• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Technology!!! Enough Already.....

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
I am suffering from technology overload, frustration and disappointment. In the past 4-5 months we have had the following gizmos fail: our PackTalk Bolds were often not repairing after a break in commo due to distance or masking, they were replaced by Cardo; Annie's electronic speedo on her Ural failed and was replaced under warranty; Annie's Hex ezCAN on her R1200GS would no longer power her auxilliary lights, it was out of warranty so I bought another and it is acting a bit wonky as well; my NAV VI GPS began "ghosting" while we were in Utah and became unusable, Garmin replaced it without any fanfare; a year or so ago my Hex GS911 failed, it was out of warranty but a well known purveyor of all things BMW interceded on my behalf and it was replaced. It is good that the manufacturers have all stood behind their warrantees but the time it takes to sort things out and the related stress it causes is getting very tiresome.

So enough is enough. Anyone have a few Airheads for sale?

So a bunch of aftermarket junk failed. Welcome to 1995.

The NAV VI is not aftermarket, nor was the TPS that failed on Annie’s 2017 R12GS that I neglected to mention, but who made the techno gizmo is beside the point. This is not aimed at BMW but rather at the cost we (I) pay in stress and dollars for the high tech bikes and gear we use. We have two 2017 wetheads that are approaching 50,000 miles. The threat of needing to spend $6,000 to replace the dynamic suspensions is all too real.

Just a rant to vent. Not claiming victim status, just exercising my God given ability to bitch.

I hear you. Bitch away. Nothing I can do about it, but I agree with you.

There IS something we can do, at least in theory. Refuse to buy the overcomplex vehicles, appliances, entertainment do-dads, etc. I still drive two older cars because a new one will have automated "junk" on it that I don't want. I take care of them and I will drive them as long as I can. I have not bought a new motorcycle in a few years for the same reason. When an appliance in the house breaks, we buy the Plain Jane version, as much as possible. My GPS for use in the cars is a several-year-old Garman that only calculates basic routes and shows arrival times and speed limits. It adheres just fine to my windshield if I put plenty of spit on the suction cup. I own lots and lots of paper maps for planning trips.

Keep complaining and doing every little thing you can do to rebel. Good luck.

I love my GPS. I have never ridden without one since 1997 or so, but;

Paper Maps
Printed Anonymous Book
Tire Pressure Gauge
A wrench to adjust my shock.
Hand signals when riding with Voni
A throttle cable that doesn't cause limp-home mode at 75, in traffic.
Brembo brakes
My fuel tank cap unlocks with a metal key, and then locks when closed.

Y'all can add to my list of favorites.

Last edited:
The “Tech” package I would like to see:

Tubeless tires and disc brakes.
Fuel injection and regular gas.
43mm fork tubes and $25 reseal kits.
Halogen headlight and $12 replacement bulbs.
Driveshaft with a single u-joint and splines in a bath lube.
Tapered roller steering head bearings.
Hydraulic valve adjusters.
Adjustable ergonomics.
Electronic analog gauges.
A flat seat.
Cruise control.

Still waiting ...

As Little as possible

I have written before about BMW turning me off in 1984 and my lack of desire to buy or ride any bike built after that time period. This thread is part of the reason for my action.
I have never had music on my bikes, nor GPS. One time I tried to use my "smart phone" for GPS navigation found me lost in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic in Allentown PA. So after that, on the bike it will be a paper map for main reference. I am trying out a new navigation device from the UK called Beeline. As I got it at the end of the riding season, I haven't had a chance to do much with it. So far, I am disappointed. So, I have a feeling I will be back to the paper maps.

I have never been one of the people who gush about BMW's latest technical marvel because I know somewhere down the line in time, it will bite the owner in the butt. I remember a friend proudly showing me his new K1600 Gtl, which disappeared out of his garage shortly after a couple of big bill routine maintenance visits followed by the closure of the local dealer then BMW's decision to pull the replacement dealer's franchise for lack of showroom floor space. He found himself with a lump he couldn't work on himself and the specter of as mentioned, a big ticket item wearing out was the final straw.

Oh, my airheads are not perfect, and for awhile, it looked like replacement parts would ground them but, things are looking better as people like Herr Siebenrock and others step up to bring NLA parts back for sale. I am confident I can repair anything on my two bikes and if I can't I know of a few independent shops who will do the work at far less cost than the franchised BMW dealerships who are burdened with high overhead and have to charge top dollar.

I could go on and on about the curse of modern society I guess it comes from reading G.K.Chesterton and Hilaire Belloc. St.

In aviation we call them gremlins since the 1940’s. It is getting close to Christmas, Gremlins is a Christmas movie... I think this clearly explains Kevin and Annie’s Dilemma.

Technology! It first entered my MC life aboard my new, then, 1978 R100RS in the form of an electronic tach. That was followed by electronic ignition and voltage regulator in my 1984 R100RT. It has proliferated en masse up to my present 2020 R1250 GSA and MC accessories. Will it ever end? Not! It's addictive and the manufactures now that. Enough said.....back to prepping my GSA for winter.

The “Tech” package I would like to see:

Driveshaft with a single u-joint and splines in a bath lube.
Adjustable ergonomics.
A flat seat.
Cruise control.

Still waiting ...

Hehe - you should buy a classic K-bike. They have all these things on your list:

Driveshaft with a single u-joint.
A flat seat.

As for the rest of your list, I've not seen limitations with the almost 42mm K-bike fork tubes, and if you install gators (like God intended) you won't need a seal kit. They don't have hydraulic lifters but about as close as you can get - you *might* adjust one or two valves in a 100,000 miles. The really hickey is their greased rear drive splines. But, that's a doable thing, and you should be able to convert K-bike rear splines to a gear lube system without a whole lot of trouble.

splines in a bath lube
Adjustable ergonomics.

I am suffering from technology overload, frustration and disappointment. In the past 4-5 months we have had the following gizmos fail: our PackTalk Bolds were often not repairing after a break in commo due to distance or masking, they were replaced by Cardo; Annie's electronic speedo on her Ural failed and was replaced under warranty; Annie's Hex ezCAN on her R1200GS would no longer power her auxilliary lights, it was out of warranty so I bought another and it is acting a bit wonky as well; my NAV VI GPS began "ghosting" while we were in Utah and became unusable, Garmin replaced it without any fanfare; a year or so ago my Hex GS911 failed, it was out of warranty but a well known purveyor of all things BMW interceded on my behalf and it was replaced. It is good that the manufacturers have all stood behind their warrantees but the time it takes to sort things out and the related stress it causes is getting very tiresome.

That's a lot of bad luck.
I hope you don't have a pacemaker :)

So enough is enough. Anyone have a few Airheads for sale?

You are correct, sir. We have far too many technological solutions chasing problems that don't exist, or are not as much of a problem as the "solutions" is when they go bad. My newest bike is my 2003 K1200RS, and my newest 4-wheel vehicle is our 2008 Forester. This is intentional for the reasons others have said, and as Jimmy Buffet sang, "I just don't need that much complication in my life."

Revision 1

We all have our own idea of where the "Goldilocks Zone" of the exact right amount of technology lies. For my part I'd add ABS to the list of wants. Like airbags in a car, if one only needs it once in a lifetime it can still be well worth it.

I would never claim that they're necessities, but I LOVE my cruise control and quick shifter and heated grips .

Ride long and prosper!

Last edited:
I love my 2017 R1200RT, and all of the techno wizardry. And after 4 years and 20k+ miles, everything still works. Something will break sooner or later, and I have a 5-year extended warranty to ease the pain when that happens.

But I appreciate that others won't share my enthusiasm. I liked my 2004 RT, but it was slow, and had weird brakes, and a time-bomb transmission input shaft. IMO, there is no comparison: the newer RT is vastly superior.

I wonder, for those who are pining for a return to simpler times, what are you really asking for? Do you want BMW to introduce a new line of bikes having a design that promotes ease of maintenance, and uses well-established reliable methods for controls, and less-complicated engines and suspensions? Are you sure? Would you be willing to pay a premium for it, or would you instead just buy a new FJR?

(not that there's anything wrong with owning an FJR) :hide

Cap

Recently purchased first car with distance measuring cruise control --- I hate it. I would turn it off if I could.

Makes little difference to me if it's on new BMW motorcycles as the only reason I can find for cruise on a motorcycle is for momentary hand resting/shaking out. After that I don't know where to put my throttle hand anyway. Plus I almost never ride alone and if I'm not front rider, cruise is usually a problem.

To criticize need for high octane fuel, however, is ridiculous. Higher compression means more power and simultaneously better fuel economy. Highest efficiency. Who doesn't want that?

It is a bit incongruous, too, to be a grumpy oldster on a BMW. BMW are first and foremost (these days) luxury goods and the mission of luxury goods is to be out in front with technology and style and eco friendliness. If that's not your thing, perhaps Urals and Royal Enfields are better for you. I'm guessing they run on low test fuel. Probably safer on them to run high tread life hockey puck tires, too.

Read this, checked the weather in Helena, 40 and sunny, go for a ride and quit bitchin about First World Problems

Marketplace is always a good place to go look and go back in time and purchase a Airhead, if you desire.
I looked at Airheads in there yesterday, there are a couple of Gems looking for some love.
Nick
1978 R 80

Last edited: