• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Turn signal woes (R1150R)

insanehussain

My left turn signal recently got stuck in the on position and stayed that way... Left side front and rear turn signals were stuck in solid on position, along with the associated instrument cluster lamp. By the time, I got home the left rear signal was out.

The switch itself appeared to be working, used some compressed air and contact cleaner on it regardless.

Bulb and contacts were all good on the left rear, replaced bulb regardless. Still doesn't come on. (Same bulb will work just fine swapping with the front)

Replaced turn signal relay with Kisan SM5 (less than half the price of BMW OE). It fixed the problem with the left turn signals getting stuck in the on (solid) position. Everything works as it should now, except for the left rear lamp.

The contacts and visible wiring connectors at both the lamp end and relay end look good. Do I have a wiring problem between the relay and the lamp and is this next best course to investigate?

[emoji853] Any suggestions/ recommendations please?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If the lamp was on continuously for a long length of time the plastic socket/reflector assembly may have overheated and distorted.
The contacts may not be making to the lamp.
Remove it from the bike and power it directly first to confirm it is functional.
If ok confirm the wiring of the disconnected wires.
The Brown should have continuity to ground
The Blue/red should have continuity to the Blue/red Front left socket

If you need a new socket send me a PM, I have some as new used ones.

Last edited:
Thanks GSAddict!

Bulb did not power directly.
Socket/reflector assembly looks good. Bulb makes contact, and contact points are clean.

Have continuity on brown to ground.

NO continuity on front blue/red to rear blue/red... Narrow down further?

Thanks GSAddict!

Bulb did not power directly.
Socket/reflector assembly looks good. Bulb makes contact, and contact points are clean.

Have continuity on brown to ground.

NO continuity on front blue/red to rear blue/red... Narrow down further?

Check that the wire is not corroded/broken at the crimp spade.

Then look for damage leaving the turnsignal.

The Blue/Red is spliced to the front TSL, the telltale indicator L and pin 12 of the turnsignal relay socket at point X9483 by the engine or inside the fuse box.
I'll look at a harness tomorrow to confirm where that splice is.
If the front TS and indicator work, the problem lies in the wire running aft.

Thanks for looking and helping with this GSAddict.

No corrosion on the spade connector and nothing untoward on the visible wiring at the left/rear turn signal.

And yes- the front turn signal and instrument cluster turn signal work just fine.

Thanks again- appreciate the assist here.

Looked at an 1150 Harness
The splice point is in the fuse box (accessible from underneath - PITA to get at.
There is a small harness that comes out of the back of the fuse box that goes aft to a 6 pin connector (pin5) along the top of the fender under the seat.
Confirm that it is firmly seated.
Inspect and test the wire from from that point aft and then forward to pin 12 of the TS relay socket

Back