• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Old new old member

komalleyjr

Hi everyone
My name is Ken OMalley, Jr. I've been an MOA member since 1989 but I have not been active on this forum. I've attended a number of rallies. Some of you may remember the chicken rally in Huntsville, AL back in the day. That was an annual event for me and several friends. My first BMW was a 1985 K100RS. I really loved that bike. Then i bought a 1994 R1100RS which i also enjoyed, a little too much it would seem, as I ran it off the side of a mountain in North Carolina in 1999. With that I took a 12 year break from riding though i continued my MOA membership and continued to enjoy receiving the MOA news. Then my 19 YO son asked me to help him buy a motorcycle. After finding him a used Ninja 250 we were at a local dealer buying him some riding gear when i spotted a 2 YO left over Kawi EX500. With a call to the wife and a swipe of the credit card i was riding again. I did not realize how much i had missed riding. It was like i had never stopped. Since then i moved up to a Ninja 650 which was an excellent bike. Riding in the mountains shortly after a winter season i found some road repair gravel the hard way while slowing for a turn and without ABS I low-sided. That prompted me to purchase a new Kawi Versys 650 with ABS. It is a ridiculously good motorcycle for the money. I rode it to the MOA National in Hamburg, NY and the national in Lebanon, TN.

Some of you might know my Dad, Ken O'Malley, Sr. He's a long time MOA member and an Ambassador. He is no longer able to ride due to some health issues. Dad was in the middle of restoring a 1973 R60/5 SWB and Toaster tank. It was in really rough shape when he got it but he did some amazing work with it. Unfortunately, he was not going to be able to finish it so i took over the project. Dad is happy that the bike is staying in the family. I love this bike. It reminds me of Dad's new at the time blue R75/6. That was the second most beautiful bike I had ever seen next to Dad's red Norton 850 Commando. With this restoration I'm ready to dig in :eat though I may be in a little over my head so I will probably be asking for help from some of you long time Air Head guys along the way.

Anyway i am really excited to be back on a BMW again even if it is still in pieces. I look forward to meeting many of you through this forum.

KenO

Welcome to the forums Ken. My first rally was the chicken rally at Huntsville’s Ditto landing in 2009. Connie Reeves was the Rally Chair, I think... with help from Vance and Mari... Don Little was running the BBQ.
My first national was Hamburg... been to every one since. Hope to meet you soon at an event or rally. Happy Thanksgiving sir.

Last edited:
Welcome! You'll find a lot of help with your R60/5 project, and you'll love riding it all the more. I know your dad, but was unaware of his health issues. Please pass along my best wishes.

Back