• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How much for a rebuilt 1983 R80 ?

The R NineT is an oil cooled throw back. So no water cool 😎.
Just saying to try one. No harm in that.
I tried one and bought one. Have not ridden my S1000R since.
It’s a lot of fun. Mine had 638 miles and was under 10k. At a BMW dealer.

I am in the Rochester NY area. My friend's shop is in Niagara County in a little one horse village called Johnsons Creek. The Name is the Beemer Barn. Glenn does not have a website as he is not much of a tech guy.

His number is 716 735 3458.

One thing I want to be clear about is I am not opposed to cafe bikes or scramblers or any other custom bike. Not every one wants a stock bike, and in some cases the current cafe bike craze is leading younger, new riders to BMW airhead bikes. That means some parts will still be available which may have faded away.

I am opposed to shoddy workmanship, cobble jobs and disreputable builders conning people.

Getting back to THIS bike, I really think $7K is just too much for an unknown quality of build and skill. Better to buy a non running parts bike or barn find or something cheap then with Knowing you need a rebore or head work or wiring or whatever, you can decide if you want to spend the money on how you want things to be done and control how they are done.

Paying a steep price for an unknown is a bad way to start out, I have seen more than a few disappointed people pay too much for a "great bike, everything has been rebuilt", and payed the price or turned off of BMW airheads altogether. St.

would you say there is any key things to look for when checking out a bike to purchase? he did say he did not touch the electrical at all so i can assume that may be shot given how it was kept by its previous owner?
he did send over videos of him riding the bike at aprox 45mph.

Funny thing, I have an R100/7 Scrambler in the shop now and a 2019 RnineT Scrambler in the shop. They are practically identical in concept: Brown leather seat, silver tank, fat tires, headlight bucket. But the RnineT is bone stock, fully featured, under warranty, high performance, as BMW engineered it. The /7 scrambler is really nicely done, and feels nice, but for what is probably the same money I can't say that it is better in any way other than maybe uniqueness (although the shop that built it has made similar bikes).

R nine T

I am attracted to the R nine T.

I get the thing about having a modern bike with warranty.

As a teen, I loved the Doge Challenger, I almost bought one but didn't have the money at the time. Now, I have the money, I can buy one. So, I look at the originals with the 60's and 70's tech and compare them to the current one. Hands down, I would buy either one as a toy. However, the nod goes to the modern version. I remember how the original car rode, performed, and the gas mileage. The new version is head and shoulders above in performance reliability, ride and gas mileage.

Still, there are guys who spend big bucks restoring or restomoding the originals.

What ever turns you on. In this case I just think the money being asked for this bike is too much to pay for it. ßt.

I am attracted to the R nine T.

I get the thing about having a modern bike with warranty.

As a teen, I loved the Doge Challenger, I almost bought one but didn't have the money at the time. Now, I have the money, I can buy one. So, I look at the originals with the 60's and 70's tech and compare them to the current one. Hands down, I would buy either one as a toy. However, the nod goes to the modern version. I remember how the original car rode, performed, and the gas mileage. The new version is head and shoulders above in performance reliability, ride and gas mileage.

Still, there are guys who spend big bucks restoring or restomoding the originals.

What ever turns you on. In this case I just think the money being asked for this bike is too much to pay for it. ßt.

Agreed. I ended up turning it down.

... 7k.
The engine/ carbs/ brakes have been rebuilt, frame/ rims/ engine painted, tank resealed, among other work done. The bike is ready to be modified.

It wasn’t “ready to be modified” it was modified. Sounds like someone else’s started and abandoned project. If that’s the case it could have a very low value. You never posted pics but it’s probably a good thing you walked away. You can probably find decent donor bikes for less than half of that.

Agreed. I ended up turning it down.

You did the right thing. Geez, for seven grand it would have to look like it just came off the show room floor. But I also agree with BC1100 about the value. A lot of people will currently pay top dollar for an airhead (why, I don't know) but the more stock, the higher the value. Once someone cuts them up, throws half the parts away, they end up with a bike that very few people want. $1500 would be about right, if you can even find someone who would buy it.

I like airheads, I've owned two. But they are not for serious riding over long distance, or for two up riding. Just check the bikes used by the mileage contest winners. They are kind of like model Ts. Cute, fun to putter with. The RNine Ts look much like them, but are light years ahead.

Oh, and my last airhead showed thirty thousand miles on the odometer, which the short term owner assured me was correct. It was filthy, had completely rusted out mufflers and the handlebars were pitted with rust, to name just a few of it's wonderful qualities. Yes, I figure it was actually 130,000 miles. Pretty typical for airheads.

R75/7

In this particular bike, it was only offered one year 1977 as a cross over from the R75/6 to the newer /7 models. I don't know if you will have problems getting any parts for it or not being a one year release.

If I had the time and money, I would buy it and restore it to original. This was my first BMW bike and it was a sweet running machine. I only got rid of it because I wanted two disc brakes and a factory fairing. If I had been able to install an RT faring on it, I would still be riding it. Of course now I know an RT fairing can be installed with a little work but back then, there weren't many spare fairings kicking around.

In 78, they went to the R80/7 bike. St.

Back