• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

E W S R1200RT died. Ring antenna?

Hope this is the correct spot to post this. A few miles from home (after about a 75 mile ride) my bike suddenly died and "E W S" flashing on the panel. I was able to pull over. I turned of the ignition and than back on and it started back up so I was able to ride it home. Has any one else had to deal with the Ring Antenna as that would seem to be the problem now I am very concerned about being stranded in the mountains if this happens again or having it die while pulling into traffic.. the bike is a 2006 r1200RT

EWS antenna failures were quite common in the 06-07 models. There was a recall in 08 that seemed to solve the problem. Do you know the history of the bike well enough to know if the recall was performed? If not, then a dealer can tell you? If the recall was not performed, then you may still get a new one installed under the recall. Before the antenna on my 07 RT was performed I carried a spare antenna. If my OE antenna failed I could plug in the new one and zip tie it near the ignition until I could install it. The OE antennas were installed with anti-tamper fasteners. If those type fasteners are present on your bike, then it likely that the OE antenna is still installed.

EWS antenna failures were quite common in the 06-07 models. There was a recall in 08 that seemed to solve the problem. Do you know the history of the bike well enough to know if the recall was performed? If not, then a dealer can tell you? If the recall was not performed, then you may still get a new one installed under the recall. Before the antenna on my 07 RT was performed I carried a spare antenna. If my OE antenna failed I could plug in the new one and zip tie it near the ignition until I could install it. The OE antennas were installed with anti-tamper fasteners. If those type fasteners are present on your bike, then it likely that the OE antenna is still installed.

We were miles from the edge of nowhere in South Africa on a Ayres Adentures tour when the antenna ring failed on Ron's brand new R1200GS. Cape Town did not have one. Jo'berg did not have one. Windhoek did not have one. So the weeks old R1200 went on the trailer and the spare F650 became the tour guide bike. At those moments I concluded that motorcycle theft must be a whole lot worse in the European Union that it was in rural Kansas. :)

thanks for the reply. If I am looking at the correct spot it is secured with two Philips head so probably done..
at any rate from what I have read is once it dies that's it until its replace but I was able to start my bike up again and get it home. when it stops snowing I might pay the dealer ship to read the codes. The book I have makes it sound complicated (need to remove the fuel take even to get to it) but if this is going to happen I would like to be able to fix it myself.

Back