• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R1200GS high mileage opinion ?

kjeppesen

A local BMW has the subject bike for sale at a very low price.
It does have 144k miles.....
And does NOT have wire wheels.
Is that a deal killer ?
Has the factory aluminum luggage

Asking 3695 but I would not pay a dime over 3,000 maybe 2500 is more appropriate. But it’s at a BMW dealer. Has been there a long time. So it’s probably negotiable

A local BMW has the subject bike for sale at a very low price.
It does have 144k miles.....
And does NOT have wire wheels.
Is that a deal killer ?
Has the factory aluminum luggage

I think the GSA came with the laced wheels. Check the age of the tires and battery.
Good luck.

My big deal breaker question was related to the 144k. But I guess it would not be sold at a BMW dealership if it was about to Grenade ?

My big deal breaker question was related to the 144k. But I guess it would not be sold at a BMW dealership if it was about to Grenade ?
I bought a 2007 R1200RT several years ago that had a "bad noise" when shifting. The bike was a 9.5 cosmetically with a meticulous owner but he had been trying to sell it for several months without success and kept steadily dropping the price. It helped that I knew the owner and had ridden 1000s of miles with him since the bike was new so I considered it and took it for a ride. The bike had 188,000 miles on it but the engine ran great and had good compression and leakdown numbers. I took a week to check on cost for clutch parts and cost & availability of good used transmissions so I took if home for $1000. I do my own wrenching and after $800 in a new clutch and good used low(er) mileage transmission I rode it 4 months and 4,000 miles and sold it with a clean conscience and 192,000 miles for $2800. I believe that bike has another 40 or 50K in it. Believe me I never make money on bikes and I didn't buy that one with that in mind. I would have kept it but for the grief it caused me at home. My wife played the "another motorcycle without checking with me" card that wasn't worth the aggravation. About two years go by and I started looking for a 2007-2009 RT because I really liked riding the project bike. ( I checked with the wife first :) )I found a one owner bike with complete service records and 89,000 miles for $3500. A year and 15,000 miles later I like it more and more. If it grenades or not and lasts another 10 years (I'm 65) I can afford the small financial risk.

The point to my story is 144k is ~50K less than that one you are considering and the engines and running gear are very similar. If you get it for a good price and can afford the risk of Big Bill coming to visit then what do you have to lose, especially if you do your own maintenance?

Thanks. I thought a well kept specimen would be good for 200k. I figure if it made it past 100k many underlying issues would have surfaced. And 144k would indicate the possibility of proper maintenance

'05 is the first model year and had plenty of bugs.,and has the problem prone servo ABS
You are better off with '08 or newer. Heavier transmission, a bit more power and most used parts common all the way to 2013.
If you are offroading wire wheels are a must.

Last edited:
Back