Thread: 91 K100LT Tail Trunk On 95 R100RT

91 K100LT Tail Trunk On 95 R100RT

I would like a larger trunk, so I can remove the saddlebags most of the time. The current 22 liter trunk is hardly big enough, so I need the saddlebags to supplement. With all prior Airheads, I used a large tail trunk, usually Luftmeister, and only mounted the bags when needed. In looking at candidates, the 91 K100LT trunk is specific to that year, and looks very similar, in styling, to the 95 RT. Not sure about capacity, but would estimate maybe 35-40 liters. The mounts look to be transferable from the K to the R, but may need a bit of tweaking. I have located a couple of 91 KLT trunks, but have not yet found the mounts.

I like to keep Airheads near stock but, when pressed, choose function over form. Anyway, either trunk is bolt off & bolt on, so no permanent mods involved.

Has anyone where ever installed a K bike trunk, or any other larger trunk, on a mono shock Airhead? If so, any words of wisdom?

Thanks In Advance,
    Joe H
    BMWMOA #24809

How do the two trunks attach?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    How do the two trunks attach?
    The same basic rear mount that sits on top of the fender, other mount similarities are such that, I believe, if I can obtain 1991 K LT mounts, they'll be transferable to the RT, perhaps with a spacer here or there, lengthening, shortening, etc..
    Last edited by jhall; 11-22-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    BMWMOA #24809

I just bought a 1991 K100LT trunk off eBay. I've been studying K100LT & K1100LT trunks awhile, and most K100LTs came with the same 22L trunk that's already on my Airhead. I dislike the 22L because the lid opens from the wrong end, and the capacity is too small for me. Also, it only attaches with a single locking pin, so not sturdy enough to support the backrest (if actually used) without warping and misaligning the lid locking mechanism. In researching the K100LTs' optional 35L trunks, I discovered they are very hard to find. On a positive note, it appears the forward mount already on my Airhead can be easily adapted; the rear mount would be a simple bolt on, but they are even harder to find than the 35L trunk itself.

Though both are 35L, and the K1100 trunks are much easier to find, I much prefer the K100LT version. It sits low, very similar to the Airhead's 22L. But the K1100LT trunk is perched up high, and looks ridiculous. Even though it has a quick detachment and the lid looks easier to open/close, I'd never put one on the Airhead. I attached a pic of a 91 K100LT, to give the basic idea of what I am striving for on the Airhead. Will put the 22L on the shelf, in case I ever decide to sell the Airhead. BMW K100LT 90.jpg
    BMWMOA #24809

Have you given any thought to a Givi trunk. The base plate attaches to most racks and the trunk can be popped off with only the base plate left behind. They are very versitile, if you don't mind it not BMW branded.
    Bmw resize.jpg

GIVI 2 Thumbs Up

Chunk,
    I had a GIVI tail trunk on a Suzuki Strom, and loved it. I seriously thought about transferring it to the R100RT before selling the Strom to my son. It was a spacious 33L and, as you say, easily detachable and all around convenient. Though not a purist, I wanted to stay with something that looked, "correct" on the RT, sat low, an as far forward as possible while still allowing clearance for opening the seat. In my opinion, the 35L trunk shoulda also been optional for mono shock Airheads, instead of just for some years of K100LTs.

Two thumbs up for the GIVI though, nothing bad to say about it!

Joe H
    BMWMOA #24809

Quote Originally Posted by jhall View Post
    In my opinion, the 35L trunk shoulda also been optional for mono shock Airheads, instead of just for some years of K100LTs.
    We need to keep in mind that in the latter '80s and early '90s BMW had two, and then three design and engineering teams that barely talked to each other. The early Classic K Bike team was heavy with guys from the car side. The few on the Airhead team just plugged along. And then with the Oilheads emerging in '93 but the K Bikes continuing to '95 there was spillover but not much.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/