• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 R1200RT: Can ASC (Traction Control) be retrofitted to this bike?

I thought of doing the same on my 2010. My research tells me new button and programming cost from dealer

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Retrofit ASC has been available since 2010 for select motorcycles; I did this on my 2009 R1200RT last year...

See this thread : Retrofit ASC 2009 R1200RT
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...st.php?p=1163781&share_type=t&link_source=app

Note that there are starting serial numbers for bikes capable of the retrofit mentioned in the BMW letter I posted in the thread.

Also note there is a switch and programming involved as you suggested earlier...and make sure they not only program the BMSK, but the KOMBI module (instrument cluster) as well so the ASC light will function (altho’ this can be enabled later if you have the Motoscan app).

Somehow this fact escapes some ‘new’ BMW techs who have not performed this procedure.

It would be an interesting experiment to see if you could add the switch and then try recoding the BMSK yourself with Motoscan and enable ASC(don’t know if that is possible in Motoscan but worth a try).

If I get a chance in the next couple of days I’ll get out my ELM327 unit and Motoscan and take a look...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interestingly enough, I looked at a translation of the Motoscan website and it indicates the Ultimate version of the software (which I have) allows coding of modules...I did this with a Kombi module, but this implies it might be able to add features to the BMSK-P to add code 650 (ASC)...

27943dcf17dcf927e6312fb205abaf7a.jpg

The switch for your later Hexheads/Camheads (2010-2013) is spendier than the earlier models...I found a good used one for my 2009 and installed it:
9bd5407e5d491c8cd3778e338060484d.jpg

Later-model 2010-2013 combo switch:
4541f1bc6d7de347f71d7ffc49842320.jpg

(Note: All the ASC portion of the switch really consists of is a single-pole normally-open momentary contact switch, so you could just install one somewhere on the bike that is convenient if you don’t want to shell out $400+USD for a new combo switch assembly for the 10-13 bikes. You’ll also need to fab a 2-wire harness to go from the switch to an appropriate ‘repair connector’ to mate with the bike wiring harness under the fuel tank).

As it turns out the connector for the pigtail from the switch (at least on the 2009) is located down next to the ECU, and the connector has a weathercap and is taped to another portion of the wiring harness...so you have to remove the fuel tank (no big task, been there before). Covered the connector with heat shrink and wire-tied everything into place.
4d8cca9c47ca526c51a68689f87360e2.jpg

1bf5fd9e79c5c493d589290487645cb1.jpg

After that you just have to order up the code from BMW and have your tech put it in with the BMW service computer (.5 hrs labor). (Or just maybe Motoscan Ultimate)...

An additional cautionary note...this was performed on a 2009 RT; the connectors may be different on the bike-side harness on later models due to the integrated combo switch shown above; I do not know if they stayed with a separate 2-pin connector.

The best way to check is to pull the fuel tank and find the ASC connector if you’re going to DIY this project.

BTW...I found the schematics for the 2010 (type code 0440) which shows the ASC circuit. Of course they are in German [emoji849]. Send me a PM if you want/need them.

Ride safe!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back