know that you go back to the start and carry-on forward.

Pull, push, bang and blow.

If you are missing one or they aren't at the right time, it won't run.

If you got spark, fuel to the injectors, a compression test, properly done, might reveal a few things.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Have you done a compression test?
    Both plugs out, throttle held open.
    Report back.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Well I did do a compression test, though I did not have both plugs out, I did hold the throttle open and I got 70 pounds per cylinder. If I took the other plug out and sprayed the cylinder with some oil would they go up to 90-100? Would both plugs being out make a big difference? Is 70 pounds really bad news?