• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake system fluid flush and replacement 2017 RT

brhartw

Hi,
i"m due for oil change and brake flush.

i handled both on my '99 1100RT with no issues. It was the ABS version.

Is there any reason that I can't also perform this service on a 2017 1200RT?

The '99 had just one front caliper and the '17 has two. So I'm guessing bleed each separately. I would use the traditional pump brake lever-hold-release fluid at bleed screw method.

Thanks for any tips!

I did it last year with the squeeze-pump method as well. I did not bleed the ABS circuit as some suggested. After some research, I don’t believe bleeding the ABS system is necessary.

Mine is also a 2017 RT.

A Triumph tech that I've long known and trust told me that I can change the brake fluid on ABS machines just as it's done on non-ABS systems. The amount of fluid in the ABS pump is minimal and circulates into the fresh fluid when you activate the ABS. As the amount is minimal it doesn't cause any issues.

So for the RT (or GS), there are three circuits to bleed.

1. Front caliper X2
2. Rear caliper
3. ABS pump

While the fronts and the rear could be bled with the traditional method, you would need to connect to the computer via the OBD port to purge the ABS pump. However, my research shows that there is no need to flush the ABS pump as part of your regular maintenance.

Here is some reference material:

Boxflyer https://youtu.be/CzNDG49O5Ac

JVB http://www.jimvonbaden.com

But, you do need to use a GS911 to cycle the ABS pump.

Cap

Yes, your need either the GS911 or MotoScan to trigger the ABS pump to crank out the brake fluid. But as mentioned before, this is not part of the schedule maintenance, apparently.

A Triumph tech that I've long known and trust told me that I can change the brake fluid on ABS machines just as it's done on non-ABS systems. The amount of fluid in the ABS pump is minimal and circulates into the fresh fluid when you activate the ABS. As the amount is minimal it doesn't cause any issues.

I should have added that I've done this at least a dozen times on ABS bikes without a problem (I change the fluid yearly).

For what the ABS module costs to replace, I am not taking any chances. I will flush it by the book.

I also find it ironic that with the ATGATT mentality here that anyone would recommend half a**ing a ABS brake flush. Then also consider the ABS module is a $2000 item.

Last edited:
I also find it ironic that with the ATGATT mentality here that anyone would recommend half a**ing a ABS brake flush. Then also consider the ABS module is a $2000 item.

It’s an every 2 year service so my dealer does it as I’m usually in for tires anyway and really not that expensive but they ALWAYS suggest doing the full system including the pump.

Back