• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Airhead (winter fixin up questions, etc)

Knocked off a little early today to play with the bike. Added some new problems to my mix. Drained a bit of the gas to take off the tank. Traced the wires and found the neutral switch wiring strapped to the frame and disconnected. Jumped the connection and the neutral light worked. Yeah! Ordered a new switch.

Looked closely at the back of the transmission and saw that the clutch "rod" or whatever was loose. (Remember I said I hated the feel of the lever?) I could spin it by hand. (photo as found below). So rather than read the nice directions you all posted, I just spun it in a little and worked the lever. Felt better.

Decided a unlicensed, unregistered bike with ancient tires is ripe for a test ride around the hood. Now it won't start. It made no sense. Figuring the only thing I'd touched was that clutch rod*, I backed it back out again and hit the stater. Joy. It worked. So, to press my luck, I spun it back in again and kept hitting the starter. Kept starting. Took it for a quick ride. It (clutch) felt better (aside from farting like mad just under 3000). I hit the turn signals. Now they don't work.

Bring it back in the garage and it's smoking a little either from the plug whole or from the gap by the valve cover. And then a little sizzle like when it's been run after a bath. But it had no bath. So is that oil burning off? If from the plug, OK, there was a little there. But from under the valve cover? I'm waiting for my tune up parts to arrive before I do a valve adjustment and all that.

*OK I took a plug wire off and it seems to be missing the cap. That seems odd, but normal? A different plug with a cap on it didn't fit in the wire....but I didn't force it either.

Oh and went to test the fork compression again (ordered oil) and find the handlebars would spin a little!. Yikes.

Steve's expanded project list:
- Tighten bars
- Figure out turn signals (I'm wondering if the clutch level switch is wonky and now so is the turn signal switch....the rod on the transmission shouldn't affect any of the latter, right?? It's just a mechanical thing, right?).
- What's smoking?

clutch rod.jpg

Back