• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

If Einstein rode a motorcyle...

dlong

r8pEZ02.jpg

I've only had that happen once, but I was walking beside it, putting it in the garage. The side stand touched the ground and pushed it back enough the bike went over when I went to lean it on the side stand. That was a surprise.

I've only had that happen once, but I was walking beside it, putting it in the garage. The side stand touched the ground and pushed it back enough the bike went over when I went to lean it on the side stand. That was a surprise.

Yes Ponch! Almost he same thing happened to me in CO a few years ago outside a hotel. Fortunately, my fellow travelers (also riding Beemers) saw me struggling to keep the left cylinder off the pavement, and saved any damage (except to my ego). From that moment on, I always look twice to make sure the side stand is on something solid.

There's only 2 groups of people who have botched putting the sidestand down, those who have and those who will.:hungover
Nick
1990 K 75RT

Yes Ponch! Almost he same thing happened to me in CO a few years ago outside a hotel. Fortunately, my fellow travelers (also riding Beemers) saw me struggling to keep the left cylinder off the pavement, and saved any damage (except to my ego). From that moment on, I always look twice to make sure the side stand is on something solid.

Mine went down slowly as it pushed against me. It scratched the pannier. I had a worse time when I tried to ride it up a ramp and it stalled. That was fun. I scratched the other pannier. Both incidents taught me a lesson.

Lots of people have had a bike fall over because the didn't put the side stand down. But how about one falling over because they did?

I had my R1150R on my Handy lift. The sidestand was down when I grabbed the handlebars and rolled the bike backwards off the lift. Oops! As the rear wheel rolled backward down the lift ramp the sidestand (of course) contacted the lift bed and as the bike rolled backward the stand forced the bike to lean to the right.

I, being on the left side of the bike was soon picked up off my feet trying to keep the bike upright and not rolling off the lift, until it was on its side I was on top of it.

Lots of people have had a bike fall over because the didn't put the side stand down. But how about one falling over because they did?

I had my R1150R on my Handy lift. The sidestand was down when I grabbed the handlebars and rolled the bike backwards off the lift. Oops! As the rear wheel rolled backward down the lift ramp the sidestand (of course) contacted the lift bed and as the bike rolled backward the stand forced the bike to lean to the right.

I, being on the left side of the bike was soon picked up off my feet trying to keep the bike upright and not rolling off the lift, until it was on its side I was on top of it.

I had that happen with Annie’s F650GS. It happened very quickly, but I let go before it pulled me over.

Not so funny home video. Take it you survived to tell about it.

Try it with a 900 pound Harley!

I was rolling my 2010 Limited off the lift and forgot to lift the side stand. Of course I found out when it was too late. Fortunately I was able to hold the motorcycle up as I was sitting on it. I tried to push the motorcycle back up onto the lift, but no go while leaned over. I can't do it under normal conditions! I was able to lean it over to the right even farther and flick the stand up with my left foot. No easy feat when you are just about maxed up weight wise. I am 5'10 " and 180 pound, and no body builder so it was a bit of luck that I saved it.

Mine went down slowly as it pushed against me. It scratched the pannier. I had a worse time when I tried to ride it up a ramp and it stalled. That was fun. I scratched the other pannier. Both incidents taught me a lesson.
I have three steps to get into the house with my bike. Before I bought my current bike, I had a temporary ramp to get up them. When I rode it home from the dealer, the back wheel spun out on the tile putting me into a low side slide up the ramp. Then the back wheel caught traction and flipped over on the other sliding across the patio. It was pretty exciting but the only real damage was a scratched cylinder head and a broken tip on the brake lever.

So I went to a dealer and bought a new brake lever. On the way into the house from that trip, I was very careful not to give it too much power on the tile at the bottom of the ramp. So that time I stalled it halfway up the ramp. The ramp was too narrow to put your feet down. Fortunately a friend was watching and helped me keep it upright.

After that the bike stayed in the house for a few days while I built a proper ramp. Now the ramp is a 4x8 sheet of plywood with non-skid paint and it is a piece of cake to get in and out of the house.

I have three steps to get into the house with my bike. Before I bought my current bike, I had a temporary ramp to get up them. When I rode it home from the dealer, the back wheel spun out on the tile putting me into a low side slide up the ramp. Then the back wheel caught traction and flipped over on the other sliding across the patio. It was pretty exciting but the only real damage was a scratched cylinder head and a broken tip on the brake lever.

So I went to a dealer and bought a new brake lever. On the way into the house from that trip, I was very careful not to give it too much power on the tile at the bottom of the ramp. So that time I stalled it halfway up the ramp. The ramp was too narrow to put your feet down. Fortunately a friend was watching and helped me keep it upright.

After that the bike stayed in the house for a few days while I built a proper ramp. Now the ramp is a 4x8 sheet of plywood with non-skid paint and it is a piece of cake to get in and out of the house.

The ramp I made is 2' wide. I should have made it wider...

:thumb Good story!

Back