• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Tire Wear

Yesterday I received a notice from the Ebay vendor who sold me the AM26, said he was mistaken and had none in stock. So I ordered a Spitfire, which should be here by Dec 7th.

Just recently shopped for an AM26. Was told by the vendor that Avon has discontinued the AM26. The Roadrider AM26 has been replaced by the Roadrider MKII. The vendor you were using might not have them yet.

Valve Stems

The 0.453" diameter valve stems at your FLAPS are the same diameter as OEM stems. Get the shortest ones you can. The 0.625" stems are way too big.

Abysmal Rear Tire Wear

After only 5400 miles on the 2nd rear tire, a Spitfire, it is worn out. I stopped short of wearing into the cord, as I inadvertently did with the last tire, a Kenda, which yielded 3600 miles, but shoulda been changed 500 miles earlier. So after 9000 miles, now ready to mount the third tire. It seems modern tires perform great, but wear out much quicker than earlier tires. I recall getting 25,000 out of Dunlop Elite II tires before on Airheads. The BT45, which was a dual compound tire, has been discontinued and replaced by BT46, a single compound. So no more hard rubber strip in the center for mileage, just soft rubber all the way across.

Before anyone asks, no I am not an aggressive rider. I ride this Airhead as I have ridden many other MCs, don't baby it, but also don't do burnouts, only spin the wheel in mud or gravel.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

Air head tires

Sad to say with airhead tires we are becoming less and less important to the tire manufacturing companies. So, as sales fall, things get discontinued. Talking to my local airhead shop, tire availability is becoming an issue for the start of the spring season. He is not sure if this is due to simple cancellation of lines of tires for airheads or if it has something still to do with the covid problem.

As I have said, I get about 9k on a rear tire. To be honest, I have NEVER been happy with motorcycle tire wear and cost. It always irked me to get a quarter of the life of a car tire for almost triple the cost. Now I know, motorcycle tires are a different animal than a car tire, still, it is one of the negative things about motorcycle ownership I have on my list.

I don't talk much with owners of bikes with the radial tires, do they get the same or better mileage on their tires. I have also stated in past tire forums, when it comes to sport tires, I myself could not feel nor experience the difference in handling between a "sport" tire or a "touring" tire on my motorcycles. There WAS a big difference in the wear between the two with the "sport" tire wearing out in half the time.

Now I try to concentrate on finding either Metzeler or Dunlop tires to fit the back of my bike and to be honest, I don't experiment much with other brands. These two brands have given ME the best wear and handling for the cost.

I had a dual compound Dunlop tire on the back of my bike and liked it I don't think I got much more than 10K on it, at the time, I was more aggressive with my riding style and had worn through a couple of "sport" tires. Not wanting to waste money, I tried the long mileage tire. I don't remember if it was discontinued before I could buy another to replace it or I just didn't feel it got any better mileage than the other touring tires. St.

Pilot Activ

I'm a little late to the party, but I get about 10K miles out of Michelin Pilot Activ's. They have been great tires....on pavement. I now live off of a dirt road (and tend to hit dirt roads more often since moving), and they most definitely do not perform in dirt or gravel when a bit worn (they are, in fact, rather terrifying!). I recently replaced them with some Continental TKC 70's, so we'll see how those do once the snow finally melts here in upstate NY......(I'm counting the days).

ECJ

Still Experiencing Ridiculous Rear Tire Wear

Looks like the current rear tire, an Avon, is gonna yield around 7000 miles. If staying strictly local, I could probably squeeze 8000 out of it, but have upcoming trips, 400 to 800 miles away, and don't wanna ride afar on a marginal tire. Gonna try a Metzler Roadtec 01 next, in my quest to find a tire that lasts at least 10,000 miles. Obviously something is different in modern MC tires. As mentioned before, I used to get 25,000 out of the Dunlop Elites, back in the 1990s. My riding habits have not changed, but rubber compound seems different. Nowadays much ado is made about tires' ability to cling to road surfaces, but the downside is they wear out quickly. Only good news, looks like the front tire, also an Avon, is gonna last maybe 20,000.

On the GL1800 GoldWing, I can get 25,000 out of a run flat car tire on the rear, and most GL1800 riders get 15,000 - 20,000 out of an Elite IV on the rear. Not sure what's up with rear tire wear on the Airhead, but I ain't liking it.

Another Tire Worn Out, This Time 7300 Miles

Looks like the current rear tire, an Avon, is gonna yield around 7000 miles. If staying strictly local, I could probably squeeze 8000 out of it, but have upcoming trips, 400 to 800 miles away, and don't wanna ride afar on a marginal tire. Gonna try a Metzler Roadtec 01 next, in my quest to find a tire that lasts at least 10,000 miles. Obviously something is different in modern MC tires. As mentioned before, I used to get 25,000 out of the Dunlop Elites, back in the 1990s. My riding habits have not changed, but rubber compound seems different. Nowadays much ado is made about tires' ability to cling to road surfaces, but the downside is they wear out quickly. Only good news, looks like the front tire, also an Avon, is gonna last maybe 20,000.

On the GL1800 GoldWing, I can get 25,000 out of a run flat car tire on the rear, and most GL1800 riders get 15,000 - 20,000 out of an Elite IV on the rear. Not sure what's up with rear tire wear on the Airhead, but I ain't liking it.
A few days ago I replaced the Metzler Roadtec 01, after 7300 miles it was down to the cord. From the first mile with this tire, I made conscientious effort to avoid jackrabbit take offs, in attempt to reduce tread scrub as much as possible. Still, it only lasted 300 miles more than the Avon it replaced. So, in less than 24,000 miles now, I am on the 5th rear tire. The last two were best, at around 7000, and the first (a Kenda) was the worst, at around 3600 miles. Back in the day, I used to get 20,000 to 25,000 out of a rear Dunlop E2, but those are long gone. I've said it before, and will say it again, I believe tire compounds have changed; they stick better in all conditions, but the trade off is less mileage. Curiously, the front tire, an Avon RR, now has a bit over 20,000 miles. It is due for change, but still has fairly good tread, it's just a bit too wavy at this point. I plan to replace it with a BT46. Guess we just have to get used to changing rear tires more often on our Airheads now days.

Last edited:
In 20 years of owning my 1978 R80/7 I've NEVER gotten 7 K from a rear tire.
I once got 8K from a front, a Spitfire, once.
#GetOverIt
Nick

Here's 8113 miles on a 4.00-18 Pilot Activ:

8113-L.jpg

I cannot conceive of getting 20K miles out of a moto tire these days.

I've been through a few sets of Pilots Actives but they have been replaced with a new tire this year. It was unavailable when I last needed a set, so I've got a set of ContiGos presently. Grippy, but they do funny stuff when leaned over. I'll be servicing the head bearings to see if that might be the issue.

Here's 8113 miles on a 4.00-18 Pilot Activ:

I cannot conceive of getting 20K miles out of a moto tire these days.

I've been through a few sets of Pilots Actives but they have been replaced with a new tire this year. It was unavailable when I last needed a set, so I've got a set of ContiGos presently. Grippy, but they do funny stuff when leaned over. I'll be servicing the head bearings to see if that might be the issue.

If you thought that the Pilot Active wore quickly, then you better keep a close eye on the ContiGo tire. They handle fabulously, but they were the fastest wearing tires I have ever had on my Airhead

Back