• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Just took the "Maximum Control 1" course and wow!

gbernier

Hi All,

About a year ago, I returned to riding after a 13 year hiatus and on impulse bought a very lightly used 2013 R1200RT with only 5400 miles. It is the dream bike I had been pining over for those 13 years. I tried to do it smartly and took some private riding lessons as a refresher and since have put about 6,000 miles in the last 11 months. I love the bike and I love riding it but before I got too overconfident, I felt it was a good time to take some more real training...the RT is a little top heavy and my slow speed maneuvering needed some help.

This past Saturday, I took MotoMark1's Maximum Control 1 day long class in Burlington, NC (https://www.motomark1.com/coarse/2-wheel-coarse-10/). This class was perfect for me and the timing could not have been better. I highly recommend it for any rider that needs a brush up on slow speed bike handling. The class is predominantly cone drills, mixed in with breaks to review and critique video taken during the drills. The instruction starts with basic in line cone weaving while the instructors provide feedback and correction through the helmet intercom, progressing through offset cone weaving and ending with about 20 foot tight circles. The day ended with an incredible confidence booster "follow the leader" exercise doing turns, weaves, circles and direction changes that I could have never done a mere 6 hrs earlier!

The instructors were supremely experienced, have obviously been doing this a very long time and very personable. At one point we had more instructors and helpers than students all supervising the various drills. To top it off, they include a pretty savory and healthy lunch of chicken kabobs, salad and pita bread. Given the emphasis on clutch control, expect your left hand to get a workout!

I will be practicing what I learned over the next few months (my RT and NC weather affords me the luxury of year round riding) and plan on taking the level 2 class at some point.

In summary, I highly recommend this course and if you are anywhere close, MotoMark1 can help arrange lodging discounts nearby if you want to make a weekend of it and take both level 1 and 2 over two days. Last but not least....many thanks to the MBWMOA Paul B scholarship fund who helped defer the cost of the class!!!

Gary B
Chapel Hill, NC

I would love to take a slow speed course using borrowed bikes, like a fleet of RTPD bikes outfitted with plenty of protection. The thing that hinders my training is not a fear of falling, but a fear of dropping my bike, and causing damage. If I could practice this skill using a hard to damage version of my bike, I would definitely push myself harder.

Great to hear about this!

I would love to take a slow speed course using borrowed bikes, like a fleet of RTPD bikes outfitted with plenty of protection. The thing that hinders my training is not a fear of falling, but a fear of dropping my bike, and causing damage. If I could practice this skill using a hard to damage version of my bike, I would definitely push myself harder.

Great to hear about this!

Honestly, that was my biggest fear. I have rear crash guards to protect the side cases but only had the plastic cylinder head protectors in the front. I did put my foot down a few times but in the end, I never dropped the bike and none of the other students did either. The skills are taught so gradually that you're less likely to drop the bike as you progress and get a really good handle on the balance and what to do when you feel the bike tipping too much. Ok, one of the instructors dropped a well protected KTM ADV bike but they were goofing around pretty aggressively. My take is it's better to improve skills in a controlled environment in order to save me the grief of dropping it during a ride somewhere where I end up getting stuck (and worse, in front of other riders :)). I decided my bike is made to ride and it's going to get whacked and scratched some in the process. I'd rather have the confidence than a pristine bike.

Remember its not "How" you drop your bike but "When"
I have 3 and all have been dropped several times over the years.
Free Advice from the cheap seats.
Unless it a Honda 125, get some help.
I fractured my L4 this spring trying to pick up my Kawasaki C-14 by myself.
Ouch that hurt, bad. 280 miles form home!
Won't do that again.
Nick
2014 C-14
1990 K75 RT
1978 R/80

Back