• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wheel Cleaner

poosu

poosu
Tried the search with no luck so here's a dumb question. My 1999 R1100RS has the alloy wheels which are getting dirtier than I like. I don't mind some TLC and elbow grease but the degreaser I use doesn't do much. I'm not super fussy, but the bike does look better with clean wheels. Any suggestions?

Spray on some Simple Green and hose them down. If they are still dirty spray it again and use a paint brush to loosen the dirt.

Short reply. Simple Green was no better than the other degreasers I have us

This bike has 100K on it with average care. I like a clean bike but I'm not Mr. Clean.

I looked into Plexus and found it's pricey, but not unreasonable. However it specifies plastic and the wheels are definitely not. $22/can is kind of high for something that doesn't work. Has anyone had success with Plexus on wheels?

Other possibilities?

After story: Took the bike for a nice morning spin over to WalMart to get the Simple Green. A bit cloudy but comfortable Central Florida morning ride. Got back, let the bike cool then went out with my Simple Green and scrub brushes and went to work, front wheel first. Got to the rear and as I was rotating the wheel for cleaning I felt a bump. A quick glance and there was a well used small bolt head sticking out of my tire. With the Simple Green, little bubbles were slowly coming out along side.

When I picked up a used wheel off a LT model a few months back it was pretty crusty from lack of cleaning. What I found that worked the best were SOS pads, they cleaned the wheel with no issues.

Clean Wheels

I am afraid if I clean my wheels they would get dirty again, they also would make the rest of the bike look bad.
Finally whatever time I spend cleaning my bike is time that I would never get back.

I use Spray 9. Buy it at Wal-Mart for about $6. Wet the wheel with water, spray on the Spray 9, scrub lightly with a long-handled kitchen brush (to get into all the nooks and crannies), rinse with water. Wheels look like new.

My wheels are painted which may make a difference but, I've had good luck with meguirs final detail.
Cleans the brake dust very well.

The wheels on my '03 R1150RT are painted, as are the swing arm and final drive. Spray 9 on all of them, hasn't harmed the finish at all. I've tried Simple Green before and was underwhelmed.

S100

It is a Harley Davidson recommended product. I assume it is still on their shelves. I have not looked in a while, I bought a gallon of it.

There was a guy that attended many rally's and did bike cleaning/detailing. He used a product called Totally Awesome to clean and de-grease the bikes. Available for a $1. at most stores. Its the bomb!
12129.jpg

Living almost in Daytona Beach I do have lots of motorcycle stuff nearby. I discovered J&P Cycles has all of this stuff so I set out this AM and picked up a $28 spray can of Plexus. I immediately tried it when I got home and sadly it did nothing. I even used a toothbrush to work it into the tight spots. My wheels aren't terrible but those stains have been there a while. Does anyone know if the wheels on a 1999 R1100RS are painted? I could spray them at next tire change. SOS pad seems like it would take off whatever finish is on them.

Back