• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NAV6 cradle is locked, no key

brownie0486

I bought a new/used nav6 lockable cradle for my 2016 r1200rs from a guy in WV. He said he'd leave it unlocked, but alas, when I put the protective cover on the cradle, I discovered it's locked.

Suggestions on getting it unlocked? Once unlocked, getting a key to fit it?

Thanks

If the mount is locked the sliding tab on the back cannot be moved, so the release button on the side is inoperable. I assume that’s what you are experiencing? Removal of the lock cylinder would probably be the next step. I’ve not done that on a Nav mount, but suspect the procedure for doing that might be the same as for removing lock cylinders on BMW luggage. You can find links to that procedure by typing "site:forums.bmwmoa.org remove lock cylinder bmw luggage” into a search engine, plus there are numerous YouTube videos demonstrating the process as well.

Your dealer/tech will likely be able to help with that as well, a visit that makes sense anyway since you may want to order a lock cylinder keyed to your bike (part# 51257681200)

Best,
DeVern

Dealer said they may have to take the cradle apart to remove the cylinder.

Cradle doesn't look like it's something you can take apart, at least not in the area the lock is located.

But appreciate the reply

That lock cylinder is the same one used on much of the model range that uses the double-cut key, clear back to 2005 or so. Your dealer may not be familiar with the removal process and the small tool that is used to release the lock retention tab at the internal end of the lock cylinder. Have a look at the videos here and here.

Of course, you always have the option of sending it back to the seller and have the seller unlock it and ship it back.

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
The reason the seller left it locked was because the key can not be removed if the lock is unlocked. The only way to remove the key is in the locked position. Stupid design, but it is what it is.

The mount is going to be useless without a matching key so you will need to take the lock apart to reconfigure it for your ignition key. Follow the on-line instruction mentioned in a previous post to get the lock out. There is a separate re-key link as well. (go to part 2 of the instructions)

All the advice given so far concerning removal of the lock barrel is good information, however, once you get the barrel out of the mount, there is another obstacle to overcome. The lock barrels for the GPS units and the ignition (assuming a keyed ignition switch) have a security pin that prevents you from rekeying the lock, unless the security pin is removed. It's a real PITA to do.

You first have to remove the silver end cap from the barrel by prying it off the end of the barrel - no easy task, as you need to keep from deforming it so you can reuse it. You've got to be careful when the end cap comes off because there are 2 very small dust covers under the cap held in place by 2 tiny springs. You don't want to lose those.

Once you have the cap off you'll find the security pin on the side of the barrel key slot. It's about the length and diameter of a straight pin and comes out easily. It runs the length of the barrel and holds all the tumblers in place so they can't be removed for rekeying. Once the security pin is removed, the tumblers can be removed and replaced for regular rekeying.

The really tough part is replacing the dust covers, springs, and end cap, so that the unit is again intact. Reshaping the end cap so it will stay on will take some doing. After all this is accomplished, the videos posted here will guide you through rekeying.

An easier way to go would be to order a lock barrel using your VIN from your dealer, so that your current key will work. My dealer had several lock barrels, with keys, they had removed from other bikes and they gave me a couple to play with. I then used the procedure described above to rekey the GPS mount. On another application, I simply used one of the free barrels I got with the key that came with it and therefore didn't have to rekey at all - I just have 2 keys for that bike.

One last word about the lock barrels. The GPS barrels are not the same barrels used on the panniers. They are not interchangeable. Rekeying is identical, but the barrels are not interchangeable.

I bought a new/used nav6 lockable cradle for my 2016 r1200rs from a guy in WV. He said he'd leave it unlocked, but alas, when I put the protective cover on the cradle, I discovered it's locked.

Suggestions on getting it unlocked? Once unlocked, getting a key to fit it?

Thanks

Any chance of contacting the seller and asking him for the key?

I will move this discussion to the Gear section later on.

OM

If the mount came off a fairly new bike, I doubt the previous owner is going to want to part with his key fob which comes with the bike, and keys all the locks on the bike, including the GPS mount. With the new bikes you only get 1 fob.

An easier way to go would be to order a lock barrel using your VIN from your dealer, so that your current key will work. My dealer had several lock barrels, with keys, they had removed from other bikes and they gave me a couple to play with. I then used the procedure described above to rekey the GPS mount. On another application, I simply used one of the free barrels I got with the key that came with it and therefore didn't have to rekey at all - I just have 2 keys for that bike.

Absolutely the easiest fix once the cylinder is removed. It’s a $70 part that requires presenting VIN and documented proof of ownership to the ordering dealer.

One last word about the lock barrels. The GPS barrels are not the same barrels used on the panniers. They are not interchangeable. Rekeying is identical, but the barrels are not interchangeable.

Interesting, I’m curious as to what is the difference. RealOEM shows part# 51257681200 as the replacement lock cylinder for the GPS Prep package, as shown here. Pulling up the list of other bikes or locations where that part number applies gets this list, which shows that cylinder being used in quite a number of panniers and cases. So, I’m curious as to what is different between the GPS Prep cylinder and the pannier cylinders.

Best
DeVern

Well, I haven't looked up the part numbers, because the ones I have have either been given to me, or came with some panniers and / or GPS mounts I have purchased from other owners. but here is a picture for comparison. The 2 on the left are for the GPS / ignition locks. The 2 on the right are for the panniers and top boxes. Note the difference in the shape of the inserted end of the barrels. They are not interchangeable.

If you look at the pannier locks you can easily see how the locks work when unlocked and open, without too much difficulty. Same goes for the GPS locks if you disassemble the mechanism and look where the barrel tab inserts into the locking tab.

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 873
All four barrels pictured are for double cut keys. If you look at post #6 from azgman, you'll see the exact same barrels in his "re-key link," and you'll notice his double cut key in use there. However, also note that that link is for pannier locks and there is no security pin for pannier locks, so rekeying them is much, much simpler. Since I haven't yet used the 2 pannier lock barrels on the right, they don't have an assigned key, hence one is not in the picture.

BTW, for simplicity, if one is so inclined, you don't have to use all the tumblers when rekeying a barrel - one will work, but that makes it very easy to unlock with almost any key. The more tumblers used, the more secure the lock.

It would be interesting to know the year/model source of the lock cylinders on the right. Also, I have probably used an incorrect term term in reference to the newer keys that are cut on the sides, not the edges. I’m wondering if the change in cylinder ends happened as part of the changeover to the side-cut keys.

The MAXBMW fiche shows the 51257681200 cylinder as matching your cylinders on the left. That’s for the cylinder ordered by VIN, and the same part# and diagram are shown for the case locks. The replacement dealer-keyed cylinder, #51257698204, is shown as NA—likely a result of BMW’s increased attention to key security. My concern is with panniers, as in the past I’ve ordered two sets of replacement panniers for bikes being refurbed or modified, one used set using dealer-rekeyed cylinders and the other a new set using the 200 part number, all using the side-cut keys and looking like below. If I have to do it again I would hate to end up with a new set of cylinders that didn’t properly fit or engage...

BFC16AF4-6CD5-49EB-9C99-4E4AC955C91E.jpeg

Best,
DeVern

As I said in an earlier post, "If you look at the pannier locks you can easily see how the locks work when unlocked and open, without too much difficulty. Same goes for the GPS locks if you disassemble the mechanism and look where the barrel tab inserts into the locking tab."

I have taken a picture of the lock barrel tab in the pannier of my 2020 R1250 GSA. The barrel tab is exactly like the tab pictured in my original photo (the ones on the right), so there hasn't been a recent change unless my brand new panniers are using really old locking mechanisms, which I seriously doubt. The ones on my 2006 GS were the same as well, as are the ones on my 2015 R1200R. I'd take a photo of the GPS lock barrels I have, but removing them with a paper clip can sometimes be very quick or on the other hand, might require a little time. I'd rather not spend the time, but trust me, they are identical to the ones pictured on the left in my original photo. I have removed the security pins from 4 different mounts for friends and rekeyed numerous panniers and am fairly certain that nothing has changed in years, with the exception that the locking tumbler or wafer used to be a rectangular or 4 sided wafer instead of a 3 sided tumbler / wafer making removal much easier with a paper clip. I have managed to find several of the 4 sided or rectangular locking tumblers / wafers and highly recommend using those. The other small change is in the non secure barrel lock covers that are for the panniers and top boxes - they are sometimes silver and sometimes black. I have both.

Attachments

• IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 244
Back