• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Michelin Road 5 Trail - Dunlop Trail Smart - Continental Trail Attack?

exploreinman

Looking to try new tires on my 2016 R1200GS and looking at Michelin Road 5 Trail, Dunlop Trail Smart, Continental Trail Attack. Ride mainly pavement so don't need knobbies. Have had Michelin Anakee, Anakee Adventure, and Metzler Tourance Next tires.

Yes it's for real. They fully disclose these are dated from '16 and '17. Hard to pass up the savings!

A 3 year old tire is not really "old". Most manufacturers say up to 5 years old is just fine., assuming proper storage.

Right now I go through about a set a year, 7000-8500 miles. I'd do more if I had the time! I just read an article that said don't buy new tires with a manufacture date over 5 years.

Both sets I've purchased have date codes in Late 2017.
They are reported to have been stored in an environmentally controlled warehouse.
Both sets of tires are soft and pliable and exhibit no evidence of UV or Ozone exposure.

Ride more - Worry less!

How do you know if a tire that old is still good?
Retailer also states these have been in climate controlled environment. I have pulled the trigger on a set but only have 3k miles on them. Front is a '16 and rear '17. At the price I had to pull the trigger.

I have 3 or 4 sets of Michelin Desert tires that were supposed to be ridden in the '08 Dakar. they came with my KTM 525 XCW that also was not ridden as that's the one they cancelled. I will be burning up the tires on the 525 somewhere in the future.

Back