• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 R1200RT ESA Rebuild

TEDZEMLICKA

Any experience with Lindemann or EPM for rebuilding ESA Shocks? In the neighborhood of $300 per shock to rebuild and recharge the nitrogen. I put Wiburs on when I had an 1150RT but thought I'd check this route first.

I have recent (mixed) experience with EPM concerning the rebuild of Hyperpro ESA shock that came on my '12 RT. The shock was leaking so I sent it off after getting a informal estimate over the phone to do what was needed and a time frame to do it. I called to get a status as the expected completion date arrived and was told they had not received it. I let them know that according to UPS tracking they had received it, with that they confirmed it was there and it was in line to be worked. Called a few days latter and it still had not been worked... so it was now well behind the original schedule. I let them know I was up against a deadline for a planned road trip and with that they gave it some priority. With the next call the price increased about 50%, the next call it increased again. I questioned that and they reverted to the original increase.

I received the shock in time to make my trip. Upon installation I realized the bike was sitting lower than before... to the point that getting the side stand down was difficult and when down the bike was standing dangerously vertical. Turns out they found a non-standard preload configuration and made a part change that effectively lowered the ride height of the bike. After a series of phone calls I came to understand what part they changed and why. I had them send it to me, I reinstalled it, the ride height was restored and I made my trip. The shock seems to be working fine and is not leaking.

As I recall the bike was down almost 3 weeks, the time needed to rebuild the shock was probably about 3 hrs. Shipping accounted for about 4 days there and back.

In summary I am not impressed with their business practices. The upside is that they responded once prodded and the tech I conferred with on the phone was helpful and responsive.

Back