• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Average MPG on your RS?

brownie0486

I bought the 2016 RS a month ago. I've logged 47-50mpg on each tank. That includes some around town, twisties, and highways in various combinations.

My dealer/mechanic thought I'd get high 30's per gallon. I've quite a bit over that guess. I haven't taken the bike over 5Krpm's and usually shift at 38-4100 rpm's so I'm not one to be revving the motor much [ IOW, I don't horse the bike up through the gears ]. I carry 20#'s of kit total between panniers and another 7# in the soft top case.

What are others getting for mpg on their RS?

Just curious if it's the way I ride my motors or is this close to normal on these bikes

On two trips to Colorado this year my trip average was over 50mpg.
A trip to Arkansas was 49 or 50 mpg.
On my wife's RS she got the same trip avg on the Arkansas trip and I think she got one to two mpg less than me.

On two trips to Colorado this year my trip average was over 50mpg.
A trip to Arkansas was 49 or 50 mpg.
On my wife's RS she got the same trip avg on the Arkansas trip and I think she got one to two mpg less than me.

I know you two do a lot of miles, so your results on the same bike, that mirror my own so far, is encouraging.

If I stay on the secondary roads, with out bags or top box, crusing 50-60 I get upwards of 55mpg.

If I go on the interstate with bags and top box (about a 5mpg hit) cruse 70-80 I get about 45

Aggressive mountain twisties 40 to 100, avg RPM 6000.... a lot less but what fun!

ps well broken in 40k miles

46-47

I average 46-47; 70-75 mph on the slab, spirited on the 2 lanes. Buddy with XR is 10-12 mph less.

Last edited:
At a cruise-controlled 120km/h, I use 4.5 liters per 100km. That works out to 51.6 mpg at 75 MPH. Couldn't be happier.

Back