• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

No power to dash power outlet (99 r1100rt)

JOR99RT
I used to charge the battery on my bike using the power outlet. Now, the charger doesn't recognize that there's a battery at all through the power port. No voltage showing on the outlet itself. Ditto a couple of add-on outlets the previous owner added.

All fuses look good. They are the old type with the fuse wire exposed at the top. Not sure if I should just replace them all...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Gratefully,
*John

I used to charge the battery on my bike using the power outlet. Now, the charger doesn't recognize that there's a battery at all through the power port. No voltage showing on the outlet itself. Ditto a couple of add-on outlets the previous owner added.

All fuses look good. They are the old type with the fuse wire exposed at the top. Not sure if I should just replace them all...
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Gratefully,
*John

"looks good" is not good enough.

Put a voltmeter on the output side of each fuse with the key ON. Check for 12V on the output side of the fuse. Or just buy a few new 15A fuses and start with replacing fuse 3.

Hmmm! More than one outlet losing power at the same time. Hmmm?

I would look to see how/where these outlets are connected. Is there any common point of connection to +12v?

+1 on just replacing the fuses. Last summer my '03 R1150RT just suddenly quit running. It turned out to be a blown fuel pump fuse. The fuse looked good visibly, but I guess after 16 years it just gave up. There was nothing wrong with the fuel pump or any of the wiring.

Replacing the fuse is the best thing to try. I have had fuses look good, test good with continuity, but open when a load was applied.

Thanks so much for all the prompt and informative replies. The wisdom and experience available in this forum is amazing and gratifying.

My first shot will be to replace all the fuses in the fuse box. Sounds like the simplest and likely most effective step.

I'll let you all know what happens.

*John

No power

Plus one for what Paul said look for the crappy looking splice probably between fuse and and factory power outlet

Back