• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

When did BMW start giving service due warnings on dashboard?

What year did BMW start their policy of using the onboard CPU to give the owner service due warnings on the dashboard?

I have a 2016 F800GT which has this function -- so it must be 2016 or earlier? Or was it introduced in different years for different models?

The R1200RT received the service display starting with the 2008 model year (August 2007 build date or later). My service DVD shows it as part of a "New maintenance concept".

My 2011 has that feature, I like it.

I'd have rather had a four or five digit trip meter.

I'd like a service reminder if I could reset it after service with a simple procedure, without special tools, as I can in my cars. A reset initially required dealer equipment at dealer labor rates. (That's the "New maintenance concept" I mentioned earlier.) Eventually, HexCode reverse engineered the system to create the GS-911 for several hundred dollars. The Motoscan app with an adapter may now be the least expensive option, but it is still a substantial expense that should not be necessary.

From what I can surmise:

Any bike series that was “ended” before 2008 does not seem to have it – R1150xx, R1100xx, F650xx or G650xx single-cylinder, K1300xx, K1200xx K1100xx, K100xx, airheads, etc.

The CAN-bus system first appeared in 2004 on the R1200GS and other models and series followed suit incorporating it.

When the service indicator
R-Series:
2008+ for the R1200xx (so starting mid-Hexhead)
all years of the R1200xx liquid cooled
all years of the R1250xx
all years of the R nineT

K-series:
all years of the K1600xx
2008+ for the K1300xx
2007+ for the K1200xx (seemed like the GT incorporated it this year, but the rest of the models - S, ST, LT, R, RS did not)

S-series:
all years of the S1000xx
including the HP4 race

F-series (twin-cylinder):
all years of the F650xx (starting in 2006)
all years of the F700xx (starting in 2013)
all years of the F800xx (starting in 2006)
note that earlier models may have to have the multifunction display computer option to incorporate the service indicator

C-series:
all years of the C650xx
all years of the C400xx
all years of the C-evolution, if you're one of the 3 people that own one :)
G-series:
all years of the G310xx
G650GS – unknown, but probably starting in 2012 with the Sertao?

Most of this info stolen from Hex Code: https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/function-chart

I have a 2009 RT and it has it. I ignore it. I do my own maintenance, so there's that. It's a dealer extortion indicator. Most vehicles allow the owner to reset it. Not BMW.

I have a 2009 RT and it has it. I ignore it. I do my own maintenance, so there's that. It's a dealer extortion indicator. Most vehicles allow the owner to reset it. Not BMW.

I’ve mentioned before taking my ‘09 F800GS in for a front tire and oil and filter change and finding the reminder still ON when I picked up the bike. When I asked why it was still on, the response was that I hadn’t asked for it to be turned off. :banghead Turning/resetting the reminder is/was an extra charge.
Not understanding that logic, I haven’t been back. Local and disappointing.
OM

I’ve mentioned before taking my ‘09 F800GS in for a front tire and oil and filter change and finding the reminder still ON when I picked up the bike. When I asked why it was still on, the response was that I hadn’t asked for it to be turned off. :banghead Turning/resetting the reminder is/was an extra charge.
Not understanding that logic, I haven’t been back. Local and disappointing.
OM

If they really want your business, they should do just do it. Penny wise, pound foolish.

A growing proportion of owners are appliance riders. They know little about how the bike works nor do they want to know. They are happy to rely on dealers and just pay whatever. These people need these reminders. The rest of us not so much.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

If they really want your business, they should do just do it. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Or.....”The oil and filter change is $xx.xx and that includes a BMW oil filter, BMW oil and a reset of the service reminder. If you would like us to check for software updates, there will be an extra charge of $xx.xx”.
OM

If you have a willing friend with a GS911 or a Motoscan, or maybe a really, really nice dealer, you can have them set the service reminder to 100,000+ miles and 1/1/2100, then you won't have to see them for a while :)

Back