• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Funny sound after starting 94 R1100 RS

eastbay

Right after it starts it sounds like the starter is hanging up for a second, should I be worried, or do they all do it?[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cPyIwNbWb4qrcUoTu1kF-ebUiyJB1jph/view?usp=drivesdk[/video]

The noise you are hearing is the one-way clutch on the starter sticking. The fix is fairly easy. Remove the starter. Locate the disk shaped piece by the starter nose gear. It is silver, but may appear a darker color due to dust and grime. This is the one way clutch. It allows the starter to turn the engine but prevents the engine from spinning the starter while the nose gear is retracting.

Notice the seam in the face of this disk. With the starter nose facing straight up you can work a liquid into the internals of the clutch. I use electric motor cleaner first, followed by WD40.

You can use a screwdriver to turn the nose gear. Turning it one way will turn the whole starter shaft. Turning it the other way just causes the clutch to slip as designed. This helps clean and lubricate the starter clutch.

The noise you are hearing is the one-way clutch on the starter sticking. The fix is fairly easy. Remove the starter. Locate the disk shaped piece by the starter nose gear. It is silver, but may appear a darker color due to dust and grime. This is the one way clutch. It allows the starter to turn the engine but prevents the engine from spinning the starter while the nose gear is retracting.

Notice the seam in the face of this disk. With the starter nose facing straight up you can work a liquid into the internals of the clutch. I use electric motor cleaner first, followed by WD40.

You can use a screwdriver to turn the nose gear. Turning it one way will turn the whole starter shaft. Turning it the other way just causes the clutch to slip as designed. This helps clean and lubricate the starter clutch.

Thanks for the info . any hurry on doing this or can I wait till lousy weather later this winter . I don’t want to mess the starter up but it’s still pretty nice here in North Florida

Thanks for the info any hurry on doing this or can I wait till lousy weather later this winter it’s still pretty nice here in North Florida

It is not urgent, but do do it this winter would be my advice. It can all be done in about an hour of work.

... It can all be done in about an hour of work.

Who are you kidding? I can stretch this sort of activity to last the entire duration of a football game on the radio. Usually there is a lot of other stuff that needs cleaning, adjustment, or lubrication while I'm in the area. :)

Back