Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Removing Akrapovic stickers on Ti can?

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Reading this thread reminds me why I never want to buy a titanium exhaust system!
    Life, and riding time, are too short to be spending time caressing the finish on an overpriced muffler. Just sayin’...

Best,
    DeVern
    I agree with you partially. Its got nothing whatever to do with caressing a muffler, just trying to find an answer to as specific question. Only thinking about it as replacing the muffler one way or another isn't an option. Probably better just to replace it with someone else's pristine cast-off, stock or otherwise.
    Last edited by alexol; 11-21-2020 at 04:14 PM.

I've had an Akrapovic titanium exhaust can on my 2011 RT for 7 yrs. Don't do anything special as far as cleaning it, just wash it when I wash the bike. No scratches.
    Ken Martin
    2011 R1200RT
    Kingsport, TN

Quote Originally Posted by BMW_Ken View Post
    I've had an Akrapovic titanium exhaust can on my 2011 RT for 7 yrs. Don't do anything special as far as cleaning it, just wash it when I wash the bike. No scratches.
    Sorry but I'm obviously missing something here - how does this relate to the original question of removing a heat resistant sticker, as used on the newest Akros?

Orange Oil works great at removing labels, smells good too.

My answer to the original question is that it probably can't be done satisfactorily. We are talking about a decal/sticker/something attached to the muffler. Mufflers get hot. Simple things like hair dryers and typical solvents are not likely to work.

If I were inclined to try it would be with a heat gun and a nylon scraper.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

What about buying the Akrapovic that BMW sells?

8d33e056972ed30.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I've had an Akrapovic can on my '14RT since '14. It is not logo'd with a sticker. It is some kind of plasma etch or other treatment that is integral with the metal and looks as good as the day I put it on. If the cans are made the same way, you shouldn't have a thing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by bkia1 View Post
    I've had an Akrapovic can on my '14RT since '14. It is not logo'd with a sticker. It is some kind of plasma etch or other treatment that is integral with the metal and looks as good as the day I put it on. If the cans are made the same way, you shouldn't have a thing to worry about.
    Sounds like the BMW version of the exhaust (as pictured above in Lee's post). The generic version, which is the one I have on my 16 RT, has a sticker on it. I've simply left it alone as it doesn't bother me all that much. The generic version is a bit cheaper than the one from BMW but you do get the etching instead of a sticker.
    2016 BMW R1200RT
    1996 Honda VF750C Magna
    1983 Honda CB550 Nighthawk

Akrapovic sold by BMW

The one in Lee's photo is like the one I have. Gotta say, no complaints at all.

Heat gun works great, but beware

I used an actual heat gun to remove mine (comes right off with high heat) as I'm not a fan of stickers. Bad Idea. My brand new exhaust already had a discoloration (think ghost) outline of the decal on the Ti. I think it might have been from some kind of oxidation or UV discoloring. I'm probably the only one who ever notices it, but It still bugs me enough to order a new decal.

Thanks...

I received a reply from Akrapovic themselves:

"Thank you for your interest in Akrapovic Exhaust Systems. The decals can be carefully removed using a heat and acetone for the sticky residue. Be careful to not damage the carbon."

Quote Originally Posted by alexol View Post
    Sorry but I'm obviously missing something here - how does this relate to the original question of removing a heat resistant sticker, as used on the newest Akros?
    I see you got the answer from the manufacturer.

I believe he was just trying to tell you that the TI is not as soft and as easily scratched as has been stated. His care of just washing the muffler with no scratches would be what I get from his answer.

I am not a sticker guy but the Remus 8 etched on the side of my can does not bother me especially when a side case is on.

So get it ordered and snap some pics of getting it off, and installed. On thing mentioned in the thread is fade. I would get it off before it ever got hot from running. I would think that first heat cycle, especially the first cool down, will activate the sticker glue making it much harder to come off.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

VERY good point re the first heat cycle and glue activation!

I'd be happy with the etched version, I just find the sticker to be visually much louder than I'd want.

My choices have been clouded a bit by finding a NOS OEM muffler for pennies on the dollar. The original objective was to replace the scraped on on the bike. May just have to put the NOS one on the RT and get an Akro for the R1250R which is more of a fun bike anyway!