• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Installed luggage rack on 2020 RT1250RT

wemi

This is my solution to the luggage rack question.

It's a Honda Goldwing rack for a 2000 to 2017 GW 1800. Comes in black or chrome. It's getting harder to get since that model GW bike is out of production since 2018. The mounting hardware is from Wingstuff.

All together around $180 including tax and shipping. Installation straight forward. no problem with double wall on topcase. I used the wide washers to prevent denting the plastic when tightening. Was no problem.
measuring to make sure to clear the inside lumps in the lid is critical, but there is actually quite enough room

Attachments

• PXL_20201120_004107112.jpg
    PXL_20201120_004107112.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 360
  • PXL_20201120_004113813.jpg
    PXL_20201120_004113813.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 358
  • PXL_20201120_004119725.jpg
    PXL_20201120_004119725.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 351
  • PXL_20201120_005206326.jpg
    PXL_20201120_005206326.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 355
I see it has a 2lb cargo limit. Realistically, how much weight you think is OK? What is the recommended limit on the BMW rack (there is one- isn't there?

I have seen guys use a rack intended for Harley baggers. i just paid the price and bought a rack intended for the BMW topcase.

You do need to be a little careful. I mounted mine about 1/2 inch too far to the rear and almost had trouble getting the rear mounting screws in as they were very close to the bump in for the tail light.

I see it has a 2lb cargo limit. Realistically, how much weight you think is OK? What is the recommended limit on the BMW rack (there is one- isn't there?

Well, there is NO BMW rack from BMW. There are some after markets out there (Wunderlich and the plastic one, etc.). None of them have a much greater recommended carrying capacity. The carrying capacity certainly is NOT a function of the rack. The rack is made out of chromed steel and could probable take a few hundred pounds before it shows any strain. It is rather a factor of the bike. Since it is a Honda rack, they only recommend 2 lbs for the Goldwing. Aside of that, too much weight up top does not help the bike's stability. They are really only for decor. Mine serves its only purpose as a grip to close the lid. I don't like to use the topcase light frame as a closing grip. Due to the added weight of the rack (about 2 lbs) it also keeps the lid from slamming open from the gas struts.

It also serves as a good, additional bungie cord anchor to tie down things on my back seat for "the big trip".

Other than that it is just another useless farkle....;);)

Last edited:
Other than that it is just another useless farkle....;);)

Au contraire! I put one on the Harley FLH trunk on my K75FT. It makes the perfect place to dry out a wet rainsuit after the rain has stopped. It is also the perfect place for a 6 pack on the way to the campground, at slow speed of course. YMMV

Au contraire! I put one on the Harley FLH trunk on my K75FT. It makes the perfect place to dry out a wet rainsuit after the rain has stopped. It is also the perfect place for a 6 pack on the way to the campground, at slow speed of course. YMMV

I stand corrected!!:)

Back when we rode 2up and camped I used a topbox rack to hold our Thermarest pads.

1983_0007.jpg

Over about 5 years I put about 25K on rented Harley Ultras and used that rack for my rain gear. Perfect stop and easy access.

Back