• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

When did BMW start giving service due warnings on dashboard?

I’ve mentioned before taking my ‘09 F800GS in for a front tire and oil and filter change and finding the reminder still ON when I picked up the bike. When I asked why it was still on, the response was that I hadn’t asked for it to be turned off. :banghead Turning/resetting the reminder is/was an extra charge.
Not understanding that logic, I haven’t been back. Local and disappointing.
OM

This is crazy. I can't imagine a good dealership doing this. Did they charge you extra to replace the filler cap after they poured the oil into the case? Who was the shop?

E.

An oil, filter and tire change is not a full service. You ordered services ala carte, and forgot to order dessert.

If all the work required for a maintenance interval is requested, resetting the reminder is included as one of the last of the items on the list.

Last edited:
An oil, filter and tire change is not a full service. You ordered services ala carte, and forgot to order desert.

If all the work required for a maintenance interval is requested, resetting the reminder is included as one of the last of the items on the list.

Okay.... not being organized enough to tell me that in advance , I haven’t been back. I’m not a fan of extracting basic information from places that I’m doing some business with.
OM

This is crazy. I can't imagine a good dealership doing this. Did they charge you extra to replace the filler cap after they poured the oil into the case? Who was the shop?

E.

Have to say seems to be practice for a few. Have had two not do it but it was some time ago

Last edited:
An oil, filter and tire change is not a full service. You ordered services ala carte, and forgot to order dessert.

Very true, but if that is what's behind this then there is a communication weakness on the part of the service writers. I get customers all the time asking for "an oil change" and I explain to them what a Service is, and find out a bit about the service history of the bike, and go from there. I wouldn't not reset a service light because the customer only asked for an oil change, but I do make sure the customer is aware of what the scheduled maintenance involves.

Except for the last two bikes getting the 600 mile service we never get a full service. Been that way since 1984 with 11 new bikes.
I almost always do the ala carte thing and our bikes don't get connected to the computer unless I ask for it.
It's save us a lot of money to service what I can do myself, then go to the dealer for the items I'm not comfortable doing.

Very true, but if that is what's behind this then there is a communication weakness on the part of the service writers. I get customers all the time asking for "an oil change" and I explain to them what a Service is, and find out a bit about the service history of the bike, and go from there. I wouldn't not reset a service light because the customer only asked for an oil change, but I do make sure the customer is aware of what the scheduled maintenance involves.

Anton gets it :thumb
OM

Motoscan App

Downlead the Motoscan app. Pay $20 for the license fee. Reset the service indicator as well as do your own system check on the bike.

Back