• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'91 R100GSPD Electrical Questions

leafman60

1. How does the accessory receptacle work? Does it energize when the key is turned on or when the bike starts running?

2. Anyone have the bulb number for the parking light? This is in the rectangular headlamp assembly.

Thanks

#2. The fiche says the bulb is 12v 4W. How easy is it to get to the bulb? That would clearly give you some numbering to find a replacement. According to RealOEM, that bulb is used on a wide range of BMW cars as well as a common bulb for other bikes, even Oilheads and K-bikes. I googled "bmw motorcycle parking light bulb" and found quite a few hits.

Forum search - https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?64340-Fairing-light-1983-R100RS

Germans do not use 'merikun bulb numbers. Best source is a German vehicle parts retailer, although some flaps may have what you want ... it will be labeled 4W

On Airheads the "accessory receptacle" is wired direct to the battery and therefore is "hot" all the time.

FWIW the name of this system is ISO 4165

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4165

Yeah, thanks for the replies. I have the info from the manual but it does not provide enough details so I can order a replacement. I think it's that BAX9 referenced in the link provided. I may already have a LED version of that. Guess I will have to do some work and remove that bugger and have a look.

On the accessory socket, thanks. I have a problem and know better where to look now. That socket is not shown on my wiring diagram.

Remember that a LED is polarity-sensitive: if it doesn't work when plugged in one way, flip it around the other way.

I tried a multi-segment LED as my parking light ('04 1150RT), it looked pretty cool and was certainly whiter and brighter than the filament bulb (and probably pulled a little less current), but over time, the individual segments died off. Cheap stuff, but sometimes it's the vibration that kills electronics. Presently, I have a single-LED "dome" style in there, which is also whiter and brighter and looks good. Not enough time with it to report its lifetime.

Back