• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

If Einstein rode a motorcyle...

I had pulled into shop thru side roll- up and left on side stand. Later decided it was blocking path and was going to move it in front of large door for next exit. Standing on left side, I lifted bike to push it and something on right side kept me from getting weight off side stand. Next thing I remember was a slow fall to right and me on top of bike... got up to make sure H wasn’t seeing any of that , took a pic anyways:banghead Side stand still down:thumb

7D14F644-8CCB-406B-A85A-E0FAB97249BC.jpeg

A few of us were parking together in a parking lot when my bike was falling over to the left into the next bike. I thought the side stand wasn't down but when we looked we realized the side stand was breaking off! They dealer sent me a new one after we sent photos with all the fail areas circled and described by a certified inspector. :)

Does H visit the forum, or should I cut, paste and email?

I'm thinking a letter with characters cut out of various magazines together with a "request for funds" to ensure the picture doesn't get sent to H might be the next step. :wave

Ha, already told on myself. Being a rider as well, she has a few gravity is more powerful than human stories.

I have only been witness to one on her K12S when I told her the road to the zip line in Ponca, AR was “fine”.
Heard all sorts of language roar out of canyon behind me as I was parking my bike and walked up the hill to face her displeasure and pick her bike up as it was saddle side on the downhill... the zip line was nice though:love
When we were first dating and in Big Bend with group I was the noob in, I had my RT on centerstand as we were packing up Sunday. H was putting something in top case ,
so she didn’t have to strap on her bike,and bike rolled off stand on the incline while she tried to hold it up...Several lessons learned on that one... leave on side stand, leave in gear, be aware of slope parking, and have a sense of humor... and earplugs! :fight

Steve, Do you remember Chuck's 1150R at Branson, on the side stand, running, facing uphill, start to roll/slide backwardsdown the slope, turning in a semi circle until facing downhill and off the side stand and falling over while we all just stood there thinking WTF?

It seems we all have a story to tell....

I was out for a ride with my wife on our Ducatis which at the time, compared to other motorcycles, had a notoriously restrictive steering lock. We came upon a restaurant we wanted to go to but had to do a u-turn in order to park in front of it. I should mention here that the restaurant had a sidewalk patio full of diners. Anyhoo...my wife starts to do the turn, hits the steering stop and ends up doing a slow motion high-side fall over. I park my bike, run over to pick up her bike which was resting on its right side, get it upright and proceed to lean it over onto its still-retracted sidestand and....boom, over it goes again. With stereotypical Canadian politeness, no one on the patio was laughing. Not outwardly, at least. :laugh

No riders were physically injured however both suffered mental anguish issues long into that evening.

Mine happened in the first couple of weeks of ownership...

We signed a lease for a new apartment days after I signed the loan for the R1200R. The move was only a few blocks, so there were lots of short trips back and forth. One night, as we were transferring to staying at the new place, I made a trip over to grab the milk out of the fridge. I parked on a slight slope, and when I walked away the bike seemed stable. Ran inside, grabbed the gallon of milk and a couple of other items, came back out and it was still standing.

Pop open the top box (I'd left side cases at the other place), place the stuff in the box, close the lid, step over to the side to mount... As I reach for the bars, they are mysteriously moving away from me... In horror, I watch the bike fall, and almost turtle as the slope increased a little from where I was parked. I didn't make the mistake of trying to grab it, as I knew instinctively what would happen with a bike more than twice my mass. So, it scratched the top case, the right mirror, broke the hand brake lever and scratched the right valve cover. An expensive lesson... The valve covers are now hidden by Machine Art Moto guards (cheaper than a replacement).

Steve, Do you remember Chuck's 1150R at Branson, on the side stand, running, facing uphill, start to roll/slide backwardsdown the slope, turning in a semi circle until facing downhill and off the side stand and falling over while we all just stood there thinking WTF?

Not picturing that one as that may have been right before my time, though I have been involved picking his bike(s) up for some time ... on way to DesMoines Rally, a woman walked into hotel lobby and
casually said “ I think one of your friends is under his bike”
I ran out to find him just getting it off it’s parallel plane and trying to get him out of bind, managed to get a hernia. Dangit... kinda damped my rally and after rally ride plans. Rode home and to hospital. Four weeks later he calls me asking which doctor I used... yep, he was in his garage alone and had same
results.

Fun stories NOW

Lots of people have had a bike fall over because the didn't put the side stand down. But how about one falling over because they did?

I had my R1150R on my Handy lift. The sidestand was down when I grabbed the handlebars and rolled the bike backwards off the lift. Oops! As the rear wheel rolled backward down the lift ramp the sidestand (of course) contacted the lift bed and as the bike rolled backward the stand forced the bike to lean to the right.

I, being on the left side of the bike was soon picked up off my feet trying to keep the bike upright and not rolling off the lift, until it was on its side I was on top of it.

...at that moment, your wife walks in and sees you "engaged" on top and leaves- telling all her friends that she caught you in flagrante delicto with A MOTORCYCLE

...at that moment, your wife walks in and sees you "engaged" on top and leaves- telling all her friends that she caught you in flagrante delicto with A MOTORCYCLE

I'm pretty sure if Voni had seen that there would have been photos posted on Facebook. :stick

Confession's good for the soul...

I learned the hard way to always leave the bike in gear if using the side stand. At a gas stop on the way to Colorado, after fueling up, I was "scootching" around in the seat to get comfortable, and suddenly was falling over...reckon I "scootched" too much and the bike rolled forward a bit, and up came the side stand. Two guys helped me raise the bike and I sheepishly eased away. There, I fell better now....

Back