Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rear Tire Wear

off road

Joe, I'm with you on taking an airhead off road. I don't with mine, not like the guys I mentioned in my post, that is just crazy. I do however get onto dirt roads or back roads in fact I was rambling the other day on my RS and found the pavement running out and a fairly well groomed dirt road taking its place. The RS behaved herself because I didn't go crazy.

Nope, if I want to take an airhead off road, I will buy a GS or build a scrambler. To be honest, I have zero skills for riding off the pavement so if the dirt road gets too bad, I freak out. All I can imagine on my RT and RS is the trouble and cost to replace fiberglass fairing parts if I should dump the bikes, LOL.

Just thinking an evil thought, I get such a kick out of guys who put huge off road tires on their pick up trucks, crank them into the stratosphere and never get them dirty. Macho mania at its finest. LOL. Cheers St.

Wearing The Tire More

Today's ride put a bit more wear on the Kenda tire. Of the 135 miles, a few miles were on gravel, including one of my favorites that run through a creek bed for a few hundred yards. Never any problems on this road, but I would not even think of going through there if there's been recent rain. 20201120_114853.jpg20201120_114934.jpg
    BMWMOA #24809

Road

Hey Joe, that looks like the road going back into my grandparents house and our old family hang out. I remember the days when PA was still producing oil and roads like that were all over the place. My mom used to use the old "I used to walk a mile in the snow and mud to get to the school bus". Yes she did they lived a mile and a half off a paved road.

Anyway, I have been on roads like that on my RT a lot of times and I agree, I wouldn't ride them after a rain, a few times I had to and the street tires were fine.

Thanks for triggering the memory machine. St.

By the way, these were the roads I learned to drive on. My older cousin taught me in a 64 Scout 80, then one summer my dad purchased an old clapped out Mercury. The first day of driving the Merc, we tore out the exhaust up to the headers and the rear brake line got ripped out all on rocks. Day two the power steering lines went the same route as the brake lines and exhaust. The drum brakes in the front were so out of adjustment stomping on them caused a veer to the left. We just compensated for it and drove. A week later, my uncle forgot to compensate and veered into a tree. Thus ended the joy ride in the Merc.

Mixed feelings now as those glorious roads are mostly gone now. Oil production shut down, equipment was pulled out, wells plugged and the land sold to timber companies. Timber companies don't really need roads to use every day so in time, the oil company roads washed out of grew in. The only time they are opened up is just long enough for the log skidders and then they never match the quality of the oil roads.

AM26 It Is

Quote Originally Posted by kinterridge View Post
    I get 10 -12,000 miles out of the Avon AM26 Roadrider, rear, best performer I've had on my R100S.
    I just ordered an AM26 on eBay. Thanks for your input.

Thanks to all for your input here. I am sure there are several good tires out there, looks like I'll get opportunity to check the AM26 out first hand.
    BMWMOA #24809

AM26 Now Bridgestone Spitfire S11

Yesterday I received a notice from the Ebay vendor who sold me the AM26, said he was mistaken and had none in stock. So I ordered a Spitfire, which should be here by Dec 7th. That gives me time to get to a few things on the bike's to-do list: R&R sterling head bearings; install Progressive fork springs and fork seals; front tire; air filter, and miscellaneous other.

Does anyone know if the front & rear valve stems are common size, and available at FLAPS? Or are they odd ball size, so I need to get them from one of our vendors?

UPDATE: Never mind on the valve stems, I just looked it up in our archives, and it takes the common, small one. But the front needs to be short as possible, for my gauge's clearance.

Thanks Much,
    Joe H
    BMWMOA #24809

Quote Originally Posted by jhall View Post
    Yesterday I received a notice from the Ebay vendor who sold me the AM26, said he was mistaken and had none in stock. So I ordered a Spitfire, which should be here by Dec 7th.

Just recently shopped for an AM26. Was told by the vendor that Avon has discontinued the AM26. The Roadrider AM26 has been replaced by the Roadrider MKII. The vendor you were using might not have them yet.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Valve Stems

The 0.453" diameter valve stems at your FLAPS are the same diameter as OEM stems. Get the shortest ones you can. The 0.625" stems are way too big.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Abysmal Rear Tire Wear

After only 5400 miles on the 2nd rear tire, a Spitfire, it is worn out. I stopped short of wearing into the cord, as I inadvertently did with the last tire, a Kenda, which yielded 3600 miles, but shoulda been changed 500 miles earlier. So after 9000 miles, now ready to mount the third tire. It seems modern tires perform great, but wear out much quicker than earlier tires. I recall getting 25,000 out of Dunlop Elite II tires before on Airheads. The BT45, which was a dual compound tire, has been discontinued and replaced by BT46, a single compound. So no more hard rubber strip in the center for mileage, just soft rubber all the way across.

Before anyone asks, no I am not an aggressive rider. I ride this Airhead as I have ridden many other MCs, don't baby it, but also don't do burnouts, only spin the wheel in mud or gravel.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement.
    BMWMOA #24809

Air head tires

Sad to say with airhead tires we are becoming less and less important to the tire manufacturing companies. So, as sales fall, things get discontinued. Talking to my local airhead shop, tire availability is becoming an issue for the start of the spring season. He is not sure if this is due to simple cancellation of lines of tires for airheads or if it has something still to do with the covid problem.

As I have said, I get about 9k on a rear tire. To be honest, I have NEVER been happy with motorcycle tire wear and cost. It always irked me to get a quarter of the life of a car tire for almost triple the cost. Now I know, motorcycle tires are a different animal than a car tire, still, it is one of the negative things about motorcycle ownership I have on my list.

I don't talk much with owners of bikes with the radial tires, do they get the same or better mileage on their tires. I have also stated in past tire forums, when it comes to sport tires, I myself could not feel nor experience the difference in handling between a "sport" tire or a "touring" tire on my motorcycles. There WAS a big difference in the wear between the two with the "sport" tire wearing out in half the time.

Now I try to concentrate on finding either Metzeler or Dunlop tires to fit the back of my bike and to be honest, I don't experiment much with other brands. These two brands have given ME the best wear and handling for the cost.

I had a dual compound Dunlop tire on the back of my bike and liked it I don't think I got much more than 10K on it, at the time, I was more aggressive with my riding style and had worn through a couple of "sport" tires. Not wanting to waste money, I tried the long mileage tire. I don't remember if it was discontinued before I could buy another to replace it or I just didn't feel it got any better mileage than the other touring tires. St.

Pilot Activ

I'm a little late to the party, but I get about 10K miles out of Michelin Pilot Activ's. They have been great tires....on pavement. I now live off of a dirt road (and tend to hit dirt roads more often since moving), and they most definitely do not perform in dirt or gravel when a bit worn (they are, in fact, rather terrifying!). I recently replaced them with some Continental TKC 70's, so we'll see how those do once the snow finally melts here in upstate NY......(I'm counting the days).

ECJ

Still Experiencing Ridiculous Rear Tire Wear

Looks like the current rear tire, an Avon, is gonna yield around 7000 miles. If staying strictly local, I could probably squeeze 8000 out of it, but have upcoming trips, 400 to 800 miles away, and don't wanna ride afar on a marginal tire. Gonna try a Metzler Roadtec 01 next, in my quest to find a tire that lasts at least 10,000 miles. Obviously something is different in modern MC tires. As mentioned before, I used to get 25,000 out of the Dunlop Elites, back in the 1990s. My riding habits have not changed, but rubber compound seems different. Nowadays much ado is made about tires' ability to cling to road surfaces, but the downside is they wear out quickly. Only good news, looks like the front tire, also an Avon, is gonna last maybe 20,000.

On the GL1800 GoldWing, I can get 25,000 out of a run flat car tire on the rear, and most GL1800 riders get 15,000 - 20,000 out of an Elite IV on the rear. Not sure what's up with rear tire wear on the Airhead, but I ain't liking it.
    BMWMOA #24809